Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pjmc

PCPhoto wrote: »
    nearest luas is connolly station (and thats 15-20min walk away from Croker)

there are busses that will go from Connolly up around the drumcondra area (less than 5mins walk to Croker)

PS. Anyone going to Croker for U2 that wants to have their pic taken for the national papers - I'll be doing some fans Fri, Sat and Monday evenings if anyone wants to have their mug on the paper.

will email some pics from the gig as a thank you.

myself and three friends would be up for having a few pictures taken on saturday for papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rathlyon

I would think you would want to be there at 8am to get in inner circle - anyone else got any advice here?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Does anyone know the actual reason we are not getting the 360 degrees experience like every other country? It is quite embaressing and very annoying tbh. If Hill 16 is so dangerous then why is it used during matches? Surely seats can be put there? If not then why dont they just put the stage in the middle of Croker where it is meant to be, and have the crowd stand around it on the pitch? Sorry, but it fails to make sence if you ask me.:rolleyes:

There are rumours they will be playing the new Landsdown Rd next year when they return to Europe. I am sure it would work properly there, although would prop barely fit it the place.:P

Anyway, I am going Fri and Sat. Have the €30 tickets for Sat and am hoping the view is good. That is my main reason for being annoyed the stage is not in the middle. The setlist was getting very predictable but after last night in Amesterdam has changed all of that. I am really hoping for some suprises such as Out Of Control, Kite, Bad, Discotheque, The Fly etc. Not liking the remix of Crazy Tonight though, wish they would play the normal version as it sounded great live from the clip on Jonathan Ross last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

Hey Rathlyon,
    I agree with queueing from 8am, although the announcement on the U2 website said queueing from 9am...then ticketmaster said 4pm...so I have no idea what to do...I'm assuming the demand for the inner circle will be huge but I'm confused as to where to wait and where to queue from...if anyone could pm me after the Friday show I would be very grateful! ;) My ticket says to enter via St. Jamses Av.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SB-08 wrote: »
    If not then why dont they just put the stage in the middle of Croker where it is meant to be

Is it in the middle everywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dilla

Niamhf wrote: »
    Hey Rathlyon,
    I agree with queueing from 8am, although the announcement on the U2 website said queueing from 9am...then ticketmaster said 4pm...so I have no idea what to do...I'm assuming the demand for the inner circle will be huge but I'm confused as to where to wait and where to queue from...if anyone could pm me after the Friday show I would be very grateful! ;) My ticket says to enter via St. Jamses Av.
    I am going the 3 nights.I don't have red zone tickets just the GA.
    Since it is 270, will there be people standing outside the main stage on the 3 sides or will it just be on side (at the front like normal concerts!)
    I have friday off, so I was thinking of queuing but I am very confused!! if anyone knows will they PM me also. That would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Does anyone know the actual reason we are not getting the 360 degrees experience like every other country? It is quite embaressing and very annoying tbh. If Hill 16 is so dangerous then why is it used during matches? Surely seats can be put there? If not then why dont they just put the stage in the middle of Croker where it is meant to be, and have the crowd stand around it on the pitch? Sorry, but it fails to make sence if you ask me.:rolleyes:

i think it is more the time it will take to take down the stage and relay the surface - they think they would be cutting it too tight for the next game being played there if they had to take seating off the hill on top of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

rathlyon wrote: »
    I would think you would want to be there at 8am to get in inner circle - anyone else got any advice here?

I turned up at 5.30pm on the Monday Vertigo gig and got in the pit no problem,walked straight in.
    Judging from reviews the inner circle isnt the best vantage point for this tour.
    As the shape of the pit is C shaped everyone is trying to get in the middle in front of the stage resulting in overcrowding and discomfort.
    The sound is also poor there as the speakers are almost behind the inner circle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Is the pit scenario gonna be if you are there early you get a pit pass or is it when people walk out of the pit other people can get in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

See earlier in this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61020915&postcount=103

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jasonb wrote: »
    Thats already been rubbished as a theory. There are two wide pitch side exits on either side of The Hill (to give you an idea of how wide the machinery used to dig up the pitch, along with the trucks carry the U2 stage used these to enter the pitch). These are wider than the Cusack/Canal exit/entrance which will be use.

