Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

bungler wrote: »
    will security allow us onto the pitch ?

NO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll take it on board.

You should learn to accept the fact that other people opinions are just as valid as yours. You'll become a better person for it.

Thanks ill take it on board :)

Seriously though im not trying to piss anyone off, if i did i apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It is quite normal to have a lot of space. They are not going to go close to filling a pitch for a concert

yeah the never fill the pitch at croker, the 3 stands (hogan, cusack and canal end) hold 70k by themselves so that suggests that there was only 10k tickets sold for the pitch, maybe 15k tops given that part of the cusack was covered due to the sound stage blocking the view, would be crazy to fill the pitch as most people have access to only one of two exits

the pitch at croker is 145 metres X 88 metres, camp nou, wembley and old trafford pitches are all only 105m X 68m

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dowlinj

Dcully wrote: »
    LOL personally? get a grip will ya.
    Im just disagreeing with you about the volume for a start and quality secondly.
    However since i cant fairly comment on quality from your seating position its best i dont anymore :) but i fully disagree with you on the volume issue.
    As i said i found it louder than the DC in punchestown as did the people i went to both gigs with.

No, you're telling me I'm wrong when you can't give an opinion on what I experienced. As you say yourself, you can't comment on my seating position, you can only offer an opinion on your own. As Blutetonic said, try to accept other people's opinions and don't be such a smart arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

dowlinj wrote: »
    No, you're telling me I'm wrong when you can't give an opinion on what I experienced. As you say yourself, you can't comment on my seating position, you can only offer an opinion on your own. As Blutetonic said, try to accept other people's opinions and don't be such a smart arse.

did you find it easy to move? where did you move to?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah the never fill the pitch at croker,

U2 pulled off a great show despite Croker being the impossibly dreadful venue that it is.

Too much is made of home town nostalgia hype.
    The simple fact is that music setlist won the day as it bettered all that went before it.

In other proper complete stadiums, the pitch is full of fans and the show happens in the round.
    This provides a much better spectacle.
    no contest.

bungler wrote: »
    did you find it easy to move? where did you move to?

Yeah, as I said in a previous post, just walked through security and on to the pitch. They weren't looking too closely at tickets. You'll get on to the pitch if you try.

Pal wrote: »
    U2 pulled off a great show despite Croker being the impossibly dreadful venue that it is.

Too much is made of home town nostalgia hype.
    The simple fact is that music setlist won the day as it bettered all that went before it.

In other proper complete stadiums, the pitch is full of fans and the show happens in the round.
    This provides a much better spectacle.
    no contest.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

whats the likelihood of getting standing tickets at a cheap price tonight?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    whats the likelihood of getting standing tickets at a cheap price tonight?!
    Friend just texted me saying he just bought two standing tickets outside the ground for 20 euro. Asked me if i wanted to go but TBH i went last night and it was'nt great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Enough of the handbags guys. The tit for tat remarks are ruining the thread. Have some courtesy when replying from here on, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Friend just texted me saying he just bought two standing tickets outside the ground for 20 euro. Asked me if i wanted to go but TBH i went last night and it was'nt great.

I had trouble finding cheap tickets tonight, way less available than last night. Needed 3 and couldn't get them cheap enough so left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

8-10 wrote: »
    I had trouble finding cheap tickets tonight, way less available than last night. Needed 3 and couldn't get them cheap enough so left it.

Too many probably heard of cheap tickets. Also it was good weather, many might have headed out last minute. Monday will probably see cheap ones again, since people will have work the next day there are less likely to be people heading in on the off chance. If people didn't get them tonight they can just head to town drinking, no big deal. A monday night is a different story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what the story with the screen does it split apart in to a grid?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Are you finished now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just home from the most amazing gig I've ever been to, I can't understand how other's didn't enjoy themselves.

I can't put it into words just how fantastic I thought it was.

At times I cheered & at time's I almost cried with emotion (the girl next to me was, and wasn't the only one I seen either) and never once was I bored or unimpressed.

If anyone can get a ticket for Monday night grab it, its a wonderful gig.

Feck the begrudgers, its a brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Only so so tonight for me, to be honest, although the standard for U2 is set very high, before anyone thinks this is a hatchet job on the gig. Not as good as Popmart or Vertigo gigs. Short too. They were done and dusted by 11pm. Was a good show, just not really really rocking like previous U2 shows.

I think this version of 'where the streets..' and 'One' were just lacking a certain get up and go about them, compared to other versions on the other tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

The sound was poor where I was sitting...end of story. That's the reason I moved. I never said it was poor from every seat. Volume's a fairly essential element at a rock concert, especially when you're sitting at the back.

