Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

mordeith wrote: »
    I like the start a lot. From 1.11 - 1.30 reminded me of Fatboy Slim. That's a serious bassline there. I'm not convinced by the kick though. Just seems a bit soft. The layered hi-hat takes away from it I think. Nice vocal sample though.
    I presume Soundcloud is reponsible for the volume jump when the bass plays on its own e.g. 2.59 - 3.07

yeah youre probably right about the kick, when i first started mixing it came through really strong, but i guess it got lost in my mix somwhere despite my massive use of side chain haha.
    partly, partly my fault too, i should probably master the track abit more
    I liked it, and the bass sound, but perhaps a bit more variation? With an 8 minute track you kind of have to do some more with it, and while the whole thing is good, either a 4 - 5 minute edit or some kind of change would be cool to hear.

i suppose i could cut it back by a minute or 2, but personally thats what i was going for, i composed most of the layout of this after listening to a lie set by modeselektor, and as with alot of live sets it dragged on a bit as they threw things into the mix, i wanted to copy that idea, but i could do a "radio" edit too haha

Something a bit more ambient today:

http://soundcloud.com/geisha-1/according-to-the-map-were

This was "part two" of the previous track (Outbound Travel Sequence) but I thought it had enough of its own charm to just drift away as a new separate track. It doesn't do much other than the four chords, piano lines and the few swells, but I really like the sounds (which I created by feeding my keyboard through a few guitar effects pedals and then messing around with them a little).

awesome ideas used! but seems a little bit muddled, some mastering would help make this track reach its potential. and as mordeith said, feels like an interlude alright....but its something i could definitely imagine as part of a soundtrack for a film

• Registered Users Posts: 12 simonc92

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

shane9689 wrote: »
    awesome work...a better mic and vocal mixing, theres a little bit of muddyness in the vocals. would go a long way with ha good track like this.

Any tips with regard to the vocal mixing? It was my first time having a proper go at mixing vocals in a track and was kind of winging it.

Standman wrote: »
    Any tips with regard to the vocal mixing? It was my first time having a proper go at mixing vocals in a track and was kind of winging it.

go through all the frequencies and find which ones sound nasty when boosted then cut them back abit...i cant realyl explain but look up youtube for how to vocal mix, there's piles on it

also use a small room with proper acoustics setup (you can google this too)
    itll help remove unwanted echos and noise etc on the unedited vocal recording

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

awesome work...a better mic and vocal mixing, theres a little bit of muddyness in the vocals. would go a long way with ha good track like this.

Very nice indeed. I'd probably lower the volume of single half-open hat a tad in the first section.
    As Shane said the vocal could do with some EQing. You could do with cutting some of the lower freqencies and boosting the high end a bit.
    The snare as well could benefit from a little added punch as it's a nice groove but is a little lost in the mix. Again just some EQing to remove conflicting frequencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lb1997

lb1997 wrote: »

very Kraftwerk. I like the eerie synth and droning bassline. The industrial hits are cool as well. I prefer meatier percussion myself, not a fan of the old skool snare. The little arp sequence is not pleasant at all and really takes from the track imo. Pretty leftfield overall so kudos on that. Lots of potential in it.

very Kraftwerk. I like the eerie synth and droning bassline. The industrial hits are cool as well. I prefer meatier percussion myself, not a fan of the old skool snare. The little arp sequence is not pleasant at all and really takes from the track imo. Pretty leftfield overall so kudos on that. Lots of potential in it.

yeah i think if i master the track a little better i could get rid of the unpleasantness of the arp sequence... I was actually trying to make it sound more pronounced but i guess hearing it over and over made it seem more suttle than it was :)

• Advertisement

intro is like promethius or something, that changed when the beat hits though, not sure im mad about the beat tbh, the sounds of the different toms just dont go together well for me, its just a little bit messy or something....maybe have something to back up the triangle playing that melody, more synths or pads or soemthing, not sure what tbh, but something.....good ideas in the track overall, i can see what you were trying to achieve with it

New Track From Myself
    a Mile stone in my progression i think... i haven't had a track like this before

https://soundcloud.com/shanemoloneys/closed-eyes-open-mind

intro is like promethius or something, that changed when the beat hits though, not sure im mad about the beat tbh, the sounds of the different toms just dont go together well for me, its just a little bit messy or something....maybe have something to back up the triangle playing that melody, more synths or pads or soemthing, not sure what tbh, but something.....good ideas in the track overall, i can see what you were trying to achieve with it

yeah that beat was really tricky to introduce into the track and i obviously didnt do a good job of it. i was also struggling to find what else i could add , it was quite a weird track to make overall.

