Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

I dare not post anything in here for fear of being eaten alive by shed head. I know my stuff dreadful. I dont pretend to be a professional.

I'd say I'm not the only person that he has scared away.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

DarkJager wrote: »
    https://soundcloud.com/cloud-10/u4ea-ft-stratos-azul-marino

This is my latest track, has a kind of chilled out/cinematic vibe to it. I'm not sure what it is but I'm finding a lot more of the tracks i start work on these days are just veering toward this chilled out style, probably old age setting in :D Any feedback is much appreciated.

Hey dude Really good track, percussion is excellent, perfectly arranged!
    I guess the only thing I'd have to say is if that 'arp' (starts at 4:30) stood out more it would bring more focus to the 'moment' in the track, if that makes any sense to you; It's right where I started thinking haha. Kick could do with a super slight bit of fattening up too! :pac:

Keep it up man :D

Gillyjpb wrote: »
    Check out my track https://soundcloud.com/gillyjpb-1/gilly-thunder-original-mix

I just got signed to German Label MyCore Records and my first release comes out on Beatport on 21st Feb

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Gillyofficialmusic

Ignore the previous ignorant comment on this, it's not bad. The kick is way to far down in the mix though. The melody is very good, it's catchy ;)
    The most important thing for you would be to focus on your mix downs. A bad mix will make everything mushy and scatter your synths everywhere.

Congrats on the sign, just remember to focus on the quality of your music before anything else! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

column wrote: »
    I dare not post anything in here for fear of being eaten alive by shed head. I know my stuff dreadful. I dont pretend to be a professional.

You should probably have a bit of thicker skin if you're going to post stuff online for feedback. I have posted a fair bit of stuff over the years and most has been justifiably criticised because it was muck. But the suggestions giving by people have helped me to try and push myself a bit more. It's still muck but of a slightly less pongy variety.

If someone's being completely OTT, dust yourself down a bit and not take it personally but try and see if any of what the say has any validity. If they are just being vindictive, just ignore them - it's not that hard.

You should probably have a bit of thicker skin if you're going to post stuff online for feedback. I have posted a fair bit of stuff over the years and most has been justifiably criticised because it was muck. But the suggestions giving by people have helped me to try and push myself a bit more. It's still muck but of a slightly less pongy variety.

If someone's being completely OTT, dust yourself down a bit and not take it personally but try and see if any of what the say has any validity. If they are just being vindictive, just ignore them - it's not that hard.

It's easier to just not put myself in the position of having to ignore someone who just posts the word "dreadful".

• Advertisement

It's easier to just not put myself in the position of having to ignore someone who just posts the word "dreadful".

But if you can't accept the potential that someone trolling might call something you do dreadful, which can be easily dismissed as needless, then how can you accept constructive criticism? I know someone calling something you do dreadful can be slightly bruising to the ego but I think you'd need to try to not be too precious about your work if you're putting something up for the purposes of feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Gotta agree - don't want to turn this into another circle jerk club like soundcloud. Id rather hear peoples honest opinions, it's the only way I know I'm going to learn.

What's constructive about posting the word "dreadful"? I am a long way off being good enough to post anything else on here anyway, so it's an academic argument.

What's constructive about posting the word "dreadful"? I am a long way off being good enough to post anything else on here anyway, so it's an academic argument.

I never said it was constructive. I said it should be easy to dismiss it for what it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭shed head

listen, apologies, to all i supposedly insulted, in my opinion but its apparent that people are spending a couple of hours and throwing a track together then posting them here for "feedback", i apologise again for my comments but please think what you are producing and put some serious effort into it, but do whatever you want, all i meant to get across is practice practice practice then upload!! - i will no longer comment in here.

