Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comparison BMW 520d vs 525d or 530d

• 05-06-2009 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

I'm considering an upgrade from a 320d to a 5 series.

Currently, I'm leaning towards a 520d, but have been advised that the 525 or the 530 would be a better buy considering the bigger car and also the "drive" is better - esp the 525.

Would be interested in other people's thoughts on this..

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on how you drive and how important the extra refinement of the 6 cylinder engines is to you. I'd drive all three, see what you think. Are you going for new or used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

All else being equal, the 530d (or even better - 535d) is the obvious choice. If the extra power isn't of interest (and the 520d is no slouch anyway), the 520d will do the job just fine. The 525d has always seemed a bit pointless to me - in current guise, it's only an extra 20 bhp over the 520 so why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

But the 525d has the 3.0 6 cylinder engine so much nicer regardless of horsepower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

The 320d I'm in at present is 163bhp and have been told that I can go for the 163 or 177 in a 520, so am thinking that the 177bhp 520 should be fine?

I would like to go for something close to this but am a little worried that I'll end up buying the 520 and wishing I went for the 530..

I have seen a lot of 520s on carzone, so am thinking I would be better to opt for the 530 considering resale opportunities?

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    I have seen a lot of 520s on carzone, so am thinking I would be better to opt for the 530 considering resale opportunities?
    If you're buying pre-July 08, the 520d will likely be worth more than the 530d come resale.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    But the 525d has the 3.0 6 cylinder engine so much nicer regardless of horsepower

Oh I agree - but would still go for the 530!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

this depends on what year car you are buying.

520d is €614 to tax per year pre CO2 rules
    530d is €1,200 odd pre CO2 rules.

if buying an 08 car then i would be going for the 530d if possible as the tax is the same as your 2.0 car now.

the 520d got an update from 163bhp to the 177bhp ED engine iirc which is what i would edge for in the 520d cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 320d I'm in at present is 163bhp and have been told that I can go for the 163 or 177 in a 520, so am thinking that the 177bhp 520 should be fine?

I would like to go for something close to this but am a little worried that I'll end up buying the 520 and wishing I went for the 530..

If going for a pre 2008 model then the 520d will be easier to sell on due to the motor tax being based on engine size rather than Co2 emmissions. The E60 gained Efficency Dynamics in mid 2007 where the 520d went from 163bhp up to 177bhp.

Sorry, meant to add that its a 2007 I'm aiming for.. I guess its the 177bhp 520d I should aim for then...

Thanks!

Sorry, meant to add that its a 2007 I'm aiming for.. I guess its the 177bhp 520d I should aim for then...

Thanks!
    That's the sensible option. Drive the others, see whether what they offer is worth more to you. Also, if it were me me buying i'd insist on automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That '07 520d is way overpriced. If your budget is €34k, you should be able to get a low tax '08 for that.

I currently drive an automatic and have been driving a couple of loan cars from the dealer while mine is in for a service.. all manual, and no way would I go back! :)

Any ideas on where I should look to get the 08 unkel? They seem to be priced around 42k on Carzone, and even with a direct cash approach to adealer I don't think they're going to drop by that much? I'll need to offload the 05 320 if I can't get it traded with a dealer.

Have looked at the UK, and may do this, but was hoping for an inclusive warranty with a dealer car here.

Tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have driven a 520 d and a 530d and a 535d. I feel the 520d is a bit anemic for such a big car. However if tax is an issue its the sensable choice and good around town. The 530d is MUCH smoother and refined for crusing and does not sound as much like a tractor.

However the 535d is a beast. Fast refined, more standard kit. And at the moment savage value. A 06 535 could be got for 25k. Yeah tax is higher but you only live once.

535d FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Have looked at the UK, and may do this, but was hoping for an inclusive warranty with a dealer car here.

All cars even when bought in the UK are covered by a 2 year EU wide manufacturers warranty from new (EU block exemption rules). Irish dealers must and do honour this. UK BMWs have an extra years 'Dealer warranty' added by BMW UK bringing their warranty to 3 years from new. Ask a service advisor from your BMW dealer's service department (not a sales rep) if they honour the extra years warranty on UK cars. I've asked and I've been told yes. It dosn't cost the Irish dealer to do warranty work - they claim the expense from BMW UK and are happy for the extra business. Understandably a sales rep won't tell you this for fear of losing a sale. But do give the sales rep a chance to offer a big discount and extra warranty to make the Irish car competitive with what you find in the UK.

Thanks!
    The 177bhp 520d was only introduced in August-ish 07 so will be relatively rare. It will also be the kiss of death (relatively speaking) at resale time as most 177bhp buyers will be looking for a 2008 model.
    robbie99 wrote: »
    UK BMWs have an extra years 'Dealer warranty' added by BMW UK bringing their warranty to 3 years from new. Ask a service advisor from your BMW dealer's service department (not a sales rep) if they honour the extra years warranty on UK cars. I've asked and I've been told yes. .

The 3rd year warranty is definitely valid in Ireland too. I have this in writing from BMW.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The 177bhp 520d was only introduced in August-ish 07 so will be relatively rare. It will also be the kiss of death (relatively speaking) at resale time as most 177bhp buyers will be looking for a 2008 model.

