Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Can anyone confirm if Bell X1 are the first or second Support Band tonight?

Originally this thread said they were the second band ( as quoted from MCD I think? ) but apparently on Friday the bands were swapped? Were the support bands swapped on Saturday too?

Thanks!

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

jasonb wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Bell X1 are the first or second Support Band tonight?

Originally this thread said they were the second band ( as quoted from MCD I think? ) but apparently on Friday the bands were swapped? Were the support bands swapped on Saturday too?

Thanks!

J.

Yeah the bands were swapped around on both friday and saturday (as per mcd's satge times).
    So i'd reckon Bell x1 will be on first tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I really enjoyed the gig. Myself and a friend queued up at 11am to ensure we got into the pit. The atmosphere was superb, as was the sound. If you can get into the pit this evening, and don't mind the pain of queueing for 4 or 5 hours, it is well worth the effort.

I have seen every U2 tour since the Joshua Tree tour in 1987 and I always enjoy their shows. I think each tour differs significantly from the previous one. I paid roughly 60 euro for a standing ticket which I feel is excellent value for money - considering I saw two support acts plus U2 on what is one of the most visually arresting stages I have ever witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

kennyu272 wrote: »
    Yeah the bands were swapped around on both friday and saturday (as per mcd's satge times).
    So i'd reckon Bell x1 will be on first tonight.

Thanks! You'd think MCD could get that right?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

Was on the pitch Saturday night. Thought the gig was amazing. Felt the new songs sounded great live. Unknown Caller was great and even if ya didnt know it the karaoke words worked great. Had a great time but we were right down in the crowd where the atmosphere was electric which always helps! Pics attached.

Cool, you were right behind me! That my head in your pic, and my mate!
    Loved the concert, had a great night. thought the set list could have been a bit better but being picky..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

dont understand why bell x1 are first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Dcully wrote: »
    LOL at this.
    Just to correct you the bands stage not just "his" cost 100M each and there are 2 more stages on the road being constructed/dismantled/moved as we speak.
    Just thought id share the piece of info with ya :P

Well that makes it better a €100 million wasted on stages and this jumped up tool lectures me on charity at a gig im paying for.

Bravo

Rob_l wrote: »
    Well that makes it better a €100 million wasted on stages and this jumped up tool lectures me on charity at a gig im paying for.

Bravo

yeh damn them, trying to entertain their fans who pay to keep Bono in the position where he can actually make a difference. whens the last time you gave up your time for charity?

yeh damn them, trying to entertain their fans who pay to keep Bono in the position where he can actually make a difference. whens the last time you gave up your time for charity?

Now hold on a minute what has me doing charity work got to do with bono entertaining a crowd.

What i do or dont do with my personal time and money is my concern not yours not boards and certainly nothing to do with bono.

However when I pay to recieve entertainment I do not expect to get a lecture on how to be a better more giving person if I wanted that I would have attended a better person through charitable work seminar.

• Advertisement

you know what you;re gonna get with U2, dont go if it's gonna piss you off!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

You're readng my mind!!:)

Oh it didn't piss me off, I know bono is an egotictical tool with nothing better to do than lecture from the safety of his ivory tower and my tickets were free so I really wasn't all that concerned, but seeing as this here place where i be posting this here message is a discussion board for discussing things I thought I might discuss my own thoughts on that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭poss

Scien wrote: »
    How are Croker Security for bringing in a few cans in a backpack?
    Heading along tonight.
    I was in the Hogan upper Tier on Saturday night, and i'll be honest the security checks before we entered the stadium about 7:45 were virtually non-existent.

Myself and my mate had our tickets checked a couple of times but that was it.

You could well get away with smuggling in a few cans, there was a guy with his girlfriend two seats away from me who was taping the gig on his camcorder!..:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Oh it didn't piss me off, I know bono is an egotictical tool with nothing better to do than lecture from the safety of his ivory tower and my tickets were free so I really wasn't all that concerned, but seeing as this here place where i be posting this here message is a discussion board for discussing things I thought I might discuss my own thoughts on that issue.

Free or not, i know i wouldnt be stupid enough to go see a performer if i hated them with a passion.
    Talk about walking yourself in it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

googlefan wrote: »
    3) The original Bloody Sunday happened in Croke Park. When the song was played there was some Islamic stuff up on screen. Not impressed.

I agree with most of your points except this one.
    The song has got nothing to do with the events in Croke Park in 1920 bar the title.
    The song itself is frustration of endless war and currently having Islamic writing, bloodshed etc is quite appropriate same as it was when it was in relation to Northern Ireland in 1972.

