Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

On spamming:

I know people who break their balls at it, and they still can't get plays. Spend money on making music videos, get their cronies to get them write ups in national newspapers, have slick sounding production. Collect friends phone numbers - and then send spam sms's to their friends (oh I really loved that one). They still can't get plays. The spamming more likely than not works against them.

Though, if you work on your song writing and production skills - and then write a good song. That song will spam itself.

And it probably works better that way. You're best to avoid over exposure while you're still crap. And then genuine attention will let you know if you're doing something right. And being genuinely ignored will also tell you something.

In music there's always been spam. That's what Westlife and Boyzone are - spam bands. Westlife and Boyzone succeeded through a relentless and merciless campaign of well financed spamming. Unless you have the cash to compete with their spam it's pointless trying.

It's a waste of time and money trying to push something that people have to be brainwashed into liking. Good music is very convincing and compelling by itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

krd wrote: »
    It's really good.

The production could do with some tightening - some of the panning effect is a little too extreme - and you could take some elements and try to bring them out here and there. I think the piano is too strong for everything else. A thinner piano sound with some reverb might work better. I know people use to use Casio tone keyboards for piano sounds - the Casio tone piano sounds are very thin and sound cheap and cheesy by themselves - but they're very thin and can fit much better in busy music.

But it's really interesting song. The drums and voice are really good. The drums are kind of like very early human league. there is a feeling that comes across in the drums and singing.

I think you've got something a lot of people would like to hear. It could probably do with some more production work to do it justice. To bring out the good elements more and push back the bits that aren't so important.

Get some 80s stuff like early human league and Alison Moyet (I think she was in Yazoo) listen to it and try and focus on getting the emotion and feeling. You have it there in the song already - and that's really what turns people on. I think the emotion in the piano bits may be clashing with the voice and the drums. But I think it is a song a lot of people would like to hear. It would also probably sound great in different remix versions

Cheers KRD,

Yeah, there are definitely problems with the track, but that's ok as we are still very much in the learning phase.

Your comments and others, help us to see where we got things wrong. Sometimes you can be to close to something to really see what's working and what isn't.

Thanks

Rock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I get genuine lulz out of receiving 'somedickhead shared a track with you and 1978 other people'.
    On my kid handsome account I would daily get messages begging me to listen to their tracks and give feedback. I did it once or twice and was honest and the person unfollowed me!! haha.

I have yet to come across a proper artist who follows more than a handful of people, and in fact most of the professional artists on there only follow their mates and their own labels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 criostoir

jtsuited wrote: »
    I get genuine lulz out of receiving 'somedickhead shared a track with you and 1978 other people'.
    On my kid handsome account I would daily get messages begging me to listen to their tracks and give feedback. I did it once or twice and was honest and the person unfollowed me!! haha.

I have yet to come across a proper artist who follows more than a handful of people, and in fact most of the professional artists on there only follow their mates and their own labels.

Yeah, well the whole Soundcloud following thing is a kind of nonsense. Same with Myspace - it's turned into thousands of bands trying to spam each other.

The real thing with Soundcloud is the link directly to the track can be easily posted in other places like blogs or where ever it is people post these things.

No one likes getting spammed. And with spamming it's become harder to hear music you might want to hear. It just doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Would ANYONE AT ALL care to listen to my latest tune and let me know what they think?

Anyone?

i have no comments at all :(

http://soundcloud.com/v-force/adebisi-shank-genki-shank-v-force-remix

There, I got around to listening to it.

It's good, can't think of much more to say.

criostoir wrote: »

I listened. I liked the glitched bits. I'm not sure about the echo on some of the drum bits - the over lap sound really heavy (but my ears and head is a little ff'd so I don't know)

One thing.

If you have your track for download - when it's downloaded it comes down with the title you have on the track. So, you should probably put more detail in there. I downloaded it and it's just got the title Pick One. People are too lazy to rename these things and they get lost. You have artiste name and stuff, you know for whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 slut1

Hi! Would You be kind enough to check out my new tune? http://soundcloud.com/slut1/the-noisy-freaks-d-r-e-a-m-slut1s-wake-up-mix please leave comments on soundcloud, it will help me with that competition! :) Thanks in advance!

I've just done one.

http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-zero-hour-demo-house-breaks-135bpm

I've probably broken lots of my own rules and gone against my own advice. But what can you.

Any suggestions. I'd like to turn it into something that might get played is the idea.

The voice is mine - even the black dude, is me - I think my voice sounds cool. If you don't like my voice, it's because you have no taste. Vocals, recorded in a noisy kitchen using an inexpensive mic - a real mic not a children's toy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Left you some comments on soundcloud KRD

Been working on this all day, not sure if its finished tho

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/stephen-donaldson-maybe-later-demo-mix

SteveDon wrote: »

Thanks for the comments on my track. There's a lot more things I'd fix on the rack but I don't know how. There's a bunch on things I need to learn. I haven't made a track yet that I want to sit down and work to death until it's perfect. I'm getting there in fits and starts.

It's a good track. That swoop sound is good (the one that sounds like hand or sword or something cutting through the air)- but I think you've over used it. Or it just sounds too the same each time it's used.

Steve, I think your production skills are great.

But there's one thing crucially missing from your stuff.

The powerful pulsating dancing groove. Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I4_tyrqAvQ

I have no idea how to create it - or what these people are doing. Eventually, I will - as the plan goes. I have no idea what it is - it's the thing though that gets your head bobbing.

And once you find out - you'll tell me - but don't tell any of the other pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Starfox wrote: »

That's pretty good. It sounds like a lot of work went into that. You should send it to the trance labels. It sounds ready to go.

How do you get that sucking sound on your drums on the outro? Is that a reversed reverb? I've tried to get that sound before and it's driven me up the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

New track up on Soundcloud. Posted a zippyshare link a while ago but I've polished it a bit since. I know it could be mixed better, and is a bit rough in places, but it's about the best I could do with it.

It's a deep house reconstruction of Outlander - The Vamp, i.e. a remix not using any samples from the original.

http://soundcloud.com/frankiegrimes/outlander-the-vamp-frankie-grimes-reconstruction-mp3

That's pretty good. It sounds like a lot of work went into that. You should send it to the trance labels. It sounds ready to go.

How do you get that sucking sound on your drums on the outro? Is that a reversed reverb? I've tried to get that sound before and it's driven me up the wall.

white noise, band pass filter, and automate cut off point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 slut1

Hi! If You have a 5 minutes, please give it a listen, don't know what genre to put this on... http://soundcloud.com/slut1/the-noisy-freaks-d-r-e-a-m-slut1-remix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Starfox wrote: »

Awesome track man. The breakdown is savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Latest track from me, more tech-trance sounding than my previous stuff. Any feedback is much appreciated :)

U4EA - Red Zone
    http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/red-zone

• Advertisement

New track up on Soundcloud. Posted a zippyshare link a while ago but I've polished it a bit since. I know it could be mixed better, and is a bit rough in places, but it's about the best I could do with it.

It's a deep house reconstruction of Outlander - The Vamp, i.e. a remix not using any samples from the original.

http://soundcloud.com/frankiegrimes/outlander-the-vamp-frankie-grimes-reconstruction-mp3

That's sounds really good. Very ravy.

Suppose this is Hipster House.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Awesome track man. The breakdown is savage.

cheers m8

That's sounds really good. Very ravy.

Suppose this is Hipster House.

Thanks mate.

Hipster house is the next big thing.

Tearing my hair out with this trying to get it sound better, i think the potential is there for a good track but its just lacking something

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/stephen-donaldson-star-wars-rough-mix

Thanks mate.

Hipster house is the next big thing.

You've inspired me - I've just done some Electro House.

My You tube video ( the thingy won't work for me to embed it ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y1iV4kedmg

Wish I had a better video editing software but faq it. I couldn't even get it to work credits.

The soundcloud version sounds a lot better - You tube loses some of the nicer detail in it.
    http://soundcloud.com/the-noobian-prince/the-noobian-prince-m5-turkish-pleasure-original-electro-house-128bpm-demo

I did it very quickly and I know I could do more with it - but just wanted to get this mix of it up.

RAVE ON !!! EVERYBODY!!!

Tearing my hair out with this trying to get it sound better, i think the potential is there for a good track but its just lacking something

It's good. there's lots of good sounds on it. You could chose here and there to completely drop everything back and bring some of the percussion forward.

Pick a single element to bring aggressively forward.

Like the voice - you could drop everything back and bring the voice out (once).

The bass - the big phat one - you have it coming in full on - you should vary it more. You can drop it in and out. You might have too much off it going on at once.

Thanks for the comments on my track.

I don't really know how to do DJ friendly. I really have to sit down and learn to mix. Which I'll probably do over the next few weeks.

Or get the dummies guide to DJ ing over Christmas.

Thanks for the comments on my track.

I don't really know how to do DJ friendly. I really have to sit down and learn to mix. Which I'll probably do over the next few weeks.

Or get the dummies guide to DJ ing over Christmas.

You don't really need to learn to mix to make a track DJ friendly. It's more just making a conscious effort to do so when you're arranging the track.

Few tips, speaking moreso as a DJ than a producer:

1) Make sure there's a solid downbeat as the first sound in the track, so DJs can cue up the first beat easily. That last track I made I bounced out a version to test on club speakers which started on an off beat, and it was impossible to mix, so I simply put a percussion hit on the first beat at the start, and it helped a lot.