However, i still stand by mordeiths comment as just lazy and farcical, he will get nowhere!!
    apologies, and goodbye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

shed head wrote: »

However, i still stand by mordeiths comment as just lazy and farcical, he will get nowhere!!
    apologies, and goodbye

What comment? That I don't use hardware? How is that lazy? I don't use any loops in my productions and I increasingly spend more time on the mastering and mixing of my tracks (but it's still nowhere near professional quality). As for getting anywhere, where exactly do you think I want to go? I have a full time job (thankfully) and two young kids. Producing tracks is something I do as an interest as I love dance music (many different genres). I have no expectations to be the next international superstar producer.
    Like a lot of people here, I just want to upload my work that I have completed to the best of my ability and receive feedback from other boards members. By feedback I mean actual comments on the tracks, not 'wow, dreadful' or 'dreadful again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

https://soundcloud.com/shanemoloneys/sunshine

my track...follow me and give me feedback, just started getting into this stuff

mordeith wrote: »
    What comment? That I don't use hardware? How is that lazy? I don't use any loops in my productions and I increasingly spend more time on the mastering and mixing of my tracks (but it's still nowhere near professional quality). As for getting anywhere, where exactly do you think I want to go? I have a full time job (thankfully) and two young kids. Producing tracks is something I do as an interest as I love dance music (many different genres). I have no expectations to be the next international superstar producer.
    Like a lot of people here, I just want to upload my work that I have completed to the best of my ability and receive feedback from other boards members. By feedback I mean actual comments on the tracks, not 'wow, dreadful' or 'dreadful again'.

This pretty much sums up my position (apart from the kids).

listen, apologies, to all i supposedly insulted, in my opinion but its apparent that people are spending a couple of hours and throwing a track together then posting them here for "feedback", i apologise again for my comments but please think what you are producing and put some serious effort into it, but do whatever you want, all i meant to get across is practice practice practice then upload!! - i will no longer comment in here.

apologies, and goodbye

How is it apparent? How do you know someone isn't struggling for days to get to grips with new software and producing something that, admittedly, isn't great?

Get nowhere? Jesus Christ...it's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

shane9689 wrote: »
    https://soundcloud.com/shanemoloneys/sunshine

my track...follow me and give me feedback, just started getting into this stuff

Some nice ideas here but I'm not mad about the overall execution. The bassline level is a bit high and overpowers the drums a bit.
    It's a really nice vocal but it doesn't seem to sync properly.
    I also think you have some nice lush sounds contrasting with the harsher bassline and other grainer elements, which don't necessarily form a cohesive sound. Maybe ditch the pads or rough them up a little.

Well I finally got round to finishing my latest track.
    https://soundcloud.com/subbed/echo

(shed head is going to have a field day :D)

you specifically said, A)don't bother going to the trouble of syncing an analogue synth up to a daw B)software is so much easier to use!! = A) farcical B) lazy

I have actually listened to this specific track in my studio, first ever from this thread, after all you are special

Intro is weak, sound is nice but to low in the mix

the beat is out of sync (at least on 3 occasions)

putting an LPF on the kick? - doesn't really work/needs improvement

don't like the bass coming in - deeper sound would be better

lead is somewhat cheesy, not a bad idea though

weak sounding in general

not a bad attempt though, keep it up, i would practice more on time signatures and arrangement for this particular tune!! stinks of softsynths! THIN

last post ever - coUldn't resist

you specifically said, A)don't bother going to the trouble of syncing an analogue synth up to a daw B)software is so much easier to use!! = A) farcical B) lazy

Actually what I said was most people wouldn't have the time or indeed an analogue synth to hook up to in the first place.

Software is easier to use. Hence why most people use it. You don't still use a mangle to dry your clothers do you?

I have actually listened to this specific track in my studio, first ever from this thread, after all you are special

Aww, I feel all warm and cuddly inside
    the beat is out of sync (at least on 3 occasions)
    If it is I'd genuinely like you to point out the exact time stamp that this happens on seeing as the entire track is locked to my DAWs tempo.
    putting an LPF on the kick? - doesn't really work/needs improvement

Just some EQing but I tend to agree with you on this point
    last post ever - coUldn't resist
    I think that's the third time you've said that.

