Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax on a newly purchased 2nd hand car

• 05-06-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    As some of you will know, I bought a mini mayfair around 3 weeks ago. The certificate of ownership arrived today (as far as I know) so I will now be able to tax it. How do I go about taxing it? Do I need to go into the tax office or can I do it online/over the phone?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

You'll need to go into the tax office.
    Bring your lazer/credit card with you or cash.
    You'll need proof of insurance too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You'll need to go into the tax office.
    Bring your lazer/credit card with you or cash.
    You'll need proof of insurance too.

Argh, Im still trying to sort out the insurance on it. 3 weeks and still no forms from them. Contacted them today and they said they sent it out the other day. If not arrivied by Monday Im going elsewhere. I havent been able to drive my car for the past 3 weeks because they cant send me out my forms :mad:

/end rant

Thanks by the way :D

well, the other day I went in to tax a car that been of the road for a good while and I had no insurance details with me (just fill in the co and policy no on the form) - and they taxed the car no probs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

well, the other day I went in to tax a car that been of the road for a good while and I had no insurance details with me (just fill in the co and policy no on the form) - and they taxed the car no probs.

Yeah same with me. I just went into the Nutgrove office with my logbook and got it taxed in 5 minutes. I had my policy number and insurance company and that was fine. No official documentation required.

Remember to fill in the form before you go to the hatch. They get narky otherwise. And bring your laser card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The girl I got had a good look through all my documents, including the insurance cert. It might be a luck of the draw thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I didnt have an insurance cert, was waiting on it in the post. I called the Insurance company and got the usual, 'we posted that last week' stuff. They were able to give me my policy number over the phone though, which was enough to tax it. Worth a shot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anan1 wrote: »
    The girl I got had a good look through all my documents, including the insurance cert. It might be a luck of the draw thing.
    She took down your details? :D

re; Lazer cards - I noted that signs everywhere in the tax office that they will not accept American Express.........so, insist on paying by American Express just to piss them off! lol

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I might see if they accept western union :D

My car's not insured, so I will have to wait till end of next week Id say (although I might chance my arm if I can get the policy number and write it down).

Advertisement