2) In my experience most tracks have their first drop somewhere between 1 and 2 minutes, depending on the length of the track, so try and have the start with mostly a solid drum beat, with no prominent melody or vocals, for the first 64 bars or so, so DJs can mix into it. Then have a breakdown, so they can mix out the other track, and the drop.

3) Same with the end, have about 30 seconds or so of drums, and no prominent melody or vocals with parts steadily dropping out, so the next track can be smoothly mixed in, and that when your track ends it won't be noticed.

Not sure whether this is completely **** or really good

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/stephen-donaldson-courtship-dance-work-in-progress

Please help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

The track is up two days? Get real man.

Late reply, and firstly , sorry for accusing you of group spamming, it was just that i seen the track was in 2 groups one day, and 41 the next, so a bit of an over site from me.
    we are now number 2 in the overall hotlist. 2340 plays in 2 days
    so let me take the time to address a few things here.
    the way i see it is, the only way you can get that many plays on soundcloud in that short about of time is to do the following :

Group spamming.

Privately sharing tracks to thousands of people.

mass mailing all the people you follow/followers and asking them for feedback.

external linking your track all over the net.

if your track gets a feature on big website/blog.

sitting at home all day refreshing the page and playing your own track over and over again.

using play bots.

im also looking at some of the comments on the track, where i see such comments as :
    Hey Vinny. Thanks for messaging me and asking for my comments.
    so between that and the amount of plays the track has, i can only presume you mailed the 1000 + people and asked for feedback ?

or are you still gonna try and tell me that the plays just happened and grew because your music is so popular ?

i be straight up with you, ive been on soundcloud the day it opened. seen it done it and wore the t-shirt. the only way you can get that many plays on such a short amount of time, is via all the above , not because of your skill , or because your just a nice person.

so it is YOU who needs to get real, not me. your the one with your head rammed up your arse because of all your plays and your great feedback and thats fine. but then you come here to gloath about it to everyone, and we are supposed to act dumb and say "yeah man, your brilliant ,well done"

i dont fukin think so. and ALSO :

respect the thread for what it is : post tracks/give feedback
    not : spam music on sc/ come back to boards and gloat about how over fuking brilliant you are.

there are people that use this thread genuinely, and are legitimate about what they do and post, so respect the thread!!!

and to answer some of your questions :
    Why would you not want to thank someone who likes something you've made?
    why would you feel obliged to respond to peoples comments ? can people not leave comments on your track and leave it at that, or maybe when you mail people asking them for comments then i would imagine then you would naturally be obliged to reply as you did mail the and ask them in the first place.
    We don't do it to get more plays. I fail to even see how that would work? If I make 20 comments on one of your tracks, how does that get you more plays?
    because 20 comments looks visually better than zero comments. if i see a track that's plastered in comments the first thing that comes to mind is : what's all the fuss about on this track, look at all the comments, this must be good, im gonna play and find out.

only that's the not case for me any-more, because its been over done now. so now when i see a track that has a million comments on it, i just know, i just know straight away its a pile of over-spammed sh1t
    If somebody follows me on SC, I follow them back.
    disrespectful straight away, you should ONLY follow someone on soudcloud if you like their music and your genuinely interested in them, or if they are your friend etc. following someone back because they follow you is lame and if you are gonna do that, at least take the time to listen to their music. i have people following me on soudcloud, i check out his page, he does hip hop, i aint gonna follow him back, coz i aint gonna listen to his stuff. there aint nothing worse than having people follow you and they dont listen to your stuff.
    If somebody favours one of my tracks I follow them as they like what we are doing.
    so very wrong.
    I want people to like what I'm doing
    well grow some music skills then as opposed to "the other"
    We've been lucky enough to get to work with some of the more popular people on Soundcloud
    LOL, define "popular" please.
    If they genuinely like me and I ignore them, what will they do? Stop listening as you've in effect insulted them.
    if a person stops following you because you didn't reply to one of their comments they need help, really they do, i have never heard anything so stupid in my life.

look, if you dont spam people , you wont feel so obliged to reply to people.if you make a track and someone comments, and leaves good feedback, then thats brilliant, leave it at that. if you know the person or hes been a follower for a long time or if its someone from here, the yeah , fell free to reply or whatever, but its not essential.

you have that many comments on the track you can bearly see the wave form, thats a sign these day that the track is a pile of sh1t. your track may be good, it might even be fantastic, but what your after doing to it now has just put it in a particular class. 338 comments, id say about 200 are from your self. and funny, "mo and mary" must of left about 15 comments ? ...you replied to every single one of them LMAO... ahhh im fuking done lads.

Advertisement