The 3rd year warranty is definitely valid in Ireland too. I have this in writing from BMW.

i have hammered that home to alot of people thinking of buying late 07 cars at the moment. if you can afford the early 08 one go for it, if not, then save a little longer and get the 08 version because in 3-5 years time when an 07 and 08 are similarily priced, the buyer will always choose the 08 one for the lower road tax.

unless the 07 one is alot cheaper than the 08 one which can be off setted by the more expensive road tax and the reduced cost of selling then its ok.

2008 model for 33k - http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-msp/200920192785502/advert?channel=CARS

2007 model for 35k - http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-M-S/200909191991750/advert?channel=CARS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

Don't short change yourself now. Buy the 6cyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

These are all diesels, so they rattle, and are not refined. The perfect harmonic balance of a 6-cyl is lost on a diesel, as it'll still rattle. It's the reason Rolls Royce don't do diesel cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

JHMEG wrote: »
    It's the reason Rolls Royce don't do diesel cars.

yet;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Johnboy Mac

These are all diesels, so they rattle, and are not refined. The perfect harmonic balance of a 6-cyl is lost on a diesel, as it'll still rattle. It's the reason Rolls Royce don't do diesel cars.

Don't agree, nor do BMW,Mercedes-Benz etc. As for RR, the very logical reason they don't offer a diesel in their cars is their products are about total refinememt and mpg is of no real consideration. Any 6cyl petrol or diesel will be smoother that any 4cyl by the simple fact the a six fires once very 240 degrees of rotation of the crank compaired to every 360 degrees on a four cylinder. All one needs to do is listen to both engines.............

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    unless the 07 one is alot cheaper than the 08 one which can be off setted by the more expensive road tax and the reduced cost of selling then its ok.

2008 model for 33k - http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-msp/200920192785502/advert?channel=CARS

2007 model for 35k - http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-M-S/200909191991750/advert?channel=CARS

I've been after an '08, but there's a jump of 5-7k from the '07 models from what I can see. (examples above the 08 is manual and the 07 manual).

I would imagine that I'll be selling this off again in maybe two years, so am wondering if the value then would justify trying to pull together an additional 5-6k to go for the 08 - the tax will be much lower for sure, so would go a long way towards justifying it if I was to hold on to it even for 2-3 years before resale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I've been after an '08, but there's a jump of 5-7k from the '07 models from what I can see. (examples above the 08 is manual and the 07 manual).

I would imagine that I'll be selling this off again in maybe two years, so am wondering if the value then would justify trying to pull together an additional 5-6k to go for the 08 - the tax will be much lower for sure, so would go a long way towards justifying it if I was to hold on to it even for 2-3 years before resale.

I'd plan on keeping it for either much longer, or shorter. In July 2011 the market will be absolutley flooded with base model 520d SE Manuals which a lot of fleet companies took on in early July 2008.

If you are only planning on keeping the car 2-3 years, go for a 530d - better chance of selling it as it won't be like the 100's of 520d's around.

Don't agree, nor do BMW,Mercedes-Benz etc. As for RR, the very logical reason they don't offer a diesel in their cars is their products are about total refinememt and mpg is of no real consideration. Any 6cyl petrol or diesel will be smoother that any 4cyl by the simple fact the a six fires once very 240 degrees of rotation of the crank compaired to every 360 degrees on a four cylinder. All one needs to do is listen to both engines.............
    I'm not disputing the perfect balance. Vibration will be zero as a result, but it will still rattle. There's no getting away from the fact that it's still a diesel and brings with it a lack of refinement, which is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Didn't someone post several examples of brand new BMWs from the UK, including a 520d for about €34,000?

I'm not disputing the perfect balance. Vibration will be zero as a result, but it will still rattle. There's no getting away from the fact that it's still a diesel and brings with it a lack of refinement, which is all I'm saying.
    A 6cyl BMW diesel will still vibrate, it'll just be a less unpleasant vibration than a 4cyl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In 2 years time the E60 will have been replaced by a newer model so the E60 will be dropping in value anyway. But given the choice between a 07 and 08 I would imagine most people will opt for the 08 because of the lower road tax. This will mean resale values of 07 models will have to lower substantially to attract buyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd plan on keeping it for either much longer, or shorter. In July 2011 the market will be absolutley flooded with base model 520d SE Manuals which a lot of fleet companies took on in early July 2008.

If you are only planning on keeping the car 2-3 years, go for a 530d - better chance of selling it as it won't be like the 100's of 520d's around.

Dont you mean you'll be flooding the market in 2011?.....;):D

I'd go for the 520d. Them extra horse ponies are no good to you on IRish roads IMO. You may get off the line to 60 faster, but you cant exactly break that in most places can you?

The 530d would only cost you alot in Speeding fines and your licence would have more points that Man Utd after a good season. We had a 330d Auto in a while back, and it was very, very hard to stick to the limit.

Add all this to the fact that your 520d will be easier to sell in three years time compared to your 530d, i'd be having the 520d.

