Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

barry711 wrote: »
    Well seeing how this 14 year old was the only person to comment on the volumes of the kick and hi hats and no one else mentioned them being to loud I'd see it as a useless remark. This is something a lot of unexperienced producers ALWAYS mention when listening to a track.

I wouldn't say so. If he's heard something he's heard something. Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong. There isn't such a thing as a perfect kick or hi-hat. There can be an insight in anyone's opinion.

The track in question has been leveled fine in terms of its kick and hat sounds. Posting a comment like this will put doubt in the producers mind and may go onto to make further unnecessary level changes to an already perfect mix.

The perfect mix is really subjective. If someone is aiming for a muddy sound and they get it - they've got their mix. If someone's going for a crystal clear pin-drop quality sound and they're not getting it, it's another thing.

And... Opinions are like arseholes; everyone's got one. And everyone's entitled to one.

Even when the opinion is someone else's opinion is useless.

IRL303 wrote: »
    I wanted to make some hardcore. This is me just messing about. Piano is my own melody not a sample.

Your melodic elements are not in tune with each other. Sometimes it's not important, some times it is.

There's also a lot of muddiness and a lack of clarity in there. You need to clean that up. A harder kick would be good too - after all it is hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 IRL303

its a rough copy with no mastering done to it, recorded like this to get an idea of how I might arrange it when its completed.

its a rough copy with no mastering done to it, recorded like this to get an idea of how I might arrange it when its completed.

Yeah. I know. That's why I was saying what I was saying.

If you wanted advice on the arrangement - why didn't you ask for advice on the arrangement?

And "mastering" won't magic away the crap. It's muddy and you need to tighten it up.

What do you want to know about the arrangement?

You don't have a solid arrangement until you know what you're doing.

I don't want to know anything about the arrangement, or want any advice on how to arrange it, I'll manage just fine with it myself. If I need anymore advice from a pretentious, aggrogant user I'll be sure to ask for your help, Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I don't want to know anything about the arrangement, or want any advice on how to arrange it, I'll manage just fine with it myself. If I need anymore advice from a pretentious, aggrogant user I'll be sure to ask for your help, Thanks :)

Wow, you're sure to get lots of help that way. By the way your track makes me think like I'm back in 1992 (and not in a good way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

You should not get so deffensive when people are giving up their own time to listen and give you feedback on one of your tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Hey Guys
    New track i uploaded yesterday still needs a bit of work done to it but it's pretty much finished as well. I was thinking of chanceing around the synth a bit after the first drop but i'm not sure. Feedback would be cool :)
    http://soundcloud.com/scoob89/koffi-footsteps

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    New track i uploaded yesterday still needs a bit of work done to it but it's pretty much finished as well. I was thinking of chanceing around the synth a bit after the first drop but i'm not sure. Feedback would be cool :)
    http://soundcloud.com/scoob89/koffi-footsteps

Really like the percussion on this one. Personally I'd like a more pronounced kick coming after the first break. I also feel that there's room for a hook based on an aggressive lead synth in there, but that's just me. Nice work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

mordeith wrote: »
    Really like the percussion on this one. Personally I'd like a more pronounced kick coming after the first break. I also feel that there's room for a hook based on an aggressive lead synth in there, but that's just me. Nice work :)

Thanks for the feedback man, I see what your saying about the kick. Could you explain a bit more about "there's room for a hooked based on an aggressive synth" ?

• Advertisement

I just reckon the whole track feels like its missing a main synth line. Wouldn't have to be anything complicated, just something with a bit of presence to round of the track.

mordeith wrote: »
    Wow, you're sure to get lots of help that way. By the way your track makes me think like I'm back in 1992 (and not in a good way).

Thats not bad then, as I was trying to capture a sound from around the '92/93 era of hardcore.

Listen, you're not here to ask advice from anyone. You're here to spam yourself. You're looking for attention.

Why don't you take your hardcore track to one of the several active hardcore production forums. See what kind response you get.

The world just doesn't understand you, does it?

Oh you have seen right through me, I'm here to get noticed and and hopefully get discovered and land a record deal..this explains the spamming of my tracks:rolleyes: Anyone is free to comment and offer advice on any of my tracks, If I wanted specific advice on the arrangement on that hardcore track I'd of asked for it when I posted it. I posted it to get opinions of how it sounds and what it might benefit from or what I could add to it.

Being such a short clip I wouldn't even bother taking into account or addressing any issues to do with mixing/mastering at this early stage until I have a final mix done with an arrangement I'm happy with, only then will I looked at cleaning up the sound. I don't know where your getting the idea about "the world doesn't understand me" from??. There is nothing special about me or my music at all.

There is nothing special about me or my music at all.

Quote of the day ;)

Anyone is free to comment and offer advice on any of my tracks, If I wanted specific advice on the arrangement on that hardcore track I'd of asked for it when I posted it. I posted it to get opinions of how it sounds and what it might benefit from or what I could add to it.

I offer an opinion, you don't like it, and you turn around an abuse me.

You're back tracking. Everyone posts here soliciting opinions on any aspect of a track anyone wants to comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Synthey 80's madness with a chunkadelicious beat.

Before any of you go "BLAH BLAH YOUTUBE:mad:" , please watch the vid. I think it's amusing.

Anyway i value the opinions of anyone who wants to give me one or three.

I like this style of music and basically I want to see if I can pull it off.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

I may be off my mallet but i think this is pretty good

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/love-story-mp3

enjoy!

Synthey 80's madness with a chunkadelicious beat.

Before any of you go "BLAH BLAH YOUTUBE:mad:" , please watch the vid. I think it's amusing.

Anyway i value the opinions of anyone who wants to give me one or three.

I like this style of music and basically I want to see if I can pull it off.

