Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Loobz wrote: »
    Its far too long and needs mastering. I couldnt make my mind up on which breakdowns and build ups to keep, so I kept them all.

It sounds fine. Mastering it might not be such a great improvement. You've got it pretty clean as it is.

What you have there is like three or four tracks mixed into one. But there's no law says you can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

I've started this track last night and I was woundering if i should try take it to a style more like techno or breakbeat house. What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

barry711 wrote: »
    I've started this track last night and I was woundering if i should try take it to a style more like techno or breakbeat house. What do you guys think?

Pretty cool man, I would have happily listened to more of it. If you can keep that sexy vibe going then do. Really, I'd say go for a euphoric deep house track. Already has that deepness to it so I think it would work out nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

barry711 wrote: »

I'd go the opposite of WasterEx in this one. I was anticipating the break beat coming in at the end of that. You would need some very well prgorammed percussion but that could be a belter of a breaks tune if done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

My shot in the direction of Drum and Bass played on live instruments!

Interested in all your opinions please!. I got a couple of opinions off mates who liked it generally but there's nothing more sobering than the cold hard reality of anonymous internet critics who don't care about my feelings... :pac:

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »

Interested in all your opinions please!. I got a couple of opinions off mates who liked it generally but there's nothing more sobering than the cold hard reality of anonymous internet critics who don't care about my feelings... :pac:

Let me first express my jealousy at both your multi-instrument talent and your equipment (musical that is).

I like the concepts behind the track but I think it all sounds too clean for D n B. The drum sounds are just a bit weak and the bass doesn't have enough grit in it for my taste. I think if it did, the piano would be a real stand-put sound in the track and give a nice juxtaposition to the harder edge of the bass and dums (or drum and bass ;))

Hi mordeith, thanks a lot for the feedback. And that equipment took the best part of 15 years of wheeling and dealing to amass!

I was working to a competition deadline (with chaos in my day job as well) so i didn't have the couple of weeks i usually like to take to mull over the different layers and get the mix sounding right. It was a bit of a rush job. Pity though.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about the sound, but you're never going to get really chunky drum sounds taking a single feed out of an electronic kit, which is what I did, unless you are a savage producer, which i am not!

I agree with a lot of what you're saying about the sound, but you're never going to get really chunky drum sounds taking a single feed out of an electronic kit, which is what I did, unless you are a savage producer, which i am not!

Yeah I see what you mean. Is there any kit on the system that sounds beefier that you could load up or do you reckon it'd all sound the same? Maybe if you ran the output from the drums through a distortion pedal it might add something it's want to be applied fairly lightly I'd imagine. Of course if you had the time you could add compression and stuff in post production but as you pointed out you were working to a specific timeframe.

+1 for the equipment and melody, loved it. :D

All in all, it's a really good production but it's a slight bit to dry in my opinion, could do with some beefcake like mordeith said.

Thanks a lot, yeah I am beginning to regret not spending more time on it now!

Ah well :)

• Advertisement

Regarding your point mordeith - the ideal situation would be to have each individual drum on its own track, so i could EQ and apply effects accordingly, but I am not set up for that, so I just had to use the kit and take an output from that

alternatively i could have used my MIDI software and taken a MIDI feed out of the drums, but my lappie doesnt handle that too well due to there not being enough RAM to run it in realtime like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Regarding your point mordeith - the ideal situation would be to have each individual drum on its own track, so i could EQ and apply effects accordingly, but I am not set up for that, so I just had to use the kit and take an output from that

alternatively i could have used my MIDI software and taken a MIDI feed out of the drums, but my lappie doesnt handle that too well due to there not being enough RAM to run it in realtime like that

A lot of drum and bass is sampled breaks so in that regard it's all or most of the beat on one track. I'm not an expert on Drum and Bass at all but I reckon you need to be getting jiggy with compression and a limiter on your drum track. If you had Reason you could use the Scream 4 which is a distortion unit but it's good for EQ, compressing and bit crushing. You need to think about it more as a dance arrangement more than a band arrangement. So really bring the beat to the fore, it is a tiny bit polite at the moment.

Also for the bass line you need to get a bit of body into it and sub it a bit more. Look into tutorials on how to make a Reese (named after Alex Reese) bassline and that should give you a bit more inspiration on what to do. Nice work so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭barry711

mordeith wrote: »
    I'd go the opposite of WasterEx in this one. I was anticipating the break beat coming in at the end of that. You would need some very well prgorammed percussion but that could be a belter of a breaks tune if done properly.

Cheers for the input lads. I was actually thinking more of a breakbeat styled track myself...I think I'll do one like this and one like WasterEx mentioned. I've since added this breakbeat sample of percussions and a small sample from a prodigy track. I'll work on a bass for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

First draft of a track I've been working on for the last couple weeks. Feedack as always is appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/lovers-lies

First draft of a track I've been working on for the last couple weeks. Feedack as always is appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/four-bear/lovers-lies

That's a nice kick.

