Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

sick as a dog i missed my favoruite band, Republic Of Loose, literally as we walked in the gates i heard Mick Pyro say we've been Republic Of Loose thank you! so that really annoyed me as i swapped tickets from monday night for that exact reason, see my 2 Fav bands in one place, one night.

But i got over it when U2 came on :D

They were amazing, defo in my top 3 gigs ever,Pet Shop Boys at Oxegen is sharing no.1 with U2 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

The Bewleys at Dublin Airport were doing cheap deals which included transport to/from Croke Park and I think that there are still rooms available for Monday night.

We were there last night. I agree the Kaiser Chiefs rocked but we were a bit disappointed with The Loose as we would be fans but felt they were missing something. We were lucky enough to have redzone tickets and we were let into the inner circle. There was a great buzz in there; did anyone notice there wasn't so many Irish in the inner circle?

Second the comments on merchandise; if you want them get them beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

U2 were on top form, but i certainly wouldn't say best gig of my life. They give good value for money, no doubt.
    Did anyone notice Larry Mullen (sat night) he looked like he just got out of bed after an all night session on the beer !

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

With buyin tickets from touts, is there the risk that they could be fake?? as in are you etter spending the extra on ticketmaster??? cause after yesterday i wanna go again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Hard Shaw

mad dave wrote: »
    wow sierra, it's just that babs is breastfed and my wife hasn't ever left her before. She knows it's not exactly a good place to be for a baby, she's just really worried about leaving her at home though.
    Your wife needs to get a pyschologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

wow sierra, it's just that babs is breastfed and my wife hasn't ever left her before. She knows it's not exactly a good place to be for a baby, she's just really worried about leaving her at home though.

Honestly, the seating area is a little tight and if junior decides to add his voice to the night your not going to be the most popular person sitting in the block!.

If you had pitch tickets I'd say without a doubt bring the baby, but tbh for seating I'd leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

to be honest dave - you guys really shouldnt even be comtemplating bringing a 9 month old to an event like this - for so many reasons.........

this may not be advice you want to hear - but what I'd personally do would be to either take the hit myself and tell the missus to call a mate and give your ticket to the friend, or b let her do the same for you, if she is really that worried about leaving the baby at home with a babysitter she won't be anymore comfortable worrying about the child while in such a large crowd at a noisy (and possibly messy venue)......
    just bad timing I guess.........hope it works out for you either way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Hi guys, what's the story with getting into the pit? What time would I need to start queuing at tomorrow? Do you get wristbands once in?

thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 P.Collina

Hard Shaw wrote: »
    Your wife needs to get a pyschologist.

The kid will need lots of them.

She needs to grow up.

• Advertisement

yeah it's easy to see which people don't have kids themselves and if they do, they obviously don't care about them. grow up yourselves. There's nothing wrong with a mother worrying how her baby gets along without her. If you read back I was only asking if someone has any tips to convince her that baby will be fine with the sitter (my mother) and obviously I mean NORMAL tips, stupid remarks are no use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

my wife is wondering if we should bring our 9 month old tomorrow night as she won't settle for babysitter and we'd be gone for 6 hours. I told her baby will just be roaring crying with the noise, but she's still worried. She wants to bring her in a sling. We have seated tickets in 704. Anyone have any suggestions or help to talk her out of it?

Bring a 9 month old to a rock concert? Why would someone even consider it. Besides if the baby has no ticket the baby wont get in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yeah it's easy to see which people don't have kids themselves and if they do, they obviously don't care about them. grow up yourselves. There's nothing wrong with a mother worrying how her baby gets along without her. If you read back I was only asking if someone has any tips to convince her that baby will be fine with the sitter (my mother) and obviously I mean NORMAL tips, stupid remarks are no use.

I understand your problem. But form that post, it's better suited asking in a different forum.

Imo, the baby should not be brought. Why? Again in my opinion i don't think it's fair on the child, it will have no idea what the fu ck is going on and if it does start crying (which is fine, baby's cry) you should consider the other people that have payed to listen to u2, not a screaming child.

None of this is personally directed at your family. I would suggest either getting a babysitter or not going if your wife won't do that.

thanks lordgoat. I agree. Have talked it through and she's going to give it a try. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Mad Dave,
    If she's still breastfeeding and has never left her, then she's right not to try for the first time on Monday night. Neither of you would enjoy a minute of it.

Two options.... One of you stays at home, or get the baby some Ear Defenders, not so easy to get at short notice but these might have some and they're in Dublin. (No Connection)

http://fairlytraded.ie/Ear%20Protection%20Wipes%20Cases.html

My 2 year old slept at the back of MBV at Electric Picnic with a pair on.
    If she's in a sling and you've seats and are happy that Bono isn't hurting her ears you'll all enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Actually there were a good few small children there last night along with a couple of babies. We did consider bringing our LO but decided that it would be a much nicer treat for us to get someone to babysit. The lie on this morning was tremendous. LOL

If we had brought the baby we would have put him in a sling or carrier but certainly wouldn't have brought him in the pit with us. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be happy out with a pair of ear defenders on.

