Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband upgrade question

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Hello guys, Im currently on a 1mb package from eircom for about a year nowand I was thinking of upgrading to the 3mb package. I have a couple of questions though

1. How will I know if my line is fast enough to support a 3mb connection
    2. If it is how do about upgrading the package

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Line Stats please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Call eircom. If your line is not capable, they shouldn't do the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

here are the dsl stats
    Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1024 128
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 21.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.50 31.00
    CRC Errors 3450 28

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Your line stats are pretty dire at the moment. On no account upgrade as you will actually worsen the performance of your bb.

Are you far from the exchange?

Have a read of these and you will see why your line is bad at the moment.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

I live in the country side in cork about 10 minutes outside Mallow , which I would assume is the nearest exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    I live in the country side in cork about 10 minutes outside Mallow , which I would assume is the nearest exchange.

You are not too far from the exchange but your line is not in very good shape. Could be the line itself or something internal. My advise is to connect to the main socket, remove any extensions you might have as well as phones/fax/sky box and post here the line stats again. Your CRCs are too high.

Hopefully it will improve, otherwise there could be an issue with your copper.

oh I forgot to mention Im connecting wirelessly at the moment would that effect the stats,

no, the stats refer to the line quality outside which is not enough for 3mbits , especially with that crap margin of 6db

disconnect ABSOLUTELY everything , even the filters .

plug DSL modem into main socket without filter , power off and on to clear crc count .

bang some traffic through for 10 mins and post the stats up again with only the modem attached to the line

If the margin goes to 8 or 10db the crcs should disappear and the line should appear noticeably faster .

Then plug stuff in one by one to see what causes the problem , especially sky boxes , you must get that margin up a bit :(

here are the new stats with the router plugged directly into the socket

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

seems the sky boxes cause the problem when connected, but is the 12.50db any better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    here are the new stats with the router plugged directly into the socket

Downstream Upstream
    SN Margin (dB) 12.50 20.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 47.00 31.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

seems the sky boxes cause the problem when connected, but is the 12.50db any better

Do you normally have a filter on the sky box? The 12.5 is still a bit iffy for a major upgrade. Read the snr article I linked to above.

• Advertisement

Do you normally have a filter on the sky box? The 12.5 is still a bit iffy for a major upgrade.

yeah their are filters on the sky boxes. If it makes the internet faster I think I could leave them unplugged though.

Since yesterday its has stuck between 12 and 13 db all day, should I consider upgrading to the 3mb package or just stick with the 1mb package?

you will only get about 2mbit at best and does it seem faster already ??

It does actually, its up to 15db at the mo, seems it hasnt gone below 12 since plugging it directly into the socket, Even 2mb speed would be great . Im thinking about upgrading as its only €5 extra a month.

could be a faulty filter you know !!

Advertisement