Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

It was a Motown acapella, and I choped some bits from it. I did the chord sequence and then went looking for some vocals to help give it a bit of mood. I kept the bass back a bit as I just wanted it to underpin the track. I must give it a listen on some other systems and headphones to check if it's want I wanted or not. I had reached the old 'feck messing with this thing anymore' stage.

btw, after listening to your track, ive begun listening to other stuff of the same style...i never usually listen to this kind of stuff, cheers for opening me to something i usually rejected haha, its awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

shane9689 wrote: »
    very nice mixing, kick fits in really well, bass sounds lovely, synths sound good...one problem i have, is its all abit empty and in a weird key/tonality? also the synth at about 1:40 is good, but just at the end of its riff its abit dodge, could end the riff abit smoother, but i like the track, just needs to fill some space out or something maybe, more synth lines going on to accompany the bass or something....also, you could probably end it at about 4 mins....past that and it gets abit dragged out i think, youve already said what you needed to say with the track, after that it seems like an extended outro which is good for djing but not for a "radio" edit

Yeah, def should have reduced the time. I think it's a sure sigh when you end up skipping through your own track! As you said is a bit like a radio edit at frist as I just start it with the vocal and a 'sensible' intro, then I forgot about that and gave it a long outro.
    Not sure about the key either as you say. It was semi intentional to have the minor-y sadness meloncholy vibe and I did want the cheer up baby contrast like a call and response thing and just stayed with it. I have an issue with building up layers as I'm not sure what I want to achieve really. I usually think that I need more stuff going on and I come up with some sort of lead and I don't know if I really want a lead or just to keep it as more bassy groovy track.
    Cheers

btw, after listening to your track, ive begun listening to other stuff of the same style...i never usually listen to this kind of stuff, cheers for opening me to something i usually rejected haha, its awesome

Ha, great! For many people, house music starts at 125 or more BPM, there's a whole world of slower and deeper stuff. Hope you stumble across some nice tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just finished track number two today.

https://soundcloud.com/kcee-deep/baby-dont-cry

All feedback welcome.

Cheers

Disclaimer: A lot of production and mixing is done to personal taste and my own opinions are below - you may or may not agree with them. This goes for all feedback you get from everyone.

Anyway, Nice vibe overall.. I would pull back the kick in the mix and I would put it though a low pass filter as I feel that a duller, less punchy kick would compliment the mellow vibe of the track a little better.

I would make the bass line a little more defined and attackey. I think it would sound better Again - that's just me.

Chords are nice - you could do a Part B to the track just to mix it up maybe Cmaj / Dmin could work - There's a key / freq issue around the 2 minute mark which sounds a bit gnarly to my ears.

Happy xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Finally had a chance to listen to this (with my new headphones :D). I like it, it grooves along nicely, with some nice drum work in there. I can't admit to having listened to a lot of deep house but it definitely wouldn't sound out of place in any mixes I've heard. I agree to a point with what the lads have said about little variety but I think that's common enough in some deep house anyway.

Production-wise it sounds nice and clean too.

Just finished track number two today.

https://soundcloud.com/kcee-deep/baby-dont-cry

All feedback welcome.

Cheers

Really great sample use and I love the intro, though I think you've overdone the claps after 30 seconds, and maybe a little throughout as the tune is nice and smooth but the claps are maybe a tiny bit out of place.

I like the bass line though agree with Sky King in that it could sound punchier. Not so keen on the chord lead though. But really like the vocal sampling, it's as if you had someone record it specifically for the tune. Great work on that.

Sky King wrote: »
    Disclaimer: A lot of production and mixing is done to personal taste and my own opinions are below - you may or may not agree with them. This goes for all feedback you get from everyone.

Anyway, Nice vibe overall.. I would pull back the kick in the mix and I would put it though a low pass filter as I feel that a duller, less punchy kick would compliment the mellow vibe of the track a little better.

I would make the bass line a little more defined and attackey. I think it would sound better Again - that's just me.

Chords are nice - you could do a Part B to the track just to mix it up maybe Cmaj / Dmin could work - There's a key / freq issue around the 2 minute mark which sounds a bit gnarly to my ears.

Happy xmas

Thanks for that. Just back in internet world now after Xmas with folks. Gonna take that all on board and learn a few more chords! New Years resolution is to get up more on music theory and chord progressions.

anyone any advice for making hip hop beats?
    find it tricky to get both the right rhythm along with good sounding snares and kicks, any good samples out there or ideas for rhythms?

this track is just abit of a joke lol, it was more of a learning curve project than a proper track
    https://soundcloud.com/shanemoloneys/big-ass-diamonds

Thanks for that. Just back in internet world now after Xmas with folks. Gonna take that all on board and learn a few more chords! New Years resolution is to get up more on music theory and chord progressions.

Youtube is your friend. Look for a guy called Bill Hilton. His vids are for pianists but the theory is the same and he is an excellent teacher - he goes through all the basics of chords and scales - as well as assembling basic chord progressions which are the key to making music.

You're at nothing trying to make music (other than minimal or tribal techno etc) without understanding basic melody theory imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Alright lads, new track I did recently that I need some feedback on.
    I'm not sure about the vocals, I'm 50/50 with them at the minute. Half
    of me thinks they work the other thinks they don't. Any feedback welcome lads.
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/scoob-ft-doenja-when-you-look

find it tricky to get both the right rhythm along with good sounding snares and kicks, any good samples out there or ideas for rhythms?

this track is just abit of a joke lol, it was more of a learning curve project than a proper track

I'm too old for hip hop (:D) but I really like the beats in the linked snippet - really big and go really well with the bass. I'd be interested in hearing the full thing if that's what you're aiming for?

keithkk16 wrote: »

The vocals work - they're excellent actually. I think the track needs some extra thump in the bass and some more variety overall as it gets a little samey. If I'm honest it sounds like the middle of another tune, like the start and end should be different.

