Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

New track up:

http://soundcloud.com/frankiegrimes/frankie-grimes-caboclo

Think after this one I'm gonna stop dabbling in island rhythms and go back to making house.

That's a really enjoyable track Frankie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gutsie

Done this wee dubstep ditty ages ago, haven't had much chance to work on anything else in a while!

http://soundcloud.com/circadian/tachyon

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Regular Al

krd wrote: »
    Very slick.

How are you doing that?

Cheers for the positive feedback krd!

I use a combination of hardware & software instruments for making tracks. I have Logic running some effects & software instruments, FM8, Arturia Analog Factory and Spectrasonics stuff being some of my favorite. One the hardware side i use a Korg MicroX mainly for pads, synths, talkbox and a Fantom for keys / acoustic sounds.

What's your setup like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Thanks for the Feedback KRD, glad you like beats!

To be honest I wasn't trying to 'do it right' - it was just a bit of larking around and more a nod to the idea of the theme.

The twangy guitar signiture riff is on that track - did you miss it? The Nu Meatal Guitar only comes in in the latter half.

Its in there on 3 occassions teh twangy stuff.

Slam

I missed the twangy guitar - must'nt've been paying that much attention. Or it could be the brain damage I'm beginning to worry I have.

I love the Bond music in general. Must give it a go sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Seán Nash - Wonderman

http://soundcloud.com/seannash/se-n-nash-wonderman-demo

Nearly done with this track just got to put an ending on it.
    Seems to be running fairly long so not sure if i should edit it or leave it

Anyway would like some comments on what to improve/get rid of before i finish it and banish it to the farthest regions of my harddrive never to be heard again

• Advertisement

Regular Al wrote: »
    Cheers for the positive feedback krd!

I use a combination of hardware & software instruments for making tracks. I have Logic running some effects & software instruments, FM8, Arturia Analog Factory and Spectrasonics stuff being some of my favorite. One the hardware side i use a Korg MicroX mainly for pads, synths, talkbox and a Fantom for keys / acoustic sounds.

What's your setup like?

My setup my laptop (which I just got a newish one as the old one blew up) and Ableton. I've lost some files, damn or they've been misplaced. I have some Roland hardware as well - but have trouble integrating it. But there's many ways to skin a cat.

seannash wrote: »
    Seán Nash - Wonderman

http://soundcloud.com/seannash/se-n-nash-wonderman-demo

Nearly done with this track just got to put an ending on it.
    Seems to be running fairly long so not sure if i should edit it or leave it

Anyway would like some comments on what to improve/get rid of before i finish it and banish it to the farthest regions of my harddrive never to be heard again

That vocal sample is really good - The two minute breakdown is very brave - Two minutes is a very long time on the dancefloor - you could spice the big breakdown with snippets of the vocal sample and then kick out it with the vocal sample, if you know what I mean.

I haven't listened to it through decent speakers yet - I just got this laptop last night.

Sean - listening to it again on better speakers - the two minute breakdown is pretty good. Though I think the second 30 seconds is missing something like a little percussion that comes in and drops out.

The outro could be twice as long though. a little shaker pattern wouldn't hurt either.

You should reverse a snare hear and there too.

edit

The outro should definitely be at least a minute longer. The more I listen to the 2 minute break the better it sounds as it is

Sean - listening to it again on better speakers - the two minute breakdown is pretty good. Though I think the second 30 seconds is missing something like a little percussion that comes in and drops out.

The outro could be twice as long though. a little shaker pattern wouldn't hurt either.

You should reverse a snare hear and there too.

edit

The outro should definitely be at least a minute longer. The more I listen to the 2 minute break the better it sounds as it is
    Hey man thanks for the listen

I havent actually added an outro yet but it will add another minute to the track
    Im honestly between two minds about the breakdown,part of me thinks it works and the other reckons its too long,tough one to call

The vocal snippet is from Stevie Wonder - Blackman,was a bitch to clean up and even then its not too clean

think i will add a shaker pattern to the track,my laptop is crashing everytime after the break so its hard for me to get a good mixdown on this one

Hey man thanks for the listen

I havent actually added an outro yet but it will add another minute to the track
    Im honestly between two minds about the breakdown,part of me thinks it works and the other reckons its too long,tough one to call

The vocal snippet is from Stevie Wonder - Blackman,was a bitch to clean up and even then its not too clean

think i will add a shaker pattern to the track,my laptop is crashing everytime after the break so its hard for me to get a good mixdown on this one

I think the long breakdown is fine. I like some of the spinning filtering effects you did on the noise - the shortening sin wave. I think it works at that length. I've listened to it with it just on in the background and it sounds the right length.