I think we'd all like to hear the professional, analogue sounds you're creating in your 'studio'. Let us plebs know what a real producer sounds like.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed this man, nice progressive vibes.
    I like the use of the EQ on the kick in some parts but the kick is lacking punch in general; I find if you put a compressor on the kick channel before anything else it really fattens it up and brings it out of the mix if you use the right configuration.
    Right at 1:40 has a nice overall full sound. I think the breakdown at 2:40 is a bit sudden then the build up lacks energy, I like the drums that kick in before it though, that was a nice touch. Love the delay on the lead.

Keep it up man :D

I got a tip from a friend a while back and he told me to put a compressor on my kick channel, ever since I've been doing it and my kicks have been really nice.

I uploaded a short example on Soundcloud if anyone is interested in hearing the differences........

http://snd.sc/XlX5Rv

That's a percussion loop I've been working on for an intro for a new tune I'm making.

Hope that helps some of you out. :D

WasterEx wrote: »
    I like the use of the EQ on the kick in some parts but the kick is lacking punch in general; I find if you put a compressor on the kick channel before anything else it really fattens it up and brings it out of the mix if you use the right configuration.

Cheers for the feedback.
    I actually have a compressor on the kick channel but I'm always wary of overdoing it. Of course it could be that the kick was a bit sh*t to begin with anyway. I may look at replacing it alogether.

Some nice ideas here but I'm not mad about the overall execution. The bassline level is a bit high and overpowers the drums a bit.
    It's a really nice vocal but it doesn't seem to sync properly.
    I also think you have some nice lush sounds contrasting with the harsher bassline and other grainer elements, which don't necessarily form a cohesive sound. Maybe ditch the pads or rough them up a little.

thanks mordeith...good to see someone actually giving feedback rather than spouting **** all over the forum

youre right, and i realise these mistakes already, i kind of rushed the production because i was getting frustrated spendin days on it. and the vocals were sampled and just flaked in. bit of a mistake.
    youre probably right about the bass, i had tried doing alot of eq'ing with it to make sure it didnt interrupt. anyways, next track will be more congruent XD

awsome stuff. the cymbals/hi-hats seem abit to high and over power a little bit though with not enough bass coming through. otherwise the rest is awesome, reminds me of the song "insomnia"

i kind of rushed the production because i was getting frustrated spendin days on it.

Yeah, I was the same when I first started. Lashing out tracks in a couple of hours. What's good though is as you get more involved you'll actually begin to enjoy spending time tweaking little bits here and there and taking more time to finish a track. Of course there's always more to learn which is the great thing about producing.
    the cymbals/hi-hats seem abit to high and over power a little bit though with not enough bass coming through.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It doesn't sound exactly like that when I export it from my DAW. I'm sure Soundcloud puts it through some kind of processing which alters the overall sound of tracks slightly (maybe that's just my imagination though).

Yeah, I was the same when I first started. Lashing out tracks in a couple of hours. What's good though is as you get more involved you'll actually begin to enjoy spending time tweaking little bits here and there and taking more time to finish a track. Of course there's always more to learn which is the great thing about producing.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It doesn't sound exactly like that when I export it from my DAW. I'm sure Soundcloud puts it through some kind of processing which alters the overall sound of tracks slightly (maybe that's just my imagination though).

hmm, i doubt its soundcloud, i mean thats soundclouds only job, to process tracks properly.
    it wouldnt be very difficult to tweak anyways, just a tiny bit of eq.

hmm, i doubt its soundcloud, i mean thats soundclouds only job, to process tracks properly.
    it wouldnt be very difficult to tweak anyways, just a tiny bit of eq.

Soundcloud actually does some weird processing to the audio you upload so usually the high frequencies are effected because of it, it sucks. I think the only way you can really hear a track 'properly' is if you have the .wav file.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Its been a while....

http://soundcloud.com/steve-donaldson/diffraction-isle-of-dogs-sc

Bit of a live set im working on. TBH this is the first track i have made since i left ireland. I didnt bring my monitors with me which is really annoying me, so this is mixed on a ****ty pair of headphones, and i mean a really ****ty pair.

Let me know what you think, especially with reference to the mix.

I am keeping it quite basic and minimal so that it is easy to play live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Been working on this the last few days would love some feedback
    https://soundcloud.com/seanc/mehring-2/s-jSoaW

Advertisement