Still, I like it and the intro is excellent.

SuprSi wrote: »
    The vocals work - they're excellent actually. I think the track needs some extra thump in the bass and some more variety overall as it gets a little samey. If I'm honest it sounds like the middle of another tune, like the start and end should be different.

Still, I like it and the intro is excellent.

When you say 'it sounds like the middle of another tune, like the start and end should be different' are you talking about the vocals or the music?

The music. The vocals are perfect - the tune itself feels like the middle of another tune. To be honest this is probably more down to the type of music I listen to more than anything, and maybe it's the way it starts, it's almost as if it's in a mix rather than an individual tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Hey folks, been a while. :)
    Been working on this track for a bit over a month. I've uploaded a snippet to soundcloud. I'm really looking for mixdown feedback, other feedback is still appreciated though!
    How's it sounding?

https://soundcloud.com/cremerz/extract/s-OToHt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Nice potential here. I'd nearly classify it more sa breaks than staright-up hih-hop though. I think the vocal has way too much low end on it though, sounds very muddy, although I like the way it's chopped and arranged. Also, the kick could do with a bit of punch as well. I like the synth lines though. All good here.
    I think the trick with hip-hop beats is that if you stick to quantized timings then it can sound a but too rigid. You might want to turn off the snap settings in the piano roll and adjust some of the kicks ever so slightly to give a bit of a looser feel to the rhythm.

Yeah, I'm not sure about the vocal. It's got quite an odd lfow to it, so I reckon it's tricky to try and write something that goes along well with it.
    In terms of the mix, the vocal itself seems a bit too detached from the track. Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say here :rolleyes:

WasterEx wrote: »
    Been working on this track for a bit over a month. I've uploaded a snippet to soundcloud. I'm really looking for mixdown feedback, other feedback is still appreciated though!
    How's it sounding?

The main high-pitched synth is a teensy bit to loud in the mix for me. I really like that rolling bassline that fades in half-way through. The kick is nice and strong at the beginning but loses a little bit of presence when the rest of the elements are going. Personally I'd bring up the level of the main hh a bit as well.

SuprSi wrote: »
    The music. The vocals are perfect - the tune itself feels like the middle of another tune. To be honest this is probably more down to the type of music I listen to more than anything, and maybe it's the way it starts, it's almost as if it's in a mix rather than an individual tune.
    mordeith wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the vocal. It's got quite an odd lfow to it, so I reckon it's tricky to try and write something that goes along well with it.
    In terms of the mix, the vocal itself seems a bit too detached from the track. Not sure exactly what I'm trying to say here :rolleyes:

Cheers for the feedback lads, gonna go back and spend more time an try and make everything flow/fit better.

Ps here's a preview of a new housey track I'm working on atm. Feedback welcome https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/cruthanna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Ps here's a preview of a new housey track I'm working on atm. Feedback welcome https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/cruthanna

Sounds good man. The percussion sticks out to much, I'm not sure about the bongos tbh but that's just me. The keys/ rhodes/ pad, need to be more present in the mix imo. I like the vocal a lot, suits the vibe. I'm a big fan of lounge stuff so good work! :)

Cheers for the feedback lads, gonna go back and spend more time an try and make everything flow/fit better.

As you can see from the feedback, opinions differ. None of us are professional critics, we're just electronic musicians with individual tastes and as such our feedback will most likely be coloured by what we like to hear. Whilst I like the vocals mordeith doesn't, so if you were to listen to both of us you'd be totally confused!! Sky King put it perfectly on the last page;

At the end of the day it's how happy you are with the material that matters the most. It's highly probable that you'll like your music more than anyone else, so be careful making changes based on the feedback as you can't please everyone!

How's it sounding?

This is really good. Sounds great on my headphones, though it could maybe do with some more low end. Really crisp and clear sounds - very keen to hear the rest of it.

Sounds like the bassline is clipping everyg now and then. Love that vocal sample, real soulful. The last note in the tom loop is a bit loud. Great groove overall :)

Fkin awesome, that's how. Well done.

I really like that style anyway so I am a bit biased but I personally couldn't fault that at all. Looking forward to the finished piece.

mordeith wrote: »
    Sounds like the bassline is clipping everyg now and then. Love that vocal sample, real soulful. The last note in the tom loop is a bit loud. Great groove overall :)

I was going for a gritty feel for the bassline, that's probably why ya think it's clipping. Toms? Bongos I think ya mean? Cheers man

I was going for a gritty feel for the bassline, that's probably why ya think it's clipping. Toms? Bongos I think ya mean? Cheers man

Doh! Bongos of course :)
    Regarding the bassline, the very end of every couple of notes has a noise artefact. Could be the headphones I was using. I'll listen again tomorrow on something else to see if it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 captivated

I think its got potential although i think you probably have some sort of mastering chain on the stereo bus with a limiter. The first thing id do is remove that so you are not mixing into the sound of that. The bassline needs some more low mid range sub frequencies id reckon but you could easily add that maybe by stacking a triangle wave off a synth underneath your pattern and maybe a slight bit of distortion or parrallel distortion to bring out those low mid harmonics. It sounds like you have an almost inaudible sine wave sub underneath that just replace that with something like a triangle wave that has a bit more harmonics than that deep sine sub. It has good potential tough CREMERZ just keep at it. I like the atmospheres and the top bassline sound you have.

Another one from myself for ya to check out lads
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/ionanalu-preview

• Advertisement

Another one from myself for ya to check out lads
    https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/ionanalu-preview

has alot of mid space that i think could be filled out abit, the build up could be more intense i think, even for the style you're going for

Advertisement