Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Tracks - Give Feedback here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Any opinions on my new uplifting trance tune welcome (unmastered!)

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/paulconnollymusic/august-short

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

magi1988 wrote: »
    No i'm not signed to a label. I don't think that i'm already on that kind of level.

I dunno dude, I'm listening to those tunes again on my decent headphones and that's some really well produced music you've got there. It's not even the type of music I'd normally listen to but I really like them, especially the first one.

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting signed to a label but I can't imagine you'd have any problems with material like that.

altus__ wrote: »
    Hey guys, just finished this track. Need feedback! Thanks in advance. :)https://soundcloud.com/altus_toronto/bounce-original-mix

Still quality! The bass is heavy but not out of place. Great job!

paulo6891 wrote: »

Thanks

Not really what I like to listen to, but compared to other trance I've heard it sounds good, and the break/build in the middle is good. It could do with a bit more mastering as I don't think the bass is low enough or the treble high enough - it needs to sound more vibrant really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

magi1988 wrote: »
    No i'm not signed to a label. I don't think that i'm already on that kind of level.

you are on that level dude! thats why i wasnt sure if you were genuine haha, its really well produced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

captivated wrote: »
    I think its got potential although i think you probably have some sort of mastering chain on the stereo bus with a limiter. The first thing id do is remove that so you are not mixing into the sound of that.

I do, I threw izotope ozone on the master for the upload.
    The bassline needs some more low mid range sub frequencies id reckon but you could easily add that maybe by stacking a triangle wave off a synth underneath your pattern and maybe a slight bit of distortion or parrallel distortion to bring out those low mid harmonics.

I tested the triangle wave and wasn't feeling it, I just don't think it belongs in there. I've edited the sine since and it's sounding much cleaner. I added some parallel compression to the bassline and it's thickened it up a lot. That was a really nice tip too, love the difference it made!
    It sounds like you have an almost inaudible sine wave sub underneath that just replace that with something like a triangle wave that has a bit more harmonics than that deep sine sub.

On the sine, I eq'd it to have more room on the higher-low frequencies and it sounds much more audible in the mix. It's hard for me to be sure because I don't have monitors anymore but cheers for that :)
    It has good potential tough CREMERZ just keep at it. I like the atmospheres and the top bassline sound you have.

Thanks a lot my friend. All this has helped!

Cheers for the feedback folks. The smallest bit of detail helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SuprSi wrote: »
    Ok, my turn - more 'old skool' progressive house with some breaks thrown as well ;)

https://soundcloud.com/suprsi/vespertine

Love those pads in the intro. The kick sould maybe do with a small bit of eq to remove a bit of the low end as it gets quite full with the breaks. Having said that it sounds much cleaner when the 4/4 comes in.
    The bassline is a tad too loud in the mix for me, but not by much.
    The growling pad at 3.53 is great. Adds a lot of depth to the track.
    Groove is really going after the second drop. Solid :)

Thanks

You've got the trance sound down there man. Good rolling bassline and strong kick. I know it's unmastered so it's hard to make proper comment on the mix itself, but very good in terms of arrangement with the filtered lead to the breakdown and the arpeggiation building to the drop.
    Nice balance between the keys and almost vocal like strings. After the main drop the kick needs a bit of punch but this is likely to be addressed in the mastering.

mordeith wrote: »
    You've got the trance sound down there man. Good rolling bassline and strong kick. I know it's unmastered so it's hard to make proper comment on the mix itself, but very good in terms of arrangement with the filtered lead to the breakdown and the arpeggiation building to the drop.
    Nice balance between the keys and almost vocal like strings. After the main drop the kick needs a bit of punch but this is likely to be addressed in the mastering.

Cheers. I'm no expert at mixing/mastering, so hopefully I'll be able to do it justice! Haven't done too much ABing yet with similar songs (focused my efforts on making sure it sounded decent in mono and stereo - first time doing that so learnt something new).

