Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 noemie

Depends on what you want. If you like to see all the supporting bands etc then go to the stadium. However, you cannot bring drinks on to the pitch so you have to stay at the ****ty bars outside the stands (they're awful and you cant see the stage from them). I personally would go for a few pints in town (see below) then head for the stadium about 45 minutes before. Or else you could drink closer to the ground (Big Tree etc) and head in when ready.

As for going out after, there load's of choices - Harcourt Street, Temple Bar, Wexford Street, Off Grafton Street etc etc etc.

Headin in on Saturday. Can't wait. Then headin to Edinburgh on Thursday for 5 nights.

Enjoy the gig

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the tip. I think we will head early to see the supporting bands. How long will it take to walk from the stadium to city centre?
    If you have not been to Edinburgh before and you are looking for some tips, give me a shout. I will be happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

noemie wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for the tip. I think we will head early to see the supporting bands. How long will it take to walk from the stadium to city centre?
    If you have not been to Edinburgh before and you are looking for some tips, give me a shout. I will be happy to help.

Takes about 20 minutes to get to O'Connell Street.
    Was at a stags last weekend in Edinburgh so will be there twice in 3 weeks. Thanks anyway though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Any good bars between O'Connell St & Croker?
    20 mins is a long walk, I might have to stop along the way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bluetonic wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Firstly the exit pitch side at the corner of The Hill and the Hogan is used on a match day to allow people to exit the stadium, secondly the exit at the corner of the The Hill and the Cusack exits into the same car park which you mention above. It can also be configured to exit onto St Jospehs Avenue. Both of these exits are at least as wide as the one which will be used, both comply with health and safety standards and both can be and are used for the movement of people on a match day.

Hill 16 has a capacity of approx 6,000 when the seating is installed. Capacity on the pitch would not be increased, the stage would be just repositioned.

I'm giving you the facts. Not theories.

Ok well look at some facts then. So if you put in seating for 6,000 and you put the remaining 7,000 onto the pitch (based on a 13,000 capacity for the Hill end), 3,500 either side of the stage. It would look empty. I was at the last date of the last Croke Park and the pitch looked underused (although that was with the stage being on the hill).

I calculate that if the claw stage takes up 1/3 of the pitch area then the standing capacity of the remaining pitch area would be 17,000 which would equate to 8,500 either side of the stage (I am basing this on 0.5 sqm per person and the pitch being 144.5m x 88m).

The other fact is that the exit onto Jones road is used for OB vehicles (normally) and is not a safe place for a mass exit of people. It leads into a restricted area by the bridge and a narrow st, while on the west side you have the car park area as a dispersal area.

In summary, if the capacity of the stadium can't change then you end up a small crowd on the pitch which doen't look good for either the band or the tens of thousands sitting in the stands.

If you increase the capacity of the stadium to allow 6,000 in Hill 16 seated and 17,000 on the pitch then you don't have enough safe egress for people in case of a calamity.

The other interesting thing is that although the stage design is supposed to increase the poential capacity of a venue by 15-20% that "Only tiered football stadiums can be used with this scheme; flat fields and baseball stadiums are not possible venues". Does mean that the Hill end would be unsuitable?

Of course the real nub of the question is, what are people moaning about? It's not as if the audience can wander around the stage and view it from every angle. If your going will you be standing/sitting and saying, I really wish I was on the other side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Any good bars between O'Connell St & Croker?
    20 mins is a long walk, I might have to stop along the way :pac:

There's plenty. You won't have any problems re-hydrating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

techdiver wrote: »
    Apparently they got an extension until 11:30pm so I assume the concert will go until then. Regarding getting from the Stadium to Connolly, it really depends where you are located in the stadium. Either way once you get outside the stadium a brisk walk should get you to Connolly in less then 15 - 20 minutes. That's what I can do it in after games anyway.

hmmm so its going on until 1130 that could leave it tight to make the train

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭techdiver

mac09 wrote: »
    hmmm so its going on until 1130 that could leave it tight to make the train

Actually I have been reading around and I think I may have been mistaken. I believe they applied for an extension until 11.30pm, but that was turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jason D

From what I can see, the system is that you queue up and then have to run to the pit to get stamped, although I'm not convinced that will happen, but it's apparently been done at other venues on this tour. So a shame if you're not fit or likely to get trampled in the rush, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Theres more talk about this flippin' stage thing than there is about the music.
    Whatever happened to 4 guys , their gear and a black curtain behind them :p

Them were the days bejaysus.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yoshi6

Just got tickets for U2 Concert for Monday for Hogan Stand - Premium -Mid 535 Row A. Would anyone know if these are seated, am presuming they are because of price! (hope there will be a good atmosphere there) and anyone know if they would be close to stage. Can't figure out map on ticketmaster. Thanks!

• Advertisement

yoshi6 wrote: »
    Just got tickets for U2 Concert for Monday for Hogan Stand - Premium -Mid 535 Row A. Would anyone know if these are seated, am presuming they are because of price! (hope there will be a good atmosphere there) and anyone know if they would be close to stage. Can't figure out map on ticketmaster. Thanks!

Section 535 is toward the Hill 16 end of the stadium. You will be to the side of the stage. You can view a seating chart here - http://www.crokepark.ie/page/stadium_seating_plan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

Actually I have been reading around and I think I may have been mistaken. I believe they applied for an extension until 11.30pm, but that was turned down.

read somewhere this morning that they are expected on stage at 915 ish and are expected to play for 2:15 which brings us nicely to 11:30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

William72 wrote: »

read somewhere this morning that they are expected on stage at 915 ish and are expected to play for 2:15 which brings us nicely to 11:30

the running times are few pages back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

William72 wrote: »

The concert finish time is 2300 according to the licence issued on July 7th. Looks like the lose €80K if they go over that.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Documents/LICENCECOPYWEB.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

ha..... springsteen only had to pay 40K per night (for going over his time)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Im just back from work.

I am local crew for for all MCD gigs.

we are nearly finished the stage for U2 today.

You wont belive your eye when you see it. its breathtaking. Its soooooo big.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Im just back from work.

Mate hopefully you can help?

I have been trying to find out for definite whether Glas Vegas or Damien Dempsey are playing first tomorrow?

Don't want to miss Damien Dempsey so hoping he is on second?

Would really appreciate if you could find out or maybe even know yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Look back a few pages and you will find the running order.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Look back a few pages and you will find the running order.

I've already read that and there are contradictions on other pages and sites.

That's why I've asked the chap that says he works for MCD directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i heard my crew boss say it was glass vegus first . But she may or may not know. Heard it on passing.

Non of the support band stuff is set up as yet. Only the U2 set. Support band stuff is thrown together very quick usually and will be the last thing the tour crew will be worring about to be honest. Its hard to give you a 100% answer.

the stage is epic

• Advertisement

i heard my crew boss say it was glass vegus first . But she may or may not know. Heard it on passing.

Non of the support band stuff is set up as yet. Only the U2 set. Support band stuff is thrown together very quick usually and will be the last thing the tour crew will be worring about to be honest. Its hard to give you a 100% answer.

the stage is epic

No problem - thanks for coming back to me anyway. Much Appreciated.

Have seen some pictures of the stage aswell and it does looks pretty impressive!

Enjoy the gig....

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Does anybody know what the craic is with bringing in drink, booze, to the gig. Will they let you bring in a plastic bottle filled with Vodka and coke for example?
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Just to mention anyone travelling home on the maynooth line the nights of the concerts , last train from drumcondra is 00:15

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

In connection with the U2 concert at Croke Park the following special trains will operate:

Please note Intercity services can now be booked on www.irishrail.ie

Friday 24th July

Intercity

08.20 Cork to Dublin (Heuston)

10.10 Cork to Dublin (Heuston)

01.00 Dublin (Heuston) to Cork and Limerick (After Friday nights concert)

01.15 Dublin (Heuston) to Galway (After Friday nights concert)

Commuter

23.45 Dublin (Connolly) to Maynooth

00.05 Dublin (Connolly) to Maynooth (After Friday nights concert)

00.15 Dublin (Connolly) to Dundalk (After Friday nights concert)

DART

For DART services please click here

Saturday 25th July

Intercity

10.30 Westport to Dublin (Heuston)

01.00 Dublin (Heuston) to Cork and Limerick - (After Saturday nights concert)

01.15 Dublin (Heuston) to Galway and Westport - (After Saturday nights concert)

Commuter

10.15 Waterford to Dublin (Heuston)

23.45 Dublin (Connolly) to Maynooth

00.05 Dublin (Connolly) to Maynooth (After Saturday nights concert)

00.15 Dublin (Connolly) to Dundalk (After Saturday nights concert)

DART

For DART services please click here

Sunday 26th July

Intercity

11.00 Dublin (Heuston) to Cork

Monday 27th July

Intercity

01.00 Dublin (Heuston) to Cork and Limerick (After Monday nights concert)

01.15 Dublin (Heuston) to Galway (After Monday nights concert)

Commuter

23.45 Connolly to Maynooth (After Monday nights concert)

00.05 Connolly to Maynooth (After Monday nights concert)

00.15 Connolly to Dundalk (After Monday nights concert)

Please also note 23.10 Pearse to Maynooth is deferred to 23.29

23.20 Connolly to Drogheda is deferred to 23.55

DART

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I got a pitch ticket just this evening for Saturday, I thought they'd be all sold out by now!
    Instant suspicion, what's the catch?! Is Saturday the uncool night to go, will it just be me and U2? :p
    Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Im just back from work.

Do ya mind me asking how you landed that job? Always wondered where mcd gets its local crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Right, a question for any of you guys that have been in there since the claw is up. I am in sec 309 row RR so im near to the back of that section. Will the over hang of the premium tier above me block my view of the top of the claw?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Right, a question for any of you guys that have been in there since the claw is up. I am in sec 309 row RR so im near to the back of that section. Will the over hang of the premium tier above me block my view of the top of the claw?

I've sat at the back of the canal end and the back of the cusack and hogans before. The last 3 or 4 rows are pretty poor. Put it this way you would barely see the top of the goal posts in those rows so the stage is way higher.

I dont know how far back row PR is though. You may be ok.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The big day is here woohoo,cant bloody wait.
    Whats everyones plans?

We are gonna leave Kildare at about 2:30,head up get parking,head in on the luas ,eat in our favourite mexican restaurant at 4:30 [worth starving ourselves all day for :) ] after which we shall walk to croker and soak up the atmosphere which like all U2 shows will be electric.

Hope everyone has a great time.

Just had to put this in,sound isnt the best but gives an idea of the awesomeness of it all :) [where city of blinding lights leads into Vertigo is Epic]

• Advertisement

setanta74 wrote: »
    I've sat at the back of the canal end and the back of the cusack and hogans before. The last 3 or 4 rows are pretty poor. Put it this way you would barely see the top of the goal posts in those rows so the stage is way higher.

I dont know how far back row PR is though. You may be ok.

The Rows in the Lower levels usually work from A - Z and the AA - ZZ (some just go to YY or XX). That would mean row RR in section 309 would be 44 rows back from the front in the Lower Cusack. Your view should not be restricted too much from there.

Advertisement