Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Yeah I was having trouble with chopping the samples. I was doing it in Ableton using the create MIDI slice function, creating one per warp marker, but there doesn't seem to be a way of determining the length...Suppose if I put a warp marker where I wanted the sample to end too, and then just deleted that slice...
    [/YOUTUBE]

Warp only works really well on sections that the there's a very clear time signature - other times it gets confused.

When warp works it really works well and takes the pain out of sampling. When it doesn't work it doesn't work.

It works well with drum loops that have already been cut to loop - that is if you looped the sample it will sound fine - if it's too short or too long Warp goes flaky.

The piano of your piece isn't in time - that's not warp, the piece was originally not in time. I know, I tried to cut it up.

Once a sample is in time and loops - then the slice to midi works really well. There's also groove quantisation in the slicing - which I don't know how to use or what I should be listening for.

If you find a good way to do this, let us know. I'd like to work more with samples. Raid D.I.S.C.O compilations and world music CDs for breaks and percussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

I finally got a 909 a while ago and knocked out these half-finished jam things (there's a bit of 808 in there too though):

http://soundcloud.com/splitradix/technojamthingie

http://soundcloud.com/splitradix/monday-demo-4

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

got youself a 909 ? Nice !!! i would love one of those ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

New track from me. Its called December Blues and probably the last track I'll get around to finishing this year. To everyone on this forum, happy christmas and here's to 2011! ;)

U4EA - December Blues
    http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/december-blues

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I've made a stab at doing at doing some drum n bass. Would really appreciate any feed back. Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/whiterob

• Advertisement

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I've made a stab at doing at doing some drum n bass. Would really appreciate any feed back. Thanks

http://soundcloud.com/whiterob

I like the big break downs - and the build up at the start.

Your main sections in the middle and at the end. You should have put some short breaks and variations and fills in. Vary the percussion so it's not repeating - so it sounds like it's going somewhere (not like it's arrived and just hanging around)

The piano motif - you should vary that too. When it loops it doesn't sound dark and scary - it's starts to sound like a nursery rhyme thing. Another thing to try - find precisely where the kicks hit (or other heavy percussion) and move piano stabs right on them It will or should make the rhythm jump out more.

A lot of the other sounds are really good. I didn't hear the bass - I was listening on my laptop speakers.

splitrmx wrote: »
    I finally got a 909 a while ago and knocked out these half-finished jam things (there's a bit of 808 in there too though):

http://soundcloud.com/splitradix/technojamthingie

http://soundcloud.com/splitradix/monday-demo-4

The 909 sounds really good - have you tried improvising just with the 909 - They can really fill out the sound. I can't think of the name of the song - something they keep playing on the radio from the early 90s - most of the sound is, I think, just the 909 and the rest is just voice, piano chops and some bass.

I like the bits on technojamthingie after about 1.40

Monday sounds like 80s American breakdance electro - though you have a little too much going on at any one time. Some scratching and some orchestra stabs and I'll be body popping and head spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

haven't been around here for a while. still trying to settle down in Australia, and have had minimal contact with the interwebs over the last 6-8 weeks, so there's a lot of catching up to do.

got a nasty jellyfish sting yesterday (xmas day - yeah, yeah, poor little me!) and had plenty of time yesterday evening to finish off a track that's been lying around for a while, if anyone cares to have a listen.

http://soundcloud.com/lustbader/outback-dirt-bike-confusion-mix

krd wrote: »
    I like the big break downs - and the build up at the start.

Your main sections in the middle and at the end. You should have put some short breaks and variations and fills in. Vary the percussion so it's not repeating - so it sounds like it's going somewhere (not like it's arrived and just hanging around)

The piano motif - you should vary that too. When it loops it doesn't sound dark and scary - it's starts to sound like a nursery rhyme thing. Another thing to try - find precisely where the kicks hit (or other heavy percussion) and move piano stabs right on them It will or should make the rhythm jump out more.

A lot of the other sounds are really good. I didn't hear the bass - I was listening on my laptop speakers.

Hey man, thanks a million for the feedback. you've given me a good lot of ideas on what to work on. very much appreciated. hope to get back to this in the next few days.

lazyatom wrote: »
    haven't been around here for a while. still trying to settle down in Australia, and have had minimal contact with the interwebs over the last 6-8 weeks, so there's a lot of catching up to do.

got a nasty jellyfish sting yesterday (xmas day - yeah, yeah, poor little me!) and had plenty of time yesterday evening to finish off a track that's been lying around for a while, if anyone cares to have a listen.

http://soundcloud.com/lustbader/outback-dirt-bike-confusion-mix

Early 90s retro trance - pretty good job.

