Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is correct method of stopping at red light

• 05-06-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am due to appear for a driving test next week, I am bit confused about how to come to full stop and wait at the red light. Whether we should put clutch down and keep car in gear while waiting to go, or after stopping put it in neutral, the apply brake or handbrake or both. I am getting conflicting advices on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Depends on the lights I'd say. If they're only pedestrian lights, stay in gear while keeping the clutch and brake pressed. Major junction lights where there is an order to the lights, then brake, clutch in, handbrake on then change into neutral.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

From the point of view of the driving test it doesn't matter, you won't be marked either way. The safest thing to do would be to stop and put it into neutral, however if you're first in line and the lights go green you may get a bit flustered and stall if you're nervous and you try to move off quickly.

If you're familiar with the area, and know the sequence of the lights, you could stay in neutral until just before they change to green. However if you stop and keep the car in 1st, either with the handbrake on or holding it on the footbrake you will not be marked, once the car is under control and it doesn't roll foeward or back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

HI aqua2027
    Try to apply this to the situation "Assess and React"
    Now start thinking of how the situation would be different and what you would do to deal with it.
    Then make the statements here and we will correct you where you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

[HTML]Try to apply this to the situation "Assess and React"
    Now start thinking of how the situation would be different and what you would do to deal with it.
    Then make the statements here and we will correct you where you are wrong.[/HTML]
    1. If I am approaching a traffic intersection, and I know from a distance that it has just gone red. back home I used to put it in neutral and come to a stop gradually and brake at light and wait for green light. But I was told by my instructor not to put car in neutral otherwise it will be marked as coasting. I think by putting into neutral means less fuel consumed by car and less emission. I dont know how far is this correct.
    2. I am approaching a junction and lights have gone amber;; to be on safer, I look in rear view mirror and apply brake and push clutch and bring car it to stop.
    3. if I am in back of traffic holding at red light::: should I apply foot brake or hand brake?
    4. If I am first to go;; I know it makes sense to keep car in gear. ( wont that be considered to costing and damaging clutch plate.
    5 If you are approaching a stop sign/ yield sign::: is is correct method to come down to fourth gear at 50kmph, and third at 40, then stop or proceed as it may be.
    Thanks for all the replies

I was taught to have the handbrake on. If you are at pedestrian lights for example, and you do not have your handbrake on, if someone runs into the back of you your car could be pushed forward and "could" hit a pedestrian. I know this is unlikely to happen but it falls under the heading "expect the unexpected".

What do you normally do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

I was taught to have the handbrake on. If you are at pedestrian lights for example, and you do not have your handbrake on, if someone runs into the back of you your car could be pushed forward and "could" hit a pedestrian. I know this is unlikely to happen but it falls under the heading "expect the unexpected".

What do you normally do?
    I keep foot brake on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

What do you normally do?

That would be the correct and safest thing to do, but for test purposes you won't be marked for holding it on the footbrake.
    Never take the car out of gear while its moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

aqua2027

Q1. If I am approaching a traffic intersection, and I know from a distance that it has just gone red. back home I used to put it in neutral and come to a stop gradually
    Ans: Do NOT DO THIS.

Q1.2 But I was told by my instructor not to put car in neutral otherwise it will be marked as coasting.
    Ans: I know what your instructor is talking about here, PLEASE listen to your instructor.

Q1.4 I think by putting into neutral means less fuel consumed by car and less emission. I dont know how far is this correct.
    Ans: OFF TOPIC

Q2. I am approaching a junction and lights have gone amber;; to be on safer, I look in rear view mirror and apply brake and push clutch and bring car it to stop.
    Ans: This is fine IF your doing it correctly.

Q3. if I am in back of traffic holding at red light::: should I apply foot brake or hand brake?
    Ans: If you will be stopped for a while you should use your handbrake. Don’t forget when far away from lights, you will have time to put your car into gear, so you should also be in neutral.

Q4. If I am first to go;; I know it makes sense to keep car in gear.
    Ans:YES keep your car in gear, AND are you going to be stopped for a while, are you on a hill? What about the handbrake?

Q4.1 I know it makes sense to keep car in gear. ( wont that be considered to costing and damaging clutch plate.
    Ans:NO

Q5 If you are approaching a stop sign/ yield sign::: is is correct method to come down to fourth gear at 50kmph, and third at 40, then stop or proceed as it may be.
    Ans: use the gear to match your speed. Using this “fourth gear at 50kmph, and third at 40” will not help in the sense of good driving, you should be able to judge your gear by sound and/or feel. You may need more practice.
    I hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Don't coast by disengaging clutch too early or by putting car into neutral, stay in gear, drop a gear if you can, but it's perfectly acceptable to stop in 3rd gear. When stopped, engage handbrake if waiting more than 5 seconds and if at the top of the queue select first gear and engage clutch to biting point. If you're further down the queue, it's okay to engage handbrake and select neutral, just engage first gear when the light goes green/traffic starts to move.

You can also block shift if you want, i.e going from 4th to 2nd without going into 3rd, just don't let the car over-rev by going into 2nd too early. This is ideal when approaching a roundabout, yield sign or a light going green as your approach.

I'm not a driving instructor, but I passed my test by taking the above into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't keep the clutch on the biting point all the time when you're sitting at the lights...mechanic will love to see you calling in every few weeks for a clutch replacement. What you can do and is perfectly acceptable is have the car on the handbreak, first gear selected and clutch fully depressed. Light changes and you get the biting poin, drop the handbreak and accelerate away smoothly. With the more torqueier diesels of today on a downhill start you can do this from second gear ( a bit like the block shifting macroman referred to ), don't do it on your test though in case you stall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement