Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council candidate lost my vote this morning

Options
  • 05-06-2009 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

I got a text on my mobile at 7am this morning from a neighbour, who is a candidate for the county council, asking me to vote for him today. I had intended to vote for him as he has in the past done some good work for the community but I have now changed my mind. The only place he could have got my number from would be either the local childcare or the GAA club as he is on the committee of both. If he is up to using confidential information for his own purposes in breach of the Data Protection Act I do not want him representing me on the council.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Why dont you report him,I would and also ask him where he got my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Very ott i would say! If he was as good as you say he deserves your vote and a protest text to stop annoying you.

Give your vote to a no hoper who has not bothered to make any attemp to contact you. He will appreciate it more!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Yeah, do ask him where he got your number. It would be nice to hear what he has to say.
    Also, there s also a chance he MIGHT have got it legally. If not, you can watch him squirm.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Slightly OTT, If has worked hard in the past then surely he deserves you number one!
    He has shown a way of thinking outside the box for asking for your vote.(I know it has been done before But for a local election its good),
    Our phone numbers are everywhere and can be easily obtained if so desired..

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Report him - unsolicited text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I would be very annoyed about that. Try and get to the bottom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

I have no tolerance for a politician who shows a willingness to bend the rules for personal gain. I feel that it is a symptom of a lot of what is wrong with politics in this country. If he is happy to do this, what other rules might he ignore to achieve his objectives ?

There are other candidates who might not have been my first choice but have been active in the community and will now get a higher preference. There are also some wasters that have never made any contribution in the last five years that I have seen so I will not be voting for them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I would try to phone the number back and let him know that his electioneering has disgusted me and that I may reconsider my vote because of the breach of privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

I wouldn't be happy about that.

I would be very unhappy to receive any non-urgent text at 7am as it would disturb my sleep. Also, isn't canvassing forbidden on the day of election? Not to mention the question of where he got your number from. The candidate might have a valid reason for sending the text but I'd be concerned he is showing signs of putting his own interests ahead of yours. And there's enough of that in politics already!

Maybe you could see what he has to say about it before you cast your vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Just text STOP :D

I'd say ask him how he got your number before judging him. Politicians, business people etc. tend to hold onto phone numbers for life once they get them so it's possible he got it innocently years ago and has just retained it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just got one off a guy, he's never run before but my guess is someone form a club i'm involved with, he wasn't going to get my vote anyway (closet FF running as independant - lot of em around at the moment), tempted to scare him with data protection but really can't be bothered

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Similar thing happened me yesterday.
    Got a text from a local candidate looking for my No1.
    The person running used to be an estate agent in the area that I bought our last house from so I know that thats how she got my number.

Was quite annoyed to be honest that she used my number from her previous employment to try and get a vote.

She was getting my number 1 anyway but after this she didnt even get a number 10 from me.
    What annoyed me as much was that she never even called at the door for the whole campaign and yet sent a text looking for the vote on the day before the election.

Just seems cheeky IMO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

just got one off a guy, he's never run before but my guess is someone form a club i'm involved with, he wasn't going to get my vote anyway (closet FF running as independant - lot of em around at the moment), tempted to scare him with data protection but really can't be bothered

I think we are in the same club!! But I never got a text from him...I had heard from others that he was sending them out! I was'nt gonna vote for him either but to be asked would have been nice!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

i have it on good authority that teacher used the parents contact list from school to target voters.
    Again I believe in contravention of Data protection.
    Until one of them is given a nice hefty fine they will continue to do it.

And sure we will have the usual apologists stating sure it is only a small thing :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement