Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

Was at the concert on Friday was on the pitch near the outer circle and it was totally amazing money well spent. Enjoyed Damein Dempsey although glas vesgas were a bit of a let down. But when U2 came on they were just amazing couldnt reccomend it enough. Anyone going tonight is going to have a brillant experience. I found the new stuff brillant. Wasnt the biggest boots but live its totally amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davekdk

I went to U2 in Croke Park on Friday night and was allocated 4 seats at the back of the lower hogan stand, right underneath the upper hogan stand. As a result, I couldnt see the whole stage and the sound quality was very poor.
    There were just three more rows of seats behind me, all of which were vacant. I was in row SS, and they only go up to WW.
    At 137.50 each (incl booking fee) I think it was a bit wrong to allocate these seats.
    A few rows down at the stairwell the view and sound was great, only couldnt stay here too long as kept getting pushed back up to my seat.

Anyone else have similar seats? What did you think?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kingdiarmuid

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    U2 are on stage at 9.

If you get up there at that stage and there are tickets about you will get them very cheap. However I doubt there'd be many tickets left at that time.

Right, I think I will head up at half 7 -8 and see what is available.

The only problem is I will need two tickets side by side.
    Is there anyway around this, apart from standing tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 erice

does anybody have any thoughts on bono telling the crowd to shut up after Pride in croker on fri

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The only problem is I will need two tickets side by side.
    Is there anyway around this, apart from standing tickets?
    YOu just have to ask, and check the tickets. Most people buy seated ones in pairs and will sell as a pair. Touts know people want to sit together and will rarely give a good price on single seated tickets as they are so hard to shift.

If they are beside each other the tickets would usually still be attached to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Rob_l wrote: »
    I agree with most of these points. The pontificating was an absolute insult on average most of the crowd had paid €100 to see him, his stage alone cost €50 million and this overpaid egotist takes this opportunity which we the public are paying for to lecture us on giving to charity. Disgrace
    Well that makes it better a €100 million wasted on stages and this jumped up tool lectures me on charity at a gig im paying for.

Bravo
    However when I pay to recieve entertainment I do not expect to get a lecture on how to be a better more giving person if I wanted that I would have attended a better person through charitable work seminar.
    I have never claimed i personally paid for my ticket so to accuse me of lies is demaning only to you and no bearing on me.

I stand corrected...obviously :rolleyes:
    And finally I, as a consumer am allowed to feel however I wish about something and your opinion of me is irrelevant in this matter on wheter i was deserving or not of having a ticket, it is this type of attitude that i find so galling I have not tried to deman any other indiviual who has not already put themselves in the public eye. So while you are lecturing me on my attitude perhaps you should take a moment yourself and consider the real message of charity which is fairness and equality for all before attempting to attack me for nothing other than having an opinion.

Perhaps you should also consider WWBD

I have no opinion of you whatsoever! I just stated that it's a pity your ticket didn't go to someone who would appreciate it more. Everyone has an opinion and they are all entitled to it. Bono is also well within his rights to speak out about world issues. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone else in the crowd doesn't. Count yourself lucky you weren't at the Vertigo tour in 2005 when he really was pushing the message across with every bloody song! All he did on Saturday night was ask people to sign up to the One campaign. He didn't ask for money. Hardly pontifficating, is it?

I came away from the concert thankful that it wasn't a political concert. Apart from the message within the songs, that was it... In fact, Bono joked about how they would top themselves tonight and make some people happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭poss

davekdk wrote: »
    I went to U2 in Croke Park on Friday night and was allocated 4 seats at the back of the lower hogan stand, right underneath the upper hogan stand. As a result, I couldnt see the whole stage and the sound quality was very poor.

Anyone else have similar seats? What did you think?

Cheers.
    The sound quality was very poor? I'd have to seriously disagree with you there. As i've already said i was in the Hogan Stand Upper on Saturday night and the sound was excellent.

Some of my mates were in the lower Hogan where you were on Friday, and they loved the gig, they also thought the sound was top class.

The stage is huge, so you probably weren't going to the see whole thing for that reason alone, as regards to your position in the stadium. Self-explanatory really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

gscully wrote: »
    I have no opinion of you whatsoever! I just stated that it's a pity your ticket didn't go to someone who would appreciate it more.

This is an opinion of me, you who does not know me has adjudged me undeserving, Im sorry but if that is not a personal opinion of another person then Im not really sure what it is.

So my paid for tickets are what worthless, as I did not personnally pay for them?

So by that logic someone who recieved tickets as a gift has no avenue for complaint?

I am not the only person who believes bono was pontificating so in that sense my opinion is justified in believing that is what he did, should you choose to believe otherwise then that is your opinion and no more or less valid than mine, but no wait it is as my tickets were valueless :rolleyes: and because i dont speak of bono as if he was some second coming of christ or the spirit of Buddha reborn I am wrong.

poss wrote: »
    The sound quality was very poor? I'd have to seriously disagree with you there. As i've already said i was in the Hogan Stand Upper on Saturday night and the sound was excellent.

Some of my mates were in the lower Hogan where you were on Friday, and they loved the gig, they also thought the sound was top class.

The stage is huge, so you probably weren't going to the see whole thing for that reason alone, as regards to your position in the stadium. Self-explanatory really.

I think the poster was refering to not being able to see the full height of the stage as the stand restricted his view as oppossed to seeing the whole stage at once. So i think they are right to feel a little aggrieved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭poss

I think the poster was refering to not being able to see the full height of the stage as the stand restricted his view as oppossed to seeing the whole stage at once. So i think they are right to feel a little aggrieved
    With respect, i'm not debating his right to feel a little aggrieved.