You were out surfing with your aussie friends and you got bit by a jellyfish - while we had the coldest winter since records began here, on top of the rest of the misery in the country - and are you looking for sympathy? Came to the wrong place my friend - pity that jellyfish didn't bite your knob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickCue

Brand New Release Last Production Track For 2010 :D!!!
    Justice style beat

Track: Cuckoo's Nest (Original Mix)
    Artist: MickCue

http://soundcloud.com/mickcue/cuckoos-nest-original-mix

Appreciate The Feedback

Thanks

Mickcue
    artworks-000003547808-2bfigk-crop.jpg?721653

MickCue wrote: »
    Brand New Release Last Production Track For 2010 :D!!!
    Justice style beat

Track: Cuckoo's Nest (Original Mix)
    Artist: MickCue

http://soundcloud.com/mickcue/cuckoos-nest-original-mix

Appreciate The Feedback

You've got some great sounds in there - but the tune is just a four bar build up you keep repeating. You've got some great sounds but switching in and out different instruments to play the same line doesn't make a tune. Daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah for four minutes - you've got a build up. But you can't just repeat the build up for four minutes.

It's a good build up but you need to put space in there. Like two separate bass melodies that the build up can go from one place to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Warp only works really well on sections that the there's a very clear time signature - other times it gets confused.

When warp works it really works well and takes the pain out of sampling. When it doesn't work it doesn't work.

It works well with drum loops that have already been cut to loop - that is if you looped the sample it will sound fine - if it's too short or too long Warp goes flaky.

The piano of your piece isn't in time - that's not warp, the piece was originally not in time. I know, I tried to cut it up.

Once a sample is in time and loops - then the slice to midi works really well. There's also groove quantisation in the slicing - which I don't know how to use or what I should be listening for.

If you find a good way to do this, let us know. I'd like to work more with samples. Raid D.I.S.C.O compilations and world music CDs for breaks and percussion.

For sampling perc/breaks the quantisation is usually not too far off. I just quantise it manually from there. It's when you want to sample strings or something with no real beat for the software to distinguish that you have to do the whole thing manually with the metronome playing, at least thats what I do anyway. I usually set aside a night where ill trawl through a load of songs looking for cool samples, transfer them to Ableton then extract and make sure they're quantised properly, it's tedious but well worth it.

Also with the midi slicing, if the samples are a bit off beat you can adjust where the sample starts and ends by double clicking on whichever slice, which then expands the sample so you can see the whole waveform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Hi-dee-ho neighbours :P

Been a while since I posted a track.

I just done a remix of some electro tune called 'Off the Edge' (i think). invisible Agent records are releasing the electro tune and made the stems available there a while ago.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/red-dave/edge-red-dave-whisper-remix-v2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shoestring

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the electronic music, having started playing around with Logic and Reason and a Midi keyboard in the last few months after growing bored of making guitar music, which I'd done in bands for around 5 years previously.

I'll attach a link to my Soundcloud and my most recent Electronic songs are at the top of the 'Keys Songs' set. They're really short, so it would be great if anyone with a few spare minutes had the time to check 'em out and give me a few pointers on where I can improve. Missing the collaborative creation that my old band used to offer and finding it difficult to get any honest feedback online.

Really into post-dubstep/wonky stuff like Mount-Kimbie, Actress, Hudson Mohawke, Joy Orbison and I'd like to go in that direction eventually.

Cheers,

http://soundcloud.com/latenightshowerculture

My attempt at a kind of warehouse techno sound - lots of heavy kicks.

http://soundcloud.com/meltfunction/varehouse-wampires-mix-one-135-bpm-techno-breaks

shoestring wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to the electronic music, having started playing around with Logic and Reason and a Midi keyboard in the last few months after growing bored of making guitar music, which I'd done in bands for around 5 years previously.

I'll attach a link to my Soundcloud and my most recent Electronic songs are at the top of the 'Keys Songs' set. They're really short, so it would be great if anyone with a few spare minutes had the time to check 'em out and give me a few pointers on where I can improve. Missing the collaborative creation that my old band used to offer and finding it difficult to get any honest feedback online.

Really into post-dubstep/wonky stuff like Mount-Kimbie, Actress, Hudson Mohawke, Joy Orbison and I'd like to go in that direction eventually.

Cheers,

hi, just had a listen there, I like what you're doing on that Part of a Quart tune. It's nice and atmospheric. I'm pretty new to all this so I'm probably not the best person to be giving advice but I suppose a few things I'd point out would be the tunes seem to need more low end, maybe try adding a sub bass part and maybe a bit more kick too.

also, some of the sounds seem to overpower what you're doing a bit, like the high synth lead on Never Book Mauve or the string part on Beth Noel, maybe try fading them in a bit more or just lowering them down in the mix.

I had a listen to the guitar tunes, there's some good stuff there. The beats you have there are good.

