Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Croke Park 2009 - all discussion, no ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pmacdot

I really enjoyed U2, note the positivity, as I was really fed up after Bruce in RDS. Apart from the fact that they were brilliant as always, Croke Park is also a great venue and people were not arsing back and forth to the bar. One guy passed us once and was apologetic, a different scene to the selfish alcoholics in RDS for Springsteen. I think U2 have still got it and I hope there are many more opportunities to see them live. The country needs some positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I really enjoyed Friday's gig, it was my first time seeing them having been a huge fan since I was about 10 (now 20) so I had no expectations really. Everyone just seemed in such good form after it. Money well spent, for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 James Jeans

There were no tickets going around outside the gig tonight before the show! Well I could'nt find any anyway:( I had to listen from outside....fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Just back from Croker. It was only fookin brilliant. The place was hopping, really good show. My first ever U2 concert and I was really impressed. The Claw is something else, fantastic gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Didn't think tonight's gig was a patch the Vertigo concert :(
    Sound wasn't great, couldn't hear Bono properly at all.First time I've gone to a gig and able to talk to my mate without shouting!
    Stage very impressive although I'd rather have a decent sound than all the props. Still, wasn't a bad night out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Just back from the gig myself, got into the pit and it was fooking amazing!! I was only about 10ft away from the band. Loved it, just loved it! I was at the Springsteen gig a few weeks ago and I really dont know which one was the best lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

Wow, just wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Went tonight and the missus got a great shot (at least I thought it was)

5217CED5AB5F4B1495FBCE353B8250AB-800.jpg

Just have to say poor bell x1 crowd just didn't properly arrive till later

Great show from all three bands though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Went on Fri and tonight, I was standing tonight, there was somethin in the air tonight that made this far greater than Fridays show! The crowd were more into it, the atomosphere seemed a little dead on Fri, the sound was fairly poor on Fri too compared to tonight!

Best song for me was Ultra Violet, amazing live! anyone know where I could download a live version?!

Regarding tickets, there wasn't 1 ticket available outside, mad really coz there loads of seats free, and the pitch was half full. Crowds and crowds of ppl looking for tickets, none to be got!

Great gig, so tempted to go to London now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Had a Brilliant night tonight,:D,stood outside Sat listenin and wishing i was inside but got great spot tonight few foot from the pit..Seeing as this forum is coming to an end ,,Which night was BEST for anyone who was at all 3 ??? (LUCKY B#*sTdz) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lilyrose

Got my tickets today on Toutless - very last minute but premium seats excellent view and great bar definitly worththe extra few pound .......
    Amazing concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

Which night was BEST for anyone who was at all 3 ??? (LUCKY B#*sTdz) :eek:

was at all 3 (yeah I'm nuts!) and i have to say I'd probably say Saturday for me was the best night of the 3, but the other 2 nights were brilliant too.

I'm a little dissappointed with the choice of closing song (Moment of Surrender). I like it as a song on its own but not as a closer for a gig. I originally hated the remix of "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" when I was listening to it online before the Croker gigs, cos I love the original of that song. But it's really grown on me to the point that I now love it....you cant but when your dancing around to it along with 80,000 people.

Overall........brilliant nights out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Anyone know where I could get a copy of the set list from last night ? I can't access U2.com from work, but anyon3 could post a link, or the set list, I'd be grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

TarfHead wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get a copy of the set list from last night ? I can't access U2.com from work, but anyon3 could post a link, or the set list, I'd be grateful.

here you go.....

http://www.u2setlists.com/360.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MDub

Saw the show last night, impressive stage but that was about the height of it for me. Bonos voice is gone, couldn't hear his vocals only when he was talking. What is the story with all the backing tracks used throughout the show. I've been to some amazing gigs this summer including Bruce Springsteen, AC DC, Neil Young. I guess its very hard to compare when you've acts like that to follow. For me the stage show at AC DC is the best I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Was at the gig last night, would give it 6/10. The performances of " I still haven't found " and " Where the streets have no name " were amazing, with the crowd going bezerk. The presentation of " You're crazy if you're not going crazy " was amazing and the thumping sound really got everyone dancing.

Too many average songs, and the closing one was a real disappointment. You could see everyone just waiting, not believing they'd end the show on it.

As for Bono..well he just spouts so much shoite. All this stuff about the " Irish Spirit " to get through things - how are your tax affairs affecting your morale mate :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

This was my 5th tour that I've seen U2 and went with a bit of a closed mind regarding this claw thing and so on but by the first strains of New Years Day it was back to the old U2 and they played a stormer. There was a cluster of songs from New Years Day right through to Streets that just worked absolutely perfectly.

The set list was excellent. Came on at 8.45 and played pretty much straight to 11.

As for the Claw although I was unsure about it, I have to saw it was incredible. The light show for the encore along with the moving/seperating big screen was just out of this world.

Crowd was excellent too. I was on the pitch. Everyone was well up for it. Good organisation by security too.

Fair play lads. Yis still got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Have to say I loved the show last night, my first time seeing them since Slane. We were in the Cusack Stand Upper, close enough to them to see the guys properly, but far enough away to also take in the whole spectacle!