I just got new laptop - it's running very well so far - it's coping with Ableton better than the last one. Smaller monitor though.

• Advertisement

I think the long breakdown is fine. I like some of the spinning filtering effects you did on the noise - the shortening sin wave. I think it works at that length. I've listened to it with it just on in the background and it sounds the right length.

I just got new laptop - it's running very well so far - it's coping with Ableton better than the last one. Smaller monitor though.
    Cheers dude,
    Got a finished version done now with some (ahem) mastering done to it

http://soundcloud.com/seannash/se-n-nash-wonderman-original

Onto the next one:)

Cheers dude,
    Got a finished version done now with some (ahem) mastering done to it

http://soundcloud.com/seannash/se-n-nash-wonderman-original

Onto the next one:)

Yeah, that's good - really like the outro

And now for something completely different.

Rumbling minimalistic house, with no frills or drum fills. Nothing happens for ages then not much more happens.

http://soundcloud.com/krdnoobian/the-noobian-prince-noobian

I clipped the end by accident but aw f'auk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Hey folks, I reckon I'm going to redo the vocal but I think other things need tweaking too, any comments?

http://soundcloud.com/junior85/day

SteveDon wrote: »
    Ok i was a bit of a bastard there in the comments i left, but honestly i think this is your best track so far. Your getting closer with each track to getting a release quality track. Just a few things to take into account though.

First off the track does not need to be that long at all. Im sorry but 9minutes is a bit too much, youd be better of bringing it down to about 6 minutes or shorter if you can.

The main synth line needs to be kept more interesting, this can be done with extra notes here and there, also i think the sound is slightly weak for a main line. Perhaps duplicate the track and have some of the notes playing with varying colours/amounts of verb and delay.

The drums are good but they sound very weak also. They need to be higher and more punchy in the mix, if your using ableton try sticking some analog warmth of them. And duplicating the track and notes and hard panning each track left and right. If your using reason try sticking a scream4 on the redrum and choose the bass ace preset also toggle to the back and give the drums and different channel in the mixer for the left and right output. Also more fills here and there could be good.

It could also do with a subtle sub bass in there to give it more oomph.

Also attention to detail, evolve everything, filter in, filter out, mad efx.

Keep it up you are really improving.

So I reworked this tune slightly and here is the end result but tbh I don't know what it's like anymore:
    http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/cannibal-new-mix

The other track I've uploaded is Analgesia. I think its soundeing pretty good but needs a fair bitof tweaking but it'd be great to get some feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/analgesia-first-mix

Cheers

And now for something completely different.

Rumbling minimalistic house, with no frills or drum fills. Nothing happens for ages then not much more happens.

http://soundcloud.com/krdnoobian/the-noobian-prince-noobian

I clipped the end by accident but aw f'auk it.

Had a listen to this krd, some cool things happening but I think Sean has it nailed in terms of what needs to be improved on it. The intro takes a bit too long to get to the cool lead line.

Had a listen to this krd, some cool things happening but I think Sean has it nailed in terms of what needs to be improved on it. The intro takes a bit too long to get to the cool lead line.

I think you like the bits Sean hates.

The intro is meant to be too long - it's called building anticipation - like making love to a beautiful woman,you've got to build anticipation - not give the girl maximum friction straight away. I threw in all the lead stuff because I didn't have time/skillz/whateva to build it up like I would want to - building that pluck bass up - give people the Where TF did that come from - WTF was that.

Sean
    , thanks for the notes.

Thanks to Stephen Donaldson - I stole the reverby hi-hats idea from him. Call the police, Stephen - they won't even know what you're on about: "he stole my hi-hats. The muddafuka stole my hi-hats". They'll just think you're crazy. "He, took my property, that greasy mudda ****ah"

So I reworked this tune slightly and here is the end result but tbh I don't know what it's like anymore:
    http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/cannibal-new-mix

Cheers

I like Cannibal - though you could bring out the raspyness of the basses - have them jumping speaker to speaker - have your crazy bladerunner replicant come to life.

I've had to listen to the tracks with the volume turned down - because I had my neighbors downstairs pounding on the ceiling last night, and earlier tonight. I do not want to carelessly engineer a situation where they come pounding on my door - and I have to go pounding on their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

The other track I've uploaded is Analgesia. I think its soundeing pretty good but needs a fair bitof tweaking but it'd be great to get some feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/analgesia-first-mix

Cheers

Good job your production is getting better every time, although it sounds a bit cluttered in some parts, also a bit dull sounding over all, maybe try to brighten up the mix with an eq on the master.

Other than that, a repetitive theme that comes up in your tracks, is that there is moments when it sounds quite dissonant.