New Track From Myself
    a Mile stone in my progression i think... i haven't had a track like this before

yeah i really like that, reminds me of Aphex Twin. drums are nice except they sound a little glitchy ,like you left excess waveform in when you were sampling it, or maybe you were aiming for that. really nice track overall so good job (y)

Nice deep pads in the intro and the 'pipe band' snare roll is cool. The sort of 'klangy' hit is very harsh and takes away from the atmosphere a bit. I like the triangle but the attack seems very short on it and it seems to be popping a bit at the beginning of each note. Maybe if you softened the attack it might help.

New Track From Myself

Nice groove here. Kind of a DJ Shadow vibe. I'm not sure if the piano sits well with it though. It's almost too clean compared to the gritty beats. It's crying out some kind of brass sample I think. Nothing major, just some nice stabs or something to give another bit of an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Housebound

little remix we done to Ellie Goulding's Burn

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

New Track From Myself

That sounds deadly. I wasn't too sure about it at the start, I thought the opening drum beat sounded a little clunky but then it makes a lot of sense when all the elements combine. I really like that subtle delayed guitar that comes in through out

Hey folks,

Here's a new one I'm working on at the moment. Any feedback's appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/robthetrustysteed/falls-down-to-nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I really like this one. The only problem is I think the drums might be over compressed because they seem to be having a sucking effect on the music.

• Advertisement

Latest one finished:

https://soundcloud.com/rocky-robledo/ghost-estates

Feedback as always appreciated.

Hey folks,

I like the middle section. The keyboard kinda sounds out of tune or something, or rather the pitch is a bit off for me. I agree with Kunst that the kick sounds overcomressed and is definitley causing some ducking. I had that issue myself when I'd upload the track to soundcoud. If I exported the track from my DAW at a lower overall volume it sorted it.

Latest one finished:

Nice pads at the start although I think they'd sound a bit better with less of a filter cutoff, just to brighten em up a bit. Good strong kick and the piano is a nice touch. The clap is a perhaps a bit too loud in the mix. Not by much but it does dominate the percussion. Good use of vocal samples as well. Adds to the track's kind of eerie feel. Which I guess you were going for judging by the title of the track :)

Nice pads at the start although I think they'd sound a bit better with less of a filter cutoff, just to brighten em up a bit. Good strong kick and the piano is a nice touch. The clap is a perhaps a bit too loud in the mix. Not by much but it does dominate the percussion. Good use of vocal samples as well. Adds to the track's kind of eerie feel. Which I guess you were going for judging by the title of the track :)

Cheers, moredith. I've always wanted a good strong clap in a track but I'm probably overegging it (more than likely from most of the track being mixed through headphones). Thanks for the positive comments and I'll have a listen to those pads with fresh ears.

Latest one finished:

That sounds deadly. Really like the delayed piano going through it. It kind of reminds me of some Jamie xx's stuff. I like the drum sound you're getting.
    The only issue for me is that the hi hat sounds a little distorted but I don't know if that's down to the crappy headphones that I'm listening to this on.

I really like this one. The only problem is I think the drums might be over compressed because they seem to be having a sucking effect on the music.

As in, the drums are making my music suck! Sound, I'll have a look at that, I do have a lot of stuff on this side chained to the kick so I might have over done it.

I like the middle section. The keyboard kinda sounds out of tune or something, or rather the pitch is a bit off for me. I agree with Kunst that the kick sounds overcomressed and is definitley causing some ducking. I had that issue myself when I'd upload the track to soundcoud. If I exported the track from my DAW at a lower overall volume it sorted it.

Thanks for the feedback. Which keyboard? The piano or the bell that comes in halfway through?

That's really nice stuff. Would work great on a soundtrack. I'd probably take out that dialogue sample in the middle. It kind of sounds like it was left in there by accident

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback. Which keyboard? The piano or the bell that comes in halfway through?

The piano sound. Just doesn't seem to fit quite right. That's just my take on it though

Advertisement