Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

so. Off to my first gig now :)
    See everyone there !!!

have a ball.....I can remember my first gig......just about :-)

Gates opened at 5pm not 6pm as was announced by MCD.Typical.:rolleyes:

it's the same with all the Queuing crap - there's been people queuing since yesterday, Redidents not happy, so apparetnly they were given numbers and have been queuing inside the gates ??????? what's that all about........

and the times didn't make sense to ask people to be there 30 mins before the first band starts even though that's the same time the gates open......thought they'd have to be open at 5 for that.......thanks for the info....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ninejean

so. Off to my first gig now :)
    See everyone there !!!

I saw U2 in Cork as my first gig ever, 16 years or so ago and I've loved them since! Enjoy. Leaving shortly myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

NIBBS wrote: »
    I think that scully was refferroing to Real Fans as opposed to people buying tickets to sell them.......and I guess more dedicated fans of the band.....

scully - I take your point that the Fanclub route generally gives you a better chance of getting tickets for shows, but times have changed, for example I don't think you'd have the same advantage if they play in the O2 - aren't seats out of bounds because they are held for Premium Club members of the venue - this sort of thing and mobile phone companies having their customers get the same advantages as Fanclub members in presales makes a laugh of the whole thing...........and as the lads have said being in the Fanclub is no gaurantee that the people are real fans of the band.....

anyway - going off topic here too much.......will be there tomorrow night too, first time to see U2 live, a mate had a spare ticket so I decided to take in the experience........enjoy it, as I'm sure you will....:D

Why do people keep asking what the stage times are every page ??????

Thanks Nibbs...

I agree with much of what you've said, and if they did play the O2, then tickets would indeed be like gold-dust even for U2.com members. I was talking relative to Croke Park where there are so many tickets available and that anyone with a genuine longing to see the bad would maximise their chances of getting a ticket by being in the fan-club. I wasn't suggesting that everyone in the fan-club was a genuine U2 fan. As you mentioned earlier, this is an avenue that touts would explore to the hilt.

Bluetonic & Mossy, I understand your grievance with the term 'real fans'. I've seen it on F365 myself plenty of times :) . Let me instead refer to them as fans with a genuine love for U2 and a genuine desire to see them, and not the type of concert-goer who just goes to say that they were there. Real fans like these, especially the many that travel from overseas (and who wouldn't call THEM 'real fans') should join to allow themselves the best chance of getting tickets.

Anyhow, that's all I've got to say on it. Agree or disagree if you like - we've all got opinions. The last word is yours if you want it :D

Enjoy the show guys - from the clips I've seen, it should be a good one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

concerts in daylight, one of the worst things about ireland.

i went last time they were here, partly to experience croke park which i'd never been to before, a significant lack of atmosphere partly cos i was in the high seats at the back, 3 sided stadiums are also a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

concerts in daylight, one of the worst things about ireland

Yip,thats a serious drawback allright,not as bad as Vertigo where they were playing in late June.

Kop On wrote: »
    I have been trying to find out for definite whether Glas Vegas or Damien Dempsey are playing first tomorrow?

Don't want to miss Damien Dempsey so hoping he is on second?

As expected MCD posted the wrong times .:rolleyes:
    Glasvegas were on second not first as billed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I can hear the concert now from my house, can't wait for monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I can hear the concert now from my house, can't wait for monday!!

In Rathfarnham?

• Advertisement

finbarrk wrote: »
    In Rathfarnham?

Yes, its fairly muffled though, can only hear the heavy bass, but it's still something :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭finbarrk

That might mean that the Kaiser Chiefs will be on second tomorrow night so.