The sound was pretty dodgy for the first 3 or 4 numbers on friday night. We were gonna try to move but we stayed put. It cleaned up a lot after about 15 mins. It also got gradually louder as the night went on. It was a decent sound for such a massive venue. It's very hard to cover every seat in the house, nearly impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

8-10 wrote: »

It was hard. Evenutally managed to get two Upper Cusack for €60 but the seats were ****e.
    Went down about 40 miutes in and spotted a couple leaving very early and got their tickets off them for the pitch.
    Sweet.
    €30 blips for a GA on Saturday night...not bad at all.
    The gig was very good. Good stuff with the connection to the space station and the Chilean bird who got up on stage...
    Apparently much better than Friday.
    Looking forward to Mondays gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 billyfink

Was very disappointed by the gig tonight to be honest. They were much better 4 years ago. Stage is a joke, loads of empty spaces around, it wasn't even 270 degrees more like 180!!! And to finish up at 10.40 and then give an "encore" for 20 minutes is just insulting to their fans who pay for a standard 2 hour set and hopefully get the extra few songs as an encore. The standard of music was alright and the biggest plus side to the night at least bono didn't preach as much as he usually does. Thought it was kinda funny when they had bishop tutu on and then they played one!!!!..........(two two) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

billyfink wrote: »
    Was very disappointed by the gig tonight to be honest. They were much better 4 years ago. Stage is a joke, loads of empty spaces around, it wasn't even 270 degrees more like 180!!! And to finish up at 10.40 and then give an "encore" for 20 minutes is just insulting to their fans who pay for a standard 2 hour set and hopefully get the extra few songs as an encore. The standard of music was alright and the biggest plus side to the night at least bono didn't preach as much as he usually does. Thought it was kinda funny when they had bishop tutu on and then they played one!!!!..........(two two) :P

there is a standard two hour set at concerts?? news to me

dublin city council have a strict curfew that outdoor concerts must finish by 11pm, otherwise U2 were looking at an €80,000 fine for overrun

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

billyfink wrote: »

didnt they not play streets after Tutu ?
    But anyway tonight was just as awesome as last night imo. Good mix up of the set from last night. Not as rocking but it was cool to hear in a little while and mysterious ways. got on the pitch and was real close to the band. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

i never really liked u2 cept for their hits but heard great things bout them, went tonight and republic of loose were good, kiser chiefs were brillant and u2 jus blew me away... just wasnt expecting it!!!!! i had a great buzz for them to start then the first two songs they played threw me off the buzz then from there on i was jus amazed!!!!! i liked it so much im contimplatin monday???

and one question, the song where its a pre record of their faces in a black backround and they bob in ad out, any one know the name of that?? that song was just brillant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

didnt they not play streets after Tutu ?

Yep, then one

• Registered Users Posts: 20 billyfink

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is a standard two hour set at concerts?? news to me

dublin city council have a strict curfew that outdoor concerts must finish by 11pm, otherwise U2 were looking at an €80,000 fine for overrun

Well seens that (face value) tickets weren't the cheapest, I would have expected a 2 hour set at least with an encore after that.

As for DCC having a curfew and U2 looking at an €80k fine, somehow I'd say they'd be able to afford it!!!!

Sorry, should have said that one wasn't played straight after tutu as Zamboni pointed out, cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

PCPhoto wrote: »
    nearest luas is connolly station (and thats 15-20min walk away from Croker)

there are busses that will go from Connolly up around the drumcondra area (less than 5mins walk to Croker)

PS. Anyone going to Croker for U2 that wants to have their pic taken for the national papers - I'll be doing some fans Fri, Sat and Monday evenings if anyone wants to have their mug on the paper.

will email some pics from the gig as a thank you.

the offer is still open to people going to the monday gig - will check my PMs and respond giving my mobile so people can arrange a meeting point and meeting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

At last nights gig and was just ok IMHO.

Songs just didn’t seem to gel together, crowd (Upper Cusack) were talking a lot and at times had more interest in starting a Mexican Wave. Something was missing but I can’t put my finger on it. 4 of us in total at the gig and all felt the same. I wouldn’t go see them Monday again and that says a lot considering I have been a fan of U2 since a nipper.

Vertigo was a much better gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

sat night, very impressive show, stage worked well, bono seems to be minding his voice,

if you lke the space station you will like the way they include it,

they can give a punter a good night out...

got a 91e ticket for 50e at 8:10pm..

there were not many

loved david bowie space oddity over a million euros of speaker system:)

so many plastered people...did not like they way one steward was with one lady..after all if you sell the booze live with the consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bcirl03 wrote: »
    At last nights gig and was just ok IMHO.

Songs just didn’t seem to gel together, crowd (Upper Cusack) were talking a lot and at times had more interest in starting a Mexican Wave.

Thats called 'Having the craic'.

Tbh, I think some people in this thread occupied themselves more with compiling a critque for boards.ie then immersing themselves in a fantastic, brilliant gig.

I was in the upper Cusack too, (714 & right in the middle of the Mexican wave).

After last night I'm on the hunt for a ticket for myself & my son for Monday now, he wasn't there last night & I'd love to share the experience with him now.

u2d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

and one question, the song where its a pre record of their faces in a black backround and they bob in ad out, any one know the name of that?? that song was just brillant!!!

That was a remix of "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" ...and I agree it's absolutely magestic! The standard version is being released as their next single in 3 weeks - I'm sure the remix will be on there too.

We were in the pit Fri/Sat and will be again Monday, and I have to say it's an incredible show. We couldn't have picked our spot better last night - so much action around us. I was so tempted to grab that bridge and climb on every time it swung over us:D

Agree with someone who saids "Streets" has lost a bit of it's magic on this tour...it's my favourite live song but they're using it now in their 'politiical' slot of the show and pacing wise it just doesn't sit right with me in that part of the show. "Streets" should be always like it was in Slane..when presented right their is no better tune to get the crowd going manic.

Advertisement