WRT the person who suggested that if a baby doesn't have a ticket they wouldn't be let in - I understand that for gigs and transport purposes children under the age of 2 aren't considered as a fare or a charge.

My sympathies are with your OH, I understand very well the pull of not wanting to leave a breastfed child for a long period of time. I'd suggest though that if the child is only being left for a couple of hours she might reconsider it. My biggest regret with my LO (10 months) is that I didn't arrange for a babysitter sooner. Last night was the first time I left him overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 P.Collina

I do feel sorry for their predicament.

Nevertheless, a baby-child does not belong at a rock concert where people will be drinking and possibly doing drugs. I mean for instance, is there even a baby changing facility at Croke Park? I've never seen one.

What if the child became ill? There will be a emergency medical centre, but will a paediatrician be available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 tayto2009

how do you get into the pit???

Hi this is the other half of dave posting under his name. I appreciate the people thinking along with us, very nice of you. I like the ear defenders, wish I had seen them earlier, not sure if I can get them before tomorrow night though. If not I'll have to leave her with mother in law, who's over minding our older kids. It's just that she doesn't take well to her and has started making strange as well, 9 months is a difficult age to leave a baby with someone else. Good to hear there were a good few babies there last night. I would never consider bringing her if we had standing tickets, too dangerous with the crowd going wild. But was thinking with seated it would be safe enough, she'd be in a sling. We're only going to U2 and skipping the support acts, so hope she'll survive the 6 hours or so that we will be gone without me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hi this is the other half of dave posting under his name. I appreciate the people thinking along with us, very nice of you. I like the ear defenders, wish I had seen them earlier, not sure if I can get them before tomorrow night though. If not I'll have to leave her with mother in law, who's over minding our older kids. It's just that she doesn't take well to her and has started making strange as well, 9 months is a difficult age to leave a baby with someone else. Good to hear there were a good few babies there last night. I would never consider bringing her if we had standing tickets, too dangerous with the crowd going wild. But was thinking with seated it would be safe enough, she'd be in a sling. We're only going to U2 and skipping the support acts, so hope she'll survive the 6 hours or so that we will be gone without me.

Did you buy a ticket for your baby?

• Advertisement

no I didn't actually, I'd better ring them tomorrow to double check. That is if I decide to bring her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

P.Collina wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for their predicament.

Nevertheless, a baby-child does not belong at a rock concert where people will be drinking and possibly doing drugs. I mean for instance, is there even a baby changing facility at Croke Park? I've never seen one.

What if the child became ill? There will be a emergency medical centre, but will a paediatrician be available?

I also a little uneasy with bringing a baby to a rock gig.

However, the presence of a paediatrician is being a little silly. You are closer to a paediatrician in Croke Park than you would be living in about 95% of the rest of the country!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

any tips for getting near the outter circle? i.e what time to get there at? What entrance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Im a parent and would consider bringing a 5 year old.

But a Baby. with all due respect to poster, it could be a dangerous situation for an infant. A surging crowd could spell disaster .

pay a sitter. have a few beers and enjoy yourself. A baby would be happy at home in a calm environment.

Speaking from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

. I would never consider bringing her if we had standing tickets, too dangerous with the crowd going wild.

To be honest, I wouldn't say seating is safer than standing. For a start you are squashed in among the crowd aswell, have to stand evertime someone passes and could get caught up in semi Mexican waves ;) or euphoric drunken audience swaying. Whereas if you are standing, there is plenty of space at the back to feel comfortable in.
    Personally I think you should leave the baby with the in-law for a few hours and go out and enjoy yourselves. I am sure it's been a while since you have done anything together as a couple :D

There is a good forum here on parenting. Perhaps you would like to hear from other parents about what to do...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kuku

what song do they play?can i excpect some old stuff or just new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Great gig last night, not too familiar with their new stuff but Where The Streets Have No Name was amazing.

WindSock wrote: »
    I am sure it's been a while since you have done anything together as a couple :D

There is a good forum here on parenting. Perhaps you would like to hear from other parents about what to do...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=251

true enough... I'll have a look there. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Thats called 'Having the craic'.

Tbh, I think some people in this thread occupied themselves more with compiling a critque for boards.ie then immersing themselves in a fantastic, brilliant gig.

I was in the upper Cusack too, (714 & right in the middle of the Mexican wave).

After last night I'm on the hunt for a ticket for myself & my son for Monday now, he wasn't there last night & I'd love to share the experience with him now.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed the gig and immersed myself 100%, hence why I gave my open, honest and personal opinion.

Mexican Waves are a sign that people are bored of what the main event is. If U2 were so good people wouldn’t have immersed themselves in the Mexican Wave but instead watched the gig itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 terrydub

redman85 wrote: »
    any tips for getting near the outter circle? i.e what time to get there at? What entrance?

We got there at about 6.15 and were about 10 feet from the outter circle,enjoy

Advertisement