Cheers. I'm no expert at mixing/mastering, so hopefully I'll be able to do it justice! Haven't done too much ABing yet with similar songs (focused my efforts on making sure it sounded decent in mono and stereo - first time doing that so learnt something new).

I reckon it's a long road to be an expert at the mixing/mastering game!
    Every time I do a track I feel I'm learning just a bit more, yet I'm still way off getting the professional full sound. Still, the learning process is all part of the fun for me.

Regarding mono/stereo I must admit that I don't really consider mono when to comes to my productions. Basically I tend to just not have too much stereo width or extreme panning in the hope that this will mean any mono playback won't suffer too much. How lazy is that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 magi1988

I reckon it's a long road to be an expert at the mixing/mastering game!
    Every time I do a track I feel I'm learning just a bit more, yet I'm still way off getting the professional full sound. Still, the learning process is all part of the fun for me.

Regarding mono/stereo I must admit that I don't really consider mono when to comes to my productions. Basically I tend to just not have too much stereo width or extreme panning in the hope that this will mean any mono playback won't suffer too much. How lazy is that :P

Same here. I never studied mixing and mastering. I just do what i think sounds good in my ear. Studio monitors help alot. I used to produce on normal monitors and often overdo the bass, or sometimes to little bass.

I've got some good focal studio monitors but I don;t have room treatment so possibly am not getting the most out of them. Apparently mixing at low levels can help, I also have some decent studio headphones for ABing on

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Happy new year all. Just after throwing a new dubby dnb track up on soundcloud. Give it a listen and let me know what ye think. All feedback's appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/robthetrustysteed/sonic-yurt

Thanks

Really liking that. It's really well arranged and mixed. I know you're saying it's unmastered but the whole thing sounds really solid.

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Really liking that. It's really well arranged and mixed. I know you're saying it's unmastered but the whole thing sounds really solid.

Cheers man. I'm after 'mastering' it and have sent it off to one of the labels that gave me a good response after my last track, so fingers crossed. Think I messed up the bass a bit in the final version though, but hopefully it won't be a deal breaker! :(

Cheers man. I'm after 'mastering' it and have sent it off to one of the labels that gave me a good response after my last track, so fingers crossed. Think I messed up the bass a bit in the final version though, but hopefully it won't be a deal breaker! :(

This might sound like faint praise but this wouldn't be out of place on a decent Euphoria compilation

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Happy new year all. Just after throwing a new dubby dnb track up on soundcloud. Give it a listen and let me know what ye think. All feedback's appreciated.

http://soundcloud.com/robthetrustysteed/sonic-yurt

Pretty trippy :)
    Funky bassline but I think it's a bit too heavy on the lower frequencies. Sounds a bit distorted between 0.35 and 0.56.
    The clap sounds like it's a very low bitrate sample. I presume you were going for that feel though.
    Good dub vibe overall though.

Thanks :) my aim as a trance producer is solely to get a song played on ASOT! I have no aspirations of making money, getting big gigs etc, I'd just like to get a song on this show!

Pretty trippy :)
    Funky bassline but I think it's a bit too heavy on the lower frequencies. Sounds a bit distorted between 0.35 and 0.56.
    The clap sounds like it's a very low bitrate sample. I presume you were going for that feel though.
    Good dub vibe overall though.

Thanks Mordeith, aye the bass does distort a little bit. Might need to look at the sub I have going through it. I'll need to fix up the ending. It's just kind of trailing off at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Alright lads another new track from myself to check out https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/micrimhilseogra-preview

• Advertisement

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Alright lads another new track from myself to check out https://soundcloud.com/scoob89/micrimhilseogra-preview

I literally know nothing about this type of music or what it's even meant to sound like, but after listening through my macbook speakers, there doesn't seem to be any bass (or anything below 200ish Hz)

I literally know nothing about this type of music or what it's even meant to sound like, but after listening through my macbook speakers, there doesn't seem to be any bass (or anything below 200ish Hz)

Listening through laptop speakers? There's your problem right there.

Do you think there's enough bass there?

Do you think there's enough bass there?