Cheers

How much of that is yours?

Is that drum programming all yours?

What did you use to make it?

I really like the track. it's nicely made. I want to copy it.

• Advertisement

SteveDon wrote: »
    I may be off my mallet but i think this is pretty good

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/love-story-mp3

enjoy!

My speakers aren't coping well with the bass on it - of I think there's a little bit too much distorting on the bass.

You could put some variations on the snare - just slight variations in the sound. And maybe add some cow bell. Actually I think you have one in there.

Thanks for you comments on my track. I'm trying to get back into the habit of finishing tracks (or doing a finished version) - I did the whole thing in a few hours. I even made huge mistake somewhere in the mastering - there's high pitched ringing noise through out the mix that came out of nowhere - and I didn't even notice it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

krd wrote: »
    How much of that is yours?

Is that drum programming all yours?

What did you use to make it?

I really like the track. it's nicely made. I want to copy it.

a big +1 on top of that

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback guys, you have no idea how much better I feel today having read it..

I put so much time and effort into that tune and was on a total downer by the 'meh' attitude I'd been getting off people over the last few days....

The drums are individual samples and I programmed them myself (I am a drummer anyway so i find that part easy). All the synths and all that are original, played by me, basically the vocals are the only full samples in the track - the rest is mine.

Anyone any idea of a label or DJ or a music blog or anywhere I should send it to get it heard? I really havent a clue about that sort of thing and would love more people to hear it!

*Edit Ableton Live to answer your question KRD

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback guys, you have no idea how much better I feel today having read it..

Yeah, I liked it. I listened to it a good few times. I even posted it to my face book, and it got a like.
    I put so much time and effort into that tune and was on a total downer by the 'meh' attitude I'd been getting off people over the last few days....

There's so many reasons you can get the 'meh'. Often it's nothing to do with the quality of the track. Like, you forgot to use the meme of the two flesbian's kissing. You weren't wearing the right tracksuit. And a hundred other reasons. Never expect anything more than a 'Meh' - if you did something in a genre that someone is really into and played it you might get a different response.

Really important point: If someone says it's ****, don't get wounded and defensive. There maybe something in it, there may not. 99 out of hundred people you take it to, could turn their noses up at it - and just 1 likes it. And things go from there.
    The drums are individual samples and I programmed them myself (I am a drummer anyway so i find that part easy).

Yeah, I really liked the drums. I see you give lessons (pity I'm in Dublin - but I'm broke anyway) - They're simple drums but they're done very well. I've never played drums - my drum programming is brutal - and I think it's one of the biggest draw backs for people who can't play drums, Even doing simple drums won't come out right. If you do us a big favour - I was trying to sample the drum sounds from your track to learn how to build that pattern - I couldn't get clean hits - could you post the kick, and those snares, so I could give it a go?
    All the synths and all that are original, played by me,

There's some nice touches in the synths.
    basically the vocals are the only full samples in the track - the rest is mine.

Using someone else vocal samples will always be a problem. Ideally, you have someone come in a re-sing the thing with slightly different vocals, but sounding exactly the same. If they're available samples - people you send the track to will have heard them before. You should also have a vocal free dub.
    Anyone any idea of a label or DJ or a music blog or anywhere I should send it to get it heard? I really havent a clue about that sort of thing and would love more people to hear it!

Buy Mixmag - you should buy Mixmag. It is a really crap magazine and it encourages all kinds of dickheadism. But they have a singles review section, broken down by genre - all these record companies are active commercial companies. Your track is in the Electro spectrum. You basically listen to the tracks being reviewed and then you contact the company if they're doing something like you're doing. There was a cover mount CD a few months back - I've temporarily lost it - but they had stuff close to that style. Where that style seems to have gone is the beats are a little more crazier - maybe a bit over done. If you had that cover mount CD, you'd have a whole list of companies to get in touch with. They may be 'Meh' about the track, but they may like your productions skills and you may get an in. There's nothing "wrong" with your track - it might just need a little bit more for the companies to want to release it.

You could also email Spin - the radio station - if you can't get it in Kilkenny then get it on the internet. I'm sure they do shows with that kind of music - you just have to find who does it. A radical idea - use a telephone and call up station.

I don't really know about blogs.

Thanks for the detailed info.

Intersting thoughts on mixmag too - I had always assumed it was one of those tossy publications as you suggested but I'll deffo give it a look

I'll PM you a d/l link to a clean loop of those drums now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is my latest one, Dark. I wasn't sure what genre to categorise it as once it was finished, but I "think" its Progressive Trance. Any feedback or opinions are much appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/dark

DarkJager wrote: »
    This is my latest one, Dark. I wasn't sure what genre to categorise it as once it was finished, but I "think" its Progressive Trance. Any feedback or opinions are much appreciated.

It could probably do with more cymbals - like at 1.20 and 1.50.

It don't know it's up to yourself. Some percussion runs at around the ends of the 16 bar segments.

It reminds me a bit of Hale Bop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

krd wrote: »

It could probably do with more cymbals - like at 1.20 and 1.50.

It don't know it's up to yourself. Some percussion runs at around the ends of the 16 bar segments.

It reminds me a bit of Hale Bop.

Thanks for the listen and feedback man, I'll take that on board for when I get back to it. Not sure what you mean by hale bop though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Plumpynutt

I normally hate trance, but I actually really like this, good work:D

My 1st effort, myself and a mate made this. tis but our 1st track, so go easy:p

http://soundcloud.com/dagda_dub/aurora

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 aaronlippy

hey guys new track i done, its not entirely finished yet but said id stick it up and see if anyone has any feedback, it may be a tad cheesey to some but sure wat about, as i said any comments welcome

stats.png

Advertisement