Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Loss Of Quality

Options
  • 05-06-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Can anyone explain to me why quality is lost from recorded video when you edit it using editing software?
    For example, I have a JVC D340 camcorder, few years old but great little camera. When i hook it up directly to the tv and play the recorded video, the quality is really good, and I can record a direct dvd from the telly of just the original unedited footage.
    However, when I import the video onto my computer, to edit the video, add transitions, music, photos, titles etc, and then burn a dvd from the computer, there is a substantal loss in quality.
    I currently use Showbiz DVD software, but have used Pinnacle in the past and had the same result. Is there any way to stop the reduction in quality.

Appreciate any replys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

most likely down to the compression of the codec you are using to take it into the editing software... do you know off hand what codec the software is taking in the footage as..?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

decob wrote: »
    most likely down to the compression of the codec you are using to take it into the editing software... do you know off hand what codec the software is taking in the footage as..?

Not sure what codec im using. How would i find that out do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Also check what format you are recording into the software from the camera.
    There should be a project settings or preferences option somewhere that will tell you the formats and codecs used. It could be that you are loosing quality at the digitising stage. Sh1t in, sh1t out as they say.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

When you're capturing footage to your pc, see that you're capturing as uncompressed dv, I remember having similar problems when I used Pinnacle Studio.

It also might be that the software you're using is letting you preview your movie at only half/third quality, some software have that but it doesnt affect the final exported movie quality.

If all fails just try a different software for capturing/editing

Advertisement