Well you're not gonna hear bass when you listen to it through laptop speakers, but when I played it through hi fi speakers or my headphones it's grand.

Hi-fi speakers? And your criticising laptop speakers? Do you even have proper producing headphones or are you using DJ headphones? Look, I was initially trying to put it gently that the kick in your track is not very good. There is very little low end in there and it lacks a decent transient imo but maybe others will give a different opinion. The kick also sounds out of tune. I also think that it would be interesting if you would put a 200Hz low pass filter on the master channel and post it so that we can hear what's going on down there. Again, I'll state that I'm not familiar with this music and don't know how low the kick is meant to go (my background is trance).

Hi-fi speakers? And your criticising laptop speakers? Do you even have proper producing headphones or are you using DJ headphones? Look, I was initially trying to put it gently that the kick in your track is not very good. There is very little low end in there and it lacks a decent transient imo but maybe others will give a different opinion. The kick also sounds out of tune. I also think that it would be interesting if you would put a 200Hz low pass filter on the master channel and post it so that we can hear what's going on down there. Again, I'll state that I'm not familiar with this music and don't know how low the kick is meant to go (my background is trance).

Well you can hear the low end through hifi speakers not so much through a laptop like? Yeah man I'm using Krks. Should of said that first man I was thinking there was something wrong with the bass line not the kick.

Grand, those KRK monitors are fine - Hifi speakers are designed to make tracks sound good.

I'm after listening through my producing headphones now and I still think it lacks low end (too late to plug into studio monitors). What volume do you have the kick at in the mixer? It doesn't sound too clean to me, could be clipping? What samples are you using?

Also, if you solo just the bass and the kick, you'll probably hear that they're playing different notes, it's vital to tune that kick so that they are in tune with each other, will sound better.

In terms of bass, you don't really have much sub bass there, that is why I suggest a longer transient for the kick.

If you like that kick sound, I would recommend layering it with another subby kick. High pass the kick that you have, and cut off anything over maybe 150Hz in the subby kick and see how it sounds.

I also think that the percussion is a little harsh on the ears. Either lower the volume or else add a bit of reverb in my opinion.

That drop at 1:11, you need a bigger kick there - barely audible.

Finally, when it kicks back in at this stage, you seem to be going clap, clap, clap, reverse clap?! That 4th one needs to be the most prominent of them all, but it can't be heard. I also think it's out of time (too early).

Just some (hopefully) constructive criticisms anyway.

keithkk16 wrote: »

Nice work. I wasn't sure about the bassline at the start, it seemed a bit heavy on the lower frequencies but it's less noticeable as the track fills out oddly.
    Good use of vocals and I like the various stabs and hits throughout.
    Only thing I don't like is the lo-fi hi-hats.

In terms of bass, you don't really have much sub bass there, that is why I suggest a longer transient for the kick.

If you like that kick sound, I would recommend layering it with another subby kick. High pass the kick that you have, and cut off anything over maybe 150Hz in the subby kick and see how it sounds.

Would that not interfere with the bassline though I wonder? I suppose some good eq'ing might seperate them but at the moment I think the kick cuts through prety well, although I see what you mean about lacking a bit of punch.
    That drop at 1:11, you need a bigger kick there - barely audible.

That 4th one needs to be the most prominent of them all, but it can't be heard.
    I'd agree with that as well. The fourth reverse has no snap to it at the end.

• Advertisement

Would that not interfere with the bassline though I wonder? I suppose some good eq'ing might seperate them but at the moment I think the kick cuts through prety well, although I see what you mean about lacking a bit of punch.

It would yeah, but the sub bass is not very prominent to me so I think that a kick with a long transient could fill out those low frequencies a bit better, and just high-pass the bass a bit. Just a thought anyway.

The main reason the kick is cutting through well in my opinion is because there are no other sounds for it to contend with. For the 1st minute or so, there is very little going on in the mid/low frequencies so it's always going to stand out. It may be me, but when more elements are introduced after 1:11, the kick gets lost completely.

Advertisement