Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposed Spec for HDMI 1.4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Some welcome additions. The ethernet channel and ARC are nice features but its infuriating that you will need a new v1.4 spec cable for the ethernet channel capability!
    The current HDMIv1.3 top transfer rate of 3.4Gbps can just about handle 4k resolutions if needed(without deep colour), but they will try to convince consumers that u will need a new cable for it instead. The fact that the ethernet functionality comes in 2 speed grades will even add more confusion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a simple high speed digital link for video and audio but the way the HDMI standard has evolved along with the marketing nonsense is a complete mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Im not really a Tech Head but i was about to go out an a buy a normal HDMI cable for my laptop to Full HD telly.

Do i now wait or does this affect me?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Unless you equipment can support an upgrade to your HDMI interface then no. As far as I know HDMI is based on hard ware support not firmware.
    Although the consensus is you don’t need the "Overly Expensive" cable, and that a €10 cable "Should" do.
    I bought extremely expensive HDMI's that are suppose to have ridiculous transfer speed so I don’t mind how fast it gets.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

for this new ethernet capability I *think* you will have to get a new 1.4 spec cable because there will be physically more pins on the connector and channels inside the actual cable. These extra pins etc are for this new ethernet line which will essentially be running in parallel to the normal HDMI AV and encryption traffic.
    In effect, it'll allow you to daisy chain all your broadband enabled devices.

Advertisement