And also hopefully The Script won't be playing on Monday.

claw1.jpg

stage1.jpg

Friday's Setlist !
    1. Breathe
    2. No Line on the Horizon
    3. Get On Your Boots
    4. Magnificent
    5. Here Comes the Sun (snippet) / Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
    6. Elevation
    7. Desire
    8. Stuck In A Moment
    9. The Auld Triangle (cover)
    10. One / Do You Hear Us Coming Lord (probably)
    11. Until The End of the World
    12. The Unforgettable Fire
    13. City of Blinding Lights
    14. Vertigo
    15. Crazy remix
    16. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rocking the Casbah (snippet)
    17. Pride (In the Name of Love)
    18. MLK
    19. Walk On/ You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)
    20. Desmond Tutu speech
    21. Where the Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
    22. 40 (snippet) / Bad / Fool To Cry (snippet) / 40 (snippet)

Encore - Funeral Blues (W.H. Auden)

23. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
    24. With or Without You
    25. Moment of Surrender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

sorry if I sound ignorant but who was that person from Burma that Bono was talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

poisonated wrote: »
    sorry if I sound ignorant but who was that person from Burma that Bono was talking about?

All you need to know- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aung_San_Suu_Kyi

The weather was great!

Concert started out badly- the warm up acts were appalling and failed to build any atmosphere, then there was pretty much no build up before the lads came on stage.. it was a bit like "oh right, there they are..." however after a couple of songs the crowd really got going though and the rest was amazing! Hit after hit!

Sang my heart out the whole way through... (apologies to my neighbours :o )

The stage and lighting really are something else.

If you're going on Sat or Monday you won't be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robdrog

What time did U2 come on at?

Bang on 9. Or maybe 2 minutes before! And finished at 23.03

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Can't say I enjoyed it a whole lot. It was good but I was expecting it to be great. It could have been where I was seated. I reckon if I were in the red zone it would have been far better. I'll also admit i'm not the biggest U2 fan either but I can appreciate a good live act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

FatBeard wrote: »
    It could have been where I was seated. I reckon if I were in the red zone it would have been far better. I'll also admit i'm not the biggest U2 fan either but I can appreciate a good live act.

Where were you sitting? On the steps outside? I'm definitely not a big U2 fan but that was an amazing show. They've set the standard for live entertainment. The stage/screen is massive. Absolutely ridiculous amount of lights. They rocked. End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

FatBeard wrote: »
    Can't say I enjoyed it a whole lot. It was good but I was expecting it to be great. It could have been where I was seated. I reckon if I were in the red zone it would have been far better. I'll also admit i'm not the biggest U2 fan either but I can appreciate a good live act.

what section were you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FatBeard

Was in the Davin stand. There wasn't much of a crowd around me so hard to get into atmosphere. Leonard Cohen blew them to bits last weekend but that's just my opinion. The guy beside me at tonights gig was going absolutely nuts and seemed like he was enjoying it.

DominoDub wrote: »
    claw1.jpg

stage1.jpg

Wow the pitch is pretty sparse .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

F*ck slane that was 40ty times better stage wise band wise
    support acts much dissapointed in damo tbh

u2 on at abt 8:50 off 11:03 not bad gr8 setlist

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

Sorry if I haven't attached these right, never done it before! Hopefully they'll just appear as a link.

Anyway here are 4 from tonight for your enjoyment. I took over 180 :eek:

from a couple of pics I saw there was tonnes of space on the pitch ????
    cant be right can it ? stage and setup looked class though........

QuadLeo - having the biggest setup doesnt necessarily set standards in Entertainment.......I'll see tomorrow :-)

Wow the pitch is pretty sparse .

I said that to someone and they said the pitch is nearly always half empty at concerts in Croker. They're not allowed to fill it due to the 'aul health and safety!

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7857.jpg

IMG_7919.jpg

IMG_7931.jpg

Sorry if I haven't attached these right, never done it before! Hopefully they'll just appear as a link.

Anyway here are 4 from tonight for your enjoyment. I took over 180 :eek:

thanks for sharing - love the first one....

• Advertisement

I said that to someone and they said the pitch is nearly always half empty at concerts in Croker. They're not allowed to fill it due to the 'aul health and safety!

I'd always expect there to be plenty of space on a pitch - but that seems to be more than normal......

Advertisement