It also quite easy to apply to DCC for a temp increase of capacity - for example Shamrock Rovers ground was granted permission to increase from 3,000 to 10,000 for Monday last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Thats already been rubbished as a theory. There are two wide pitch side exits on either side of The Hill (to give you an idea of how wide the machinery used to dig up the pitch, along with the trucks carry the U2 stage used these to enter the pitch). These are wider than the Cusack/Canal exit/entrance which will be use.

It also quite easy to apply to DCC for a temp increase of capacity - for example Shamrock Rovers ground was granted permission to increase from 3,000 to 10,000 for Monday last.

Incorrect, neither of these entrances are suitable for people entering or leaving the pitch area. Both lead into bottlenecks unlike the tunnel in the south east corner which exits into a car park area which allows a crowd to disperse. You don't have that on the west side of the pitch. If you look at other stadia around the world, they all have open areas immediately around it.

There is no need to increase the capacity of the stadium when you already have 80,000+ tickets to sell. Why would you? Every stadium is different and the bands production use the optimal configuration available. Why would they want to increase capacity??

It's quite easy to apply for an increase in capacity? You must be joking. If you were to use the pitch and Hill 16 you are talking about possibly a 10,000 increase per night. The stadium simply isn't designed for that neverminding the local politics and objections that would go with it. They're already complaining about 44 hour work shift to dismantle the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

BrianD wrote: »
    Incorrect, neither of these entrances are suitable for people entering or leaving the pitch area. Both lead into bottlenecks unlike the tunnel in the south east corner which exits into a car park area which allows a crowd to disperse. You don't have that on the west side of the pitch.
    What are you talking about? Firstly the exit pitch side at the corner of The Hill and the Hogan is used on a match day to allow people to exit the stadium, secondly the exit at the corner of the The Hill and the Cusack exits into the same car park which you mention above. It can also be configured to exit onto St Jospehs Avenue. Both of these exits are at least as wide as the one which will be used, both comply with health and safety standards and both can be and are used for the movement of people on a match day.
    BrianD wrote: »
    If you were to use the pitch and Hill 16 you are talking about possibly a 10,000 increase per night.
    Hill 16 has a capacity of approx 6,000 when the seating is installed. Capacity on the pitch would not be increased, the stage would be just repositioned.

I'm giving you the facts. Not theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Guys,

Just been reading those rules and the comments about the camera lenses on this thread. I have an entry level SLR and I was hoping to bring it on Friday and see if I could get any decent shots- i'm only am amateur and it's purely a hobby- I just enjoy taking photos and having the SLR means I should be able to take better ones!

I am getting from this that I won't be allowed in with my SLR as it has a removable lens. Is this becuase they have agreements with certain "professional" photographers to have exclusive rights to pics from the concerts? They don't want to have potential competition in there? My own photos would be purely for personal use and they wouldn't be good enough even if I tried to sell them anyway! :o

Doesn't really seem fair to rain on the hobbyist parade :(

Anyway, looking forward to the gig! Paid 90 for our seated tickets but from where the stage is placed it looks like they won't be that decent.. seems to be at the back towards the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rathlyon

Hey there

If any of you are heading either to the red zone or the pit on Friday or saturday (Kenny et al) please make sure to let us know how you got on i.e. what time you got there for the Queue, best spots there, general advice etc

I have a wedding on Sat so I will be with you all in spirit;)

Roll on Monday - really looking forward to it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

I have a ticket for the Hogan stand would there be any chance of me sneeking to the pitch to stand?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have a ticket for the Hogan stand would there be any chance of me sneeking to the pitch to stand?

Good luck with that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

See my earlier quote below
    No you can't. Mate of mine got rugby tackled at the last U2 gig in Croker trying to get on the pitch with a seating ticket.

Not a big fan of Croker for concerts. Very annoying that you have to stay outside to have a drink when on the pitch. That's why I bought a premium level ticket this time. Roll on Saturday. It's gonna be a stomper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

See my earlier quote below

I doubt very highly stewarts will be looking too close as to where the ticket is for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Banrion

Hi all, I'd appreciate some help with this....
    Myself and my brother are driving up from Limerick. He wants to use the park and ride and Luas into town.
    -Should we park in the Red Cow or Tallaght park and ride?
    -Where should we get off the Luas? Connolly, I presume?
    -How long does the journey take? (from Red cow to Connolly?)
    -If the concert ends at 11pm, will we be in time for the last Luas?
    I think thats everything. Thanks if you got this far. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noemie