The above is all just my opinion BTW. No need to start an argument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Didn't someone post several examples of brand new BMWs from the UK, including a 520d for about €34,000?

Yeah, i think that was proven untrue, several times...;):rolleyes:

Anan1 wrote: »
    A 6cyl BMW diesel will still vibrate, it'll just be a less unpleasant vibration than a 4cyl.

Well put. Vibration as a result of balance will be zero. Vibration as a result of diesel will still be plentiful!

• Advertisement

Them extra horse ponies are no good to you on IRish roads IMO. You may get off the line to 60 faster, but you cant exactly break that in most places can you?

The 530d would only cost you alot in Speeding fines and your licence would have more points that Man Utd after a good season. We had a 330d Auto in a while back, and it was very, very hard to stick to the limit.

have to agree....my 535d could be a licence looser if you forget to hold back the horses.
    I even find myself setting the cruise to 30mph in built up areas to keep myself in check.
    OP, all in all, the 5 series is a fine, fine car.
    You've just got a 4 pot v's 6 pot quandry on your hands.........and what a nice quandry to have in a recession! :D

emmm no....easily possible to buy brand new from UK for 35kish.

emmm no....easily possible to buy brand new from UK for 35kish.

Oh please let's not go there, it will get this thread locked.

OP is looking for an automatic which as well as being pricier, is in a higher VRT band. The previous calculations are irrelevant here.

In before the lock so!

You've just got a 4 pot v's 6 pot quandry on your hands.........and what a nice quandry to have in a recession! :D
    I'd go for the 520d. Them extra horse ponies are no good to you on IRish roads IMO. You may get off the line to 60 faster, but you cant exactly break that in most places can you?

Been there, done that.. been cursing the Irish roads on more than one occasion specifically because half of them are 50mph tops.. or 60 and cruise up behind a tractor or some Sunday driver out a few days early!

I do like the 520 alright.. I've looked at the 525 and the 530 but there aren't too many of the 525s around, and the 530 are getting pricey.. if it is a "must" instead of the 520 then I would stretch to it, but I figure the best would be to get myself a really nicely specced 520 and then take my chances in a year or three when I want to sell it on.

Of course, the 320 only lasted 5 months, so who knows how long it will be before I set my sights on a 6 series... :P

Any other thoughts on the 4 -vs- 6 cylinder debate? Aside from the vibrations consideration, are there any knows reliability issues with either? Any other problems to consider?

Thanks

robbie99 wrote: »
    Oh please let's not go there, it will get this thread locked.

OP is looking for an automatic which as well as being pricier, is in a higher VRT band. The previous calculations are irrelevant here.

I thought it would be quite relevent, in that if he's looking for a 07 520d, why not get a 09 one for the same price?

• Advertisement

I thought it would be quite relevent, in that if he's looking for a 07 520d, why not get a 09 one for the same price?

He's looking for an automatic.

Think i'm missing something, whats wrong with a new automatic, aside from the slight price hike?

Think i'm missing something, whats wrong with a new automatic, aside from the slight price hike?
    The automatic bumps the car into a higher VRT bracket.

Ah, gotcha. Had to spell that one out big time. :)

Well I know what i'd do, the bump would be worth getting 3 years warranty and a brand new car in my eyes.

Well I know what i'd do, the bump would be worth getting 3 years warranty and a brand new car in my eyes.

Maybe, but when you consider that bump would take the cost of the car from 35k for a '07 to a list (OTR) price of 53k for a '09... And I know its cheaper to get it from the UK.. but you get the idea..

A three year warranty would cost perhaps 3k so even taking it from the 53k - its a lot extra to pay for a new car. Add to that the fact that the new car would have depreciated by xxx just as soon as I drive it away - so I think I would have a bigger (relative) drop in trying to sell on the 09 in the future.

Take a demo one being sold off, or someone hitting hard times, and maybe you knock another 2-3k off that.. its still a chunk above the target area of approx 35k, and, in my opinion not worth the extra money.

• Advertisement

Lads, i'd like to keep away from the 'whether it's cheaper to buy here or in the UK' discussion, it's been done here before and it ended badly. I'm sure the OP's well capable of shopping around and doing the sums before committing to anything, so let's just stick to the topic at hand for now.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I used to own a 2006 520d pre LCI so it was slightly less powered than the LCI 2007 models. Saying that if you are not bothered about having bucket loads of power the 520d is perfect. Of course it is only 4cyl vs 6cyl in the others but when I owned the 520d the refinement never bothered me.

Saying that personally I did want more power so changed to a 2007 LCI 535d.

Just be careful re the tax differences between 2007 and 2008 models - I am left with around 1300 tax on mine versus around 800 if it was a 2008 model. Saying that it is a small price to pay in my opinion but I know some people might be concerned about how it would effect trade in down the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Think the question of a "licence melting" 335d is stupid. You can break the speed limit in a 520d very easily, as can you in any modern car. Having the extra ponies means you have power when you need it for safer overtaking, Bigger brakes, a smother more refined engine, more extras as standard.

Advertisement