I dont mean to be offensive in any way, but do you know your way around a keyboard, i.e do you know about root notes, scales, etc?

Good job your production is getting better every time, although it sounds a bit cluttered in some parts, also a bit dull sounding over all, maybe try to brighten up the mix with an eq on the master.

Other than that, a repetitive theme that comes up in your tracks, is that there is moments when it sounds quite dissonant.

I dont mean to be offensive in any way, but do you know your way around a keyboard, i.e do you know about root notes, scales, etc?

I'd know my way around that but it would be rudimentary enough. With this tune I probably was a bit more jarring with the chords but the synth and melody lines would all be based around the chords. I was trying to work the pads off the stabs, having them come in at different times but they are both playing the same chords but maybe they are creating the dissonance. I don't know…

• Advertisement

New track ive been working on this week:

Few things annoying me about it

How does it sound to you?
    http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/stephen-donaldson-undercover

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

This white noise thing has to stop.

splitrmx wrote: »
    This white noise thing has to stop.

Your dead right actually, i way over use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Working on a new track, would really love some input.

http://soundcloud.com/frankie-grimes-drafts/gemini-draft

I'm trying to make it tech-housey, but just can't seem to get the groove right. It just doesn't seem to have the bounce that most tech-house tracks do...I'm not sure why. I'm really happy with the sample, so just want to make the best of it, because I know there's a decent track in there somewhere.

I'm trying to make it tech-housey, but just can't seem to get the groove right. It just doesn't seem to have the bounce that most tech-house tracks do...I'm not sure why. I'm really happy with the sample, so just want to make the best of it, because I know there's a decent track in there somewhere.

Left you a few comments there on the cloud, also consider using shuffle over your track to make it more "bouncy" i sometimes push the shuffle up to about 49%

Left you a few comments there on the cloud, also consider using shuffle over your track to make it more "bouncy" i sometimes push the shuffle up to about 49%

Cheers for the feedback.

Yeah it's quite rough at the moment, but I wanted to sort out the groove before adding in fills and builds etc.

I don't get what you mean by "put in the out 1/8triplet roll or 1/16 triplet roll". Do you mean put a little triplet on the second half of the 4th beat?

Will put a snare on the 2 & 4, and a shaker on every 16th (have a hat on, but it doesn't seem to lift it at all), and try some more swing and see if that bounce comes.

I just threw together a quick example for you, im not sure the terminology im using is right, but here you go anyway

http://www.sendspace.com/file/za6659

There is an 1/16t roll at the end of every fourth bar then a 1/8t roll at the end of every 8th bar

hope that helps

I just threw together a quick example for you, im not sure the terminology im using is right, but here you go anyway

http://www.sendspace.com/file/za6659

There is an 1/16t roll at the end of every fourth bar then a 1/8t roll at the end of every 8th bar

hope that helps

Ah now I get you.

Also just realised there's a triplet grid option on Ableton! Used to spend so long putting in triplets manually with the grid off...

To get the bounce in - add a few ghost notes to the bass - some slides - all at level you can't make out what's going on. (you can do this randomly - and when, or if, you hit on something good, you've got it.) Your kick might be too punchy for the groove - but I could be really wrong and it may sound great on a sound system.

A real bass player will play accent into the groove - they won't even think about it.

Lots of that track is really good. Pity you didn't have a sample of the African guy going Accceeeed!!

Though the break down with just the voice should have a dancing groove in the voice (and should be building or dropping from the word go - could start with dropping it, then building it back up) - otherwise people will stop what they're doing turn around to each other and wonder has Frankie lost his goddamn mind - has he lost his f'ing mind.

• Advertisement

To get the bounce in - add a few ghost notes to the bass - some slides - all at level you can't make out what's going on. (you can do this randomly - and when, or if, you hit on something good, you've got it.) Your kick might be too punchy for the groove - but I could be really wrong and it may sound great on a sound system.

A real bass player will play accent into the groove - they won't even think about it.

Lots of that track is really good. Pity you didn't have a sample of the African guy going Accceeeed!!

Though the break down with just the voice should have a dancing groove in the voice (and should be building or dropping from the word go - could start with dropping it, then building it back up) - otherwise people will stop what they're doing turn around to each other and wonder has Frankie lost his goddamn mind - has he lost his f'ing mind.

Cheers,

took on Steve's advice and did a good bit of work on it now, have a listen to the newer version now, that breakdown with the out of time voice is a little less bizarre, but there's no way of getting it in time so it's gonna go out of time anyway. I like it that way though.

Think the bass programming needs to be changed alright, it's a bit too techno for what I want, ghost notes are a good idea, only ever used them with drums.

Advertisement