Free or not, i know i wouldnt be stupid enough to go see a performer if i hated them with a passion.
    Talk about walking yourself in it :rolleyes:

I have never said I hate U2 with a passion, so thats some good detective work you done there Lou.

So I'll meet your rolleyes and raise you one :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kingdiarmuid

I was thinking of going along to Croker after work. What are the chances of getting two tickets below face value? I heard you could not give them away on Friday.
    Also what time does it start and what time do U2 come on?
    I won't be in till half 8.

I was thinking of going along to Croker after work. What are the chances of getting two tickets below face value? I heard you could not give them away on Friday.

If its like saturday u2 come on about 9 and finish at 11:15

8.50 or there abouts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

U2 are on stage at 9.

If you get up there at that stage and there are tickets about you will get them very cheap. However I doubt there'd be many tickets left at that time.

I have never said I hate U2 with a passion, so thats some good detective work you done there Lou

allow me to quote you :)

"I know bono is an egotictical tool with nothing better to do than lecture from the safety of his ivory tower"

So after that are you really telling me you dont hate him?

Bono is one of the performers i was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭budgemook

who were the support acts?

Now now I was already told on this here thread that it was a band that was a performing and not an individual so I will tell you the same thing.

Very similiar to when I go a football match i may not personally like every player on the team i support but i do like the team.

I like enough of U2's music for their gig to be entertaining to me whcih is what i paid my money(well i didn't but i had a ticket that was paid for) to see I wasn't complaining about that what i was complaining about was Bono's lectures.

And yes as a poster said you know what to expect when you see bono and yes he\she was right I do indeed know, but just becasue I know or am aware of somethign doesn't mean I have to like it and as I said this is a discussion forum for discussing things so I think I am in the right place to discuss my opinion on what happened at this gig.

When people try to shoot me down with things like you know what to expect that isn't really an answer or even worth posting, yes i do know but only by people rasining issues that concern them do these things get dealt with so on a discussion forum like this i feel my opinion as someone who attended the gig is as valid as yours who will hear no bad word said of a mere mortal like bono.

allow me to quote you :)

"I know bono is an egotictical tool with nothing better to do than lecture from the safety of his ivory tower"

So after that are you really telling me you dont hate him?

Bono is one of the performers i was referring to.

Allow me to quote you sir oh i did!

where does that say I hate U2?

That is my personal opinion of bono nothing to do with U2 and their music I have already in my previous post dealt with the duality in peoples opinions on individuals and the groups\teams they play\perform with.

In response to your last 2 posts.
    Fair enough i assumed you hated the band as a whole, which your entitled to.
    I was questioning you attending the gig as a u2 hater which i was obviously wrong to do so i apologise for taking you up the wrong way.

Any free tickets for tonight by the way ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭evolutionix

Hi
    Anybody know where I would get 3 standing ticks for tonight please
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bravo

Ok, firstly, he didn't lecture! He asked people to join the One campaign. It is the cost of a standard SMS. What is the problem with that? The One campaign is about getting the public to help persuade world leaders to fight poverty and Aids. A noble charity. It doesn't ask for public contribution!

Anyone who knows U2 songs knows that they are politically-inspired, and if Bono introduces a song or dedicates it, he is simply carrying the message and re-igniting the inspiration behind those songs.

He also showed solidarity with the Burmese leader and asked anyone who had her mask, to put it on. No charitable donation asked for there!

Secondly, you didn't even pay for the ticket, so stop trying to fuel your argument with lies! You were at a brilliant concert for free and found something to give out about. It's a great pity that ticket didn't go to someone more appreciative :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

I am assuming all these people looking for tickets have been on Saturday or Friday night and now want to go again? Just curious as this gig was not sold out up until the weekend and lots of tickets were being advertised at every ticketmaster booth around the country:confused:

If so I don't blame them the gig Saturday was fantastic and for €60 the best value concert for me this year to boot:pac:

• Advertisement

gscully wrote: »

Secondly, you didn't even pay for the ticket, so stop trying to fuel your argument with lies! You were at a brilliant concert for free and found something to give out about. It's a great pity that ticket didn't go to someone more appreciative :(

Wheter I paid for my ticket or not is irrelavant the ticket was a paid for ticket.
    I have never claimed i personally paid for my ticket so to accuse me of lies is demaning only to you and no bearing on me.
    And finally I, as a consumer am allowed to feel however I wish about something and your opinion of me is irrelevant in this matter on wheter i was deserving or not of having a ticket, it is this type of attitude that i find so galling I have not tried to deman any other indiviual who has not already put themselves in the public eye. So while you are lecturing me on my attitude perhaps you should take a moment yourself and consider the real message of charity which is fairness and equality for all before attempting to attack me for nothing other than having an opinion.

Perhaps you should also consider WWBD

Advertisement