But when you look at where he was seated, that was always going to be the case due to a combination of where he was, the Hogan stand itself, and the size of the claw stage.

• Advertisement

This is an opinion of me, you who does not know me has adjudged me undeserving, Im sorry but if that is not a personal opinion of another person then Im not really sure what it is.

So my paid for tickets are what worthless, as I did not personnally pay for them?

So by that logic someone who recieved tickets as a gift has no avenue for complaint?

My opinion is of your attitude towards the concert, not of you. I don't know you. You could be the nicest guy on earth or a complete tool, but that's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm simple saying that the ticket would've been of better use to someone who would appreciate the concert more. As someone else mentioned, you know what to expect when you go to see U2.

I never said your tickets were worthless or that you had no right to complain. Look at my recent post where I said everyone is entitled to an opinion. I simply took you to task for saying in a couple of posts that you had paid for the right to be there and shouldn't have to put up with Bono's lectures. In fact, you hadn't paid for the tickets, but were using the suggestion that you had as a way of strengthening your point. I'm not arguing that as a ticket-holder, you hadn't every right to be there and every right to criticise!

gscully wrote: »
    I'm simple saying that the ticket would've been of better use to someone who would appreciate the concert more.

I'm not arguing that as a ticket-holder, you hadn't every right to be there and every right to criticise!

Those statements dont really work that well together,

Someone more deserving should be there

Or i as a ticket holder should be there now which is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Was in the cusack right beside the stage Friday night & the view & sound was great (€90 odd tix), Saturday I was in the upper Davin (€30 odd tix) & it was a much better view & sound. Tinight I'm on the pitch... Bring. It. On. !!!

Those statements dont really work that well together,

Someone more deserving should be there

Or i as a ticket holder should be there now which is it?

Oh dear - taking two sentences from different paragraphs and contexts to make them look contradictory!

Anyone with a ticket has a right to be there. It doesn't mean that there isn't someone out there who would've enjoyed the concert more but didn't have a ticket. Simple enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

what time will Bell X1 be starting at?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

Quick question - do u have to have a ticket to get past the garda/security cordon? Do you reckon there'll be tix on sale at 8pm/8.30pm?

Oh and Bell X1 on at 6.30pm. Short 30 min set for them. Then Script at 7.30pm for 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

At the barrier at Gills on NCR there were bods in yellow bibs checking the tickets alright. I must say there was no crush or pushing either before or after the gig on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭secman

obviously not !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

Quick question - do u have to have a ticket to get past the garda/security cordon? Do you reckon there'll be tix on sale at 8pm/8.30pm?

Oh and Bell X1 on at 6.30pm. Short 30 min set for them. Then Script at 7.30pm for 45 mins

Dont worry you dont need a ticket to get down near Croke Park there all public roads. There were tickets going for €30 outside Quinns in Drumcondra at 8 on Saturday two friends got them.

The only thing I can think of is that at the end of Pride, the crowd were singing the 'Uh oh oh oh' part. then they stopped and the backing music to MLK started. Just as Bono started to sing, the crowd started singing the Pride snippet again. To me, they were ruining a beautiful song and I wanted them to shut up myself. If Bono did tell them, I didn't hear it as he was singing MLK. I do think he put a hand out in gesticulation though. If he did, he was dead right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 duignad

Am absolutely livid having arrived at Croke park to discover that after paying for the most expensive Priced tickets that we have a totally restricted view. Can see the bottom half of the stage - that's it. In the lower cusack at the back. Am I the only one who didn't know about this or is it too much to expect the concert promoters to display a warning at point of sale. Rip off Ireland is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mikaels

Hi all, something else I need to ask ... is it only me or there is an error on back prints on the grey t-shirts they produced for 360tour :

09/08 Stadium Maxsimir Zagreb
    10/08 Stadium Makimir Zagreb

Cheerio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Take plenty of pictures and bang them off to MCD with your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

wait til the video screen expands and comes down...

enjoy not seeing Larry or the Edge

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Next person to post something that is not about the gig and is a)some whingy argument or b) some remark about bono that is not related to the gig is getting a ban.

The last two pages of this thread are filled with petty arguments - take it to PM from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Was there on Friday,fantastic stuff altogether,was hoping to go tonight but its not looking good at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭davekdk

duignad wrote: »
    Am absolutely livid having arrived at Croke park to discover that after paying for the most expensive Priced tickets that we have a totally restricted view. Can see the bottom half of the stage - that's it. In the lower cusack at the back. Am I the only one who didn't know about this or is it too much to expect the concert promoters to display a warning at point of sale. Rip off Ireland is alive and well.

Completely agree with you...see my post back on previous page 47.
    Ive sent a letter to promoters 'Live Nation' and Ticketmaster...basically stating that these seats shouldnt have been allocated for this type of show. Think you will agree with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Some Islamic stuff?

That'd be the situation in Iran. Not a fan of Bonio's preaching, but if it draws attention to it, at least something good comes of it.

:) I thoroughly enjoyed U2 on Saturday at Croker. We had great seats for under 40 euro. High up, a great atmosphere, I was a bit confused by the Islamic images ( I am avoiding news lately too depressing) glad you enlightened me! I used to be more critical of Bono's preaching but I suppose at the end of the day he lives a dignified life, he is a better role model that most of his ilk. If I saw that crowd turn up I'd think I was God.However I am still waiting for " I have finally found what I am looking for." They have to be one of the best live acts in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Anyone know what time the gig finishes at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

Anyone know what time the gig finishes at?

Yep it has to finish at 11pm as there is a fine if they go over that time. At least it was 11 on Saturday so I presume the same tonight. Any good tonight?
    Enjoy.

Advertisement