I'd recommend checking out Computer Music Magazine, they have some good tutorials there that are worth checking out if you're getting started. And I think they might have a special on reason out this month too

http://soundcloud.com/meltfunction/varehouse-wampires-mix-one-135-bpm-techno-breaks

I like it, Really like that rolling bass that's going through it

The only thing I'll say against it is that I'm not sure if that flamming (don't know if that's the right word) snare sound that you have really fits in. it sounds a bit harsh

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I like it, Really like that rolling bass that's going through it

The only thing I'll say against it is that I'm not sure if that flamming (don't know if that's the right word) snare sound that you have really fits in. it sounds a bit harsh

The flam or fluff snare. I did that like that because - I heard someone else do it. At first I thought it sounded like crap and then I thought it sounded good.

I was at the Warehouse collectives New Years eve thing - which was in a warehouse. It's hard to explain but some of the harsh sounds really bounce off the corrugated iron walls and have a really loud industrial crunchiness to them.

I didn't have a warehouse to preview my track in. It might actually sound completely different to what I'd intended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MickCue

You've got some great sounds in there - but the tune is just a four bar build up you keep repeating. You've got some great sounds but switching in and out different instruments to play the same line doesn't make a tune. Daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah, daw nah nah nah for four minutes - you've got a build up. But you can't just repeat the build up for four minutes.

It's a good build up but you need to put space in there. Like two separate bass melodies that the build up can go from one place to another.

Thanks Appreciate the feedback, I guess im a lazy producer (3 hrs from Start to the Mastered Track) :D Buildups are not my strong point trying to brush up on that this year.

Thanks

William Shatner, Big Mama and a sense of hopelessness:

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/going-nowhere-unmastered

shoestring wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Cheers,

Hi shoestring - I had a listen to the 4 key songs. As they're quite short it's kind of hard to tell how they'd turn out as full songs. I think you need to get more of groove going with the drums as they are a little flat at the moment. Play around with hats and cymbals to get more of a dancey rhythm going. I think you're probably being a bit self conscious with making them a bit wonky. I think it might help to get a more organic and get a bit more flow going in the tunes. Even though that post dubstep can be quite jittery and full of stop/start breaks they flow of the tune is never interrupted. Never Book a Mauve is definitely being overpowered by a lot of conflicting elements so it would help to eq it a bit better and get some of the element sit together better. The drums you have in the first guitar track would make a great start for a dance tune.

Hope this helps!

red dave wrote: »
    Hi-dee-ho neighbours :P

Been a while since I posted a track.

I just done a remix of some electro tune called 'Off the Edge' (i think). invisible Agent records are releasing the electro tune and made the stems available there a while ago.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/red-dave/edge-red-dave-whisper-remix-v2

That's a quality tune dave, really liked that.

William Shatner, Big Mama and a sense of hopelessness:

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/going-nowhere-unmastered

A lot of those sounds are pretty good. The stuff going on in the background. Your stuff is sounding slicker.

I think though some of the high pitched stuff is way to loud in the mix. The background atmospheric and the drums are really interesting. You should strip out the highs and just listen back to it. And maybe use the high synth lines more sparingly.

Or try this if you fancy it: Move some of the synth hits onto the same pattern as the kick - or the same pattern as the kick but move them a note ahead - so they become rhythmic with the kick. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't - if you want it to have a more dancing feeling try get more rhythm in.

Are you still on the beach in Australia?

A lot of those sounds are pretty good. The stuff going on in the background. Your stuff is sounding slicker.

I think though some of the high pitched stuff is way to loud in the mix. The background atmospheric and the drums are really interesting. You should strip out the highs and just listen back to it. And maybe use the high synth lines more sparingly.

Or try this if you fancy it: Move some of the synth hits onto the same pattern as the kick - or the same pattern as the kick but move them a note ahead - so they become rhythmic with the kick. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't - if you want it to have a more dancing feeling try get more rhythm in.

Are you still on the beach in Australia?

Cheers for listening krd. I'm going to go back and try out some of that.

I think it's lazyatom you're thinking of there. I'm in an rain soaked office in Ireland.

Cheers for listening krd. I'm going to go back and try out some of that.

I think it's lazyatom you're thinking of there. I'm in an rain soaked office in Ireland.

Just listening to it again.

Lot's of really good stuff going on - mostly in the background though. That main hi-pitch synth you have going on - you should drop it out in places to let the background come out more (a bit like you have to go away to be missed - stay too long you wear out your welcome).

Why is it raining in your office? is this one these Irish offices that's actually in a bog field somewhere, without a roof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭grandslamsmith

This was literally a bit of crack after watching the movie for the first time sometime last year!

http://soundcloud.com/grand-slam-smith/la-mans-1962

An yes I knwo I spelt it wrong! :)

great track. definitely capture the warehouse buzz with it. if i were to make a suggestion would be to bring in another conga or two on a a rapid pattern to lie just underneath the main pattern you have going through it @2.50 mark onwards.

• Advertisement

fantastic track there man. as krd was said all the different sounds going on are really great. nice1 for the comment also

Advertisement