Hi Guys,

A group of us are travelling from Edinburgh tomorrow to see U2...needless to say that on a scale of 1 to 10, our excitment is off the scale...We have never been to Dublin and are looking for a few tips from our irish mates.
    We are staying in Montrose Hotel. We have pitch standing tickets.
    Would you recommend we went to the stadium early on? and where should we go afterwards? we are up for partying all night....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Banrion wrote: »
    Hi all, I'd appreciate some help with this....
    Myself and my brother are driving up from Limerick. He wants to use the park and ride and Luas into town.
    -Should we park in the Red Cow or Tallaght park and ride? - RED COW means you've a straight run up from Limerick, be aware that the entrance to the P&R has changed recently and it may seem like you're being directed in the wrong direction as you head left off the N7 after Joels and then swing around
    -Where should we get off the Luas? Connolly, I presume? Connolly
    -How long does the journey take? (from Red cow to Connolly?) 30 minutes
    -If the concert ends at 11pm, will we be in time for the last Luas? - yeah no botherI think thats everything. Thanks if you got this far. :)

see here for further details including map of entrance to p&r
    http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Red_Cow_Car_Park_Red_Line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I doubt very highly stewarts will be looking too close as to where the ticket is for

you will be surprised so......
    depends on the security crew involved, personally I would look at every ticket, and they should, oddly enough theres a reason why they only sell a certain amount of tickets for the pitch - health and safety......I've seen plenty of people stopped getting into standing areas recently - but at the same time my bro walked into the standing area in the O2 a few weeks back....

noemie wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

A group of us are travelling from Edinburgh tomorrow to see U2...needless to say that on a scale of 1 to 10, our excitment is off the scale...We have never been to Dublin and are looking for a few tips from our irish mates.
    We are staying in Montrose Hotel. We have pitch standing tickets.
    Would you recommend we went to the stadium early on? and where should we go afterwards? we are up for partying all night....

Depends on what you want. If you like to see all the supporting bands etc then go to the stadium. However, you cannot bring drinks on to the pitch so you have to stay at the ****ty bars outside the stands (they're awful and you cant see the stage from them). I personally would go for a few pints in town (see below) then head for the stadium about 45 minutes before. Or else you could drink closer to the ground (Big Tree etc) and head in when ready.

As for going out after, there load's of choices - Harcourt Street, Temple Bar, Wexford Street, Off Grafton Street etc etc etc.

Headin in on Saturday. Can't wait. Then headin to Edinburgh on Thursday for 5 nights.

Enjoy the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jason D

Niamhf wrote: »
    Hey,
    I read on the ticketmaster website that queueing is not allowed until 4pm....any suggestions on what to do in order to have the best chance of getting into the inner circle? I'm assuming that "no queueing until 4pm" MEANS no queueing until 4pm!! :confused:

Yep, as usual MCD put information on their site that is probably complete rubbish and just confuses things. It wouldn't confuse things of course if you knew they'd stick to it, but no doubt it's rubbish.

Not sure what to do to be honest – I can't imagine they could police people queuing outside the no queue zone and that would mean much more of an issue for residents with people milling around.

That said, it maybe suggests there is less of an ordered pit pass queuing system for this gig and that it's a run when you get inside job, but anybody's guess.

To be honest I think I'm going to take a relaxed view on this one, because I can see it being a nightmare with no particular system and a bit of a free-for-all, unless the pit area is just for people who've paid more anyway.

Did anyone queue for the pit in another venue earlier in the tour? Maybe they can clarify how it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

assuming the concert finishs approx 11pm, how long will it take to get out of the stadium. i need to be back at connolly station for a train at 1215

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kgpixels

Heading to mon night gig, can't wait. Never seen them live before.

mac09 wrote: »
    assuming the concert finishs approx 11pm, how long will it take to get out of the stadium. i need to be back at connolly station for a train at 1215

cheers

Yep you'll make it no problem. Takes about 20-30 minutes to get there on the way out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jason D

cheers

Will be no problem at all assuming it doesn't over run much and based on my experiences at previous concerts here. You should have easily enough time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

cheers

Apparently they got an extension until 11:30pm so I assume the concert will go until then. Regarding getting from the Stadium to Connolly, it really depends where you are located in the stadium. Either way once you get outside the stadium a brisk walk should get you to Connolly in less then 15 - 20 minutes. That's what I can do it in after games anyway.

Advertisement