You could put a little groove in the keys - some interesting spacey sounds in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Popmart97

Hi All :)

Another track here http://soundcloud/sine_cera/wade

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

krd wrote: »
    That's a nice kick.

You could put a little groove in the keys - some interesting spacey sounds in there.

I agree with the suggestion that you could play on the keys a bit more. It's a good listen, although I wasn't mad about the claps, the flanger/phaser? makes them sound a bit watery. A drier clap/snare would work better IMO.

Popmart97 wrote: »
    Hi All :)

Another track here http://soundcloud/sine_cera/wade

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Nice progression at the start of the track and the bass is cool. I think you could bring the kick in earlier, although having said that, when it does come in it sounds very 'big' for the overall atmoshere of the track. Good original work though.

Nice progression at the start of the track and the bass is cool. I think you could bring the kick in earlier, although having said that, when it does come in it sounds very 'big' for the overall atmoshere of the track. Good original work though.

Thanks for that, think you may be right about the kick! First bit of feedback :)

Well, after a long enough time I've finally got another track finished :D Such a relief tbh.

Anyway here it is

I really tried hard to make this sound as clean as I could even in the mix. I've only got a pair of **** PC speakers and a sub woofer though so if you lads notice anything, feel free to post it down.

As always, I appreciate any feedback! :)

Cheers

• Advertisement

Evening :)

Another track almost ready;

http://soundcloud.com/sine_cera/young

All feedback welcome

Cheers

WasterEx wrote: »
    Well, after a long enough time I've finally got another track finished :D Such a relief tbh.

Anyway here it is

I really tried hard to make this sound as clean as I could even in the mix. I've only got a pair of **** PC speakers and a sub woofer though so if you lads notice anything, feel free to post it down.

Cheers

Your production is very tight

In all honesty its probably not my kinda thing but as Im someone who is learning the basics of production I'd say what you've got there is very well put together, levels seemed perfect. Maybe a little more variation on the lead synth? :)

Cheers

Monitors are overrated, but a sub woofer will give you a really false idea of how much bass you have there.

If you want it cleaner, strip out bits you don't need. Like after the break a 45 sec, where the main synth line come in, you have a pluck arpeggio running - it sounds great in the build up, but you should drop it just after the break and have it come back in later. To make stuff cleaner remove anything that does not absolutely have to be there.

Monitors are overrated, but a sub woofer will give you a really false idea of how much bass you have there.

Maybe, but monitors offer an un-eq'd neutral sound rather than regular speakers which are eq'd. Or so I've been told... :pac:
    If you want it cleaner, strip out bits you don't need. Like after the break a 45 sec, where the main synth line come in, you have a pluck arpeggio running - it sounds great in the build up, but you should drop it just after the break and have it come back in later.

Yeah it sounds better like that actually, just tried it. It's always the small things! :eek: :D

Thank you for your feedback!

Popmart97 wrote: »
    Evening :)

Another track almost ready;

http://soundcloud.com/sine_cera/young

All feedback welcome

Cheers

I much prefer the second half of this track. The string/organ sound seems a little bit too thick, don't know if you have any reverb/chorus on it. I think the single piano hits are better than the chords in the first half. A little bit of variety in the percussion would add a bit of interest as well. I like the little arpeggiated sequence going on the background though. Kind reminiscent of Moby / Dj Shadow

Anyway here it is

Cheers

Production sounds good on this. If you strip out the main synth it reminds me of Lifelike and Kris Menace - Discopolis. However I'm just not feeling the synth line. For me the arrangement isn't evocative enough and the sound itself is a bit, I hate to say cheesey, but just not polished enough. Having said that I'd love to get my kicks and bass sounding as full as yours.

Production sounds good on this. If you strip out the main synth it reminds me of Lifelike and Kris Menace - Discopolis. However I'm just not feeling the synth line. For me the arrangement isn't evocative enough and the sound itself is a bit, I hate to say cheesey, but just not polished enough. Having said that I'd love to get my kicks and bass sounding as full as yours.

Thanks man. Just had a listen to that song for the first time, that sounds very similar...it's crazy...:eek:
    I think I understand what you mean about the arrangement not being evocative enough, and I actually was going for an "in your face" kind of tune so I guess it would come off as sounding cheesy haha. Appreciate your feedback mate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

CHON Dublin (Synth/Electronic)

Here's a debut track that's ready to see the light of day...

http://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1/chaser-by-chon

Made on a Yamaha DJX1 and mixed in Acid.

Feedback welcome of course!

Tomohawk wrote: »
    CHON Dublin (Synth/Electronic)

Here's a debut track that's ready to see the light of day...

http://soundcloud.com/tom-mcfadden-1/chaser-by-chon

Made on a Yamaha DJX1 and mixed in Acid.

Feedback welcome of course!

Not really my kind of thing but its always nice to see a track made with a single piece of hardware and some samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bill_McCai

http://soundcloud.com/microkorganism/the-bx

My first upload: a Lo-Fi track I recorded using a microkorg xl, kaossilator K01 and a loop sampler. I added vocal samples with audacity. If anyone has a chance please let me know what you think.

Advertisement