Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmentally and socially progressive candidates: where are they?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Right, I suppose I better go down and vote for somebody. But who?

I've given the Greens my 1st preference for the past 10 years. They seemed environmentally radical, and having lived in Sweden myself I was conscious about how backward we Irish have been on things like recycling, litter, cycle use, and general respect for the world around us.

I've had great respect for Trevor Sargent because he has been very culturally open and pro things like the Irish language. That's deeply refreshing and a break from the main parties. I still prefer him over Gormley for that cultural independence alone. Yet, he did mess up in the leaders' debate with his comment about 'our country' to Gerry Adams. Not impressed. Anyway, I could overlook that. But definitely not impressed with Ciarán Cuffe who came out and said we should follow Britain and allow Sikhs to opt out of the Garda uniform on religious grounds and wear their turban. What, pray tell, is the purpose of the Green Party if the best they can do is copy policies in Britain? (policies which the British police representatives told the Irish government they deeply regret ever introducing) The entire purpose of the Greens was to break the mould, to bring Scandinavian post-industrialist cultural mores on the environment into Irish society. I can't overlook it when they just offer more of the same old myopic unhealthy policies from mother England.

I couldn't vote for Sinn Féin solely because of their eurosceptic position. I find it deeply insulting and political opportunism at its worst. I used to give them my 2nd preference, with my 3rd preference (and effective vote) going to the marginal Fianna Fáil TD in my constituency (otherwise a Blueshirt would have taken the last seat, and I'd rather vote for the Tories than for that benighted anglocentric rabble). My guilding political principle has been to break the connection with England and assert the independence of my country, as a man once said.

So, who is out there in the local and European elections (Leinster constituency) that is pro a strong socially and environmentally progressive European Union? I can't think of a single representative who is nailing their colours to the pro-EU mast. Are there any politicians who look to continental Europe for political inspiration rather than slavishly copying policies and legislation in Mother England? This country is going nowhere if it continues to ignore the world beyond the cliffs of Dover.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

I hope that this recession may cause a mini revolution in politics and inspire people into politics who may otherwise not have bothered.

I find it hard to align myself to any particular party on the basis that they all have policies that I may not agree with. There are some parties that I simply will not vote for on an idealogical level.

My main problem with politicians in Ireland today is the real lack of any sense of a broad idealogical philospohy of what kind of ireland they want to see. Do they want a health care system where patients are treated quickly and with dignity - how much will that cause, and what do we need to do to raise those funds. Do we really want to tackle the drugs crisis, provide real rehabilitation and improve these peoples lives. If so, we need to pay for it. What kind of education system do we want, what kind of access and opportunities should people have. What kind of public service do we want, what do we want to achieve by it. These kind of principles and aspirations shouldn't change regularly and policies should reflect a real desire to achieve them. I suppose what I'm saying is there is no leadership out there that inspire's me and gives me hope that the country is going to change for the better, or that anyone out there is serious about tackling anything in any real way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

No offense but what the hell are you guys on about?

Advertisement