Bell X1 were very good and The Script took their chance excellently, the crowd loved them. Larry came on at 8:50 and they left the stage at 11:00. As I've listened to No Line... quite a bit I enjoyed the new songs and didn't think the set suffered at all with 7 songs from the new album. Highlights for me were probably Stay, Unforgettable Fire, MLK and UltraViolet, mainly cos I like the songs a lot or hadn't really heard them played live before. The Set Design was amazing, loved how the whole Stadium would change depending on what lights were on the claw, and the screen was really impressive. And with all the high tech stuff, a simple Mirrorball with spotlights looked great too.

Didn't think Bono did too much preaching at all. He welcomed a lot of the people from around the world who were there and genuinely seemed delighted with the response from the crowd. I've never really had a problem with people like Bono taking the chance of having 80000 people in front of him to ask them to support good causes, and he definitely didn't shove it down anyones' throats.

I thought it would have been even better with a full 360 experience, not for me really, but for the band, and it would just have looked better without an empty section at the back. Also noticed that the bridges were still programmed to move back and forth, even though half the time they lead to a section of the stage where there were no people. But really it didn't detract from the gig at all.

One final note. I got the Luas at the Red Cow to Connolly and back again. I was stunned to see Connolly Station so organised after the gig! The staff there made sure there was an orderly queue, and they deliberately left some space on the Tram so people would be able to get on at Abbey St as well, where Staff had also organised the queue. Very well done I have to say...

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Was listening to it last night out the window, wished we could have gone again! That stage really is something else!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Was at friday night and monday night. Both brilliant for very different reasons!!! too much so to get into now but it was unreal. the atmosphere, the band, the music, the lights the show, Everything. if i wasnt off on holidays in a few weeks id be on the first plane to england/croatia/swede/scotland/wales....whereve i could get a too.

My 3rd and 4th time seeing them and defo the best ive seen em yet!!

Fantastic setlist for both nights i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

MDub wrote: »
    Saw the show last night, impressive stage but that was about the height of it for me. Bonos voice is gone, couldn't hear his vocals only when he was talking. What is the story with all the backing tracks used throughout the show. I've been to some amazing gigs this summer including Bruce Springsteen, AC DC, Neil Young. I guess its very hard to compare when you've acts like that to follow. For me the stage show at AC DC is the best I've ever seen.

Yeah...I was there on Saturday and really enjoyed it but couldn't work out how the edge was making such amazing wocka wocka sounds with his guitar with no pedals ?????
    I assumed the technician was doing it with a computer or summit....

I really hope it wasn't a backing track :(

I didn't think there was much camaraderie between the lads though....especially Larry, I know he's a pretty dour guy at the best of times but he didn't raise a smile once all night.....

Stage was alright.....not sure what all the fuss is about really.....
    I couldn't see the edge for most of the night and thought the solitary random walks around were pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭D-Boy

Went last night massively disappointed they played about 5 decent songs a lot were from the last 3 albums which were a bit rubbish.
    Love to have heard Acrobat,Wild Horses,Gone etc,was at Slane in 2001 and the list was much better.
    One U2 fanatic massively disapppointed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭jasonb

Sorry to hear you were disappointed, I'd hate to spend money and have that much build up and then not enjoy it.

I guess it comes down to taste and which songs you prefer. If I didn't like the last three albums that much I wouldn't have enjoyed the concert that much either. I presume you enjoyed Slane more as they would have had a lot of songs from the 80s / 90s that weren't played last night 'cos they were playing songs from the last three albums instead.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

claiva wrote: »
    Yeah...I was there on Saturday and really enjoyed it but couldn't work out how the edge was making such amazing wocka wocka sounds with his guitar with no pedals ?????
    I assumed the technician was doing it with a computer or summit....

I really hope it wasn't a backing track :(

I have always assumed that the Edge is dependent on some backstage magic to get the desired effect, and has been for some time. Not sure how that assumption got into my head, though :confused:.
    claiva wrote: »
    I didn't think there was much camaraderie between the lads though....especially Larry, I know he's a pretty dour guy at the best of times but he didn't raise a smile once all night.....

He always has a pout on him, even when he's out walking the dog ;) ! From my eyrie in the Cusack Stand last night, I had a clear view of them head off stage and they were all arms round shoulders, or else making a good show of faking it :p:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭magicwok

Was at the gig on friday and lastnight but i think friday was a bit better cause the atmosphere was better and you could go out on the piss after and take it all in unlike lastnight where it was home to bed cause it was a MONDAY

Regarding the setlist i think it was class, songs like The unforgettable,Ultraviolet and Stay havent been sang in years and it was amazing to hear them live especially The unforgettable fire which has been my favourite song for the last 10 years and brought tears to my eyes just to hear it live with 80,000 people, also they play 23 songs and are touring their new album so thats 6 or 7 songs which leaves 15, they are always going to sing, one, with or without you(which i think they should drop) where the streets have no name, pride, beautiful day,sunday bloody sunday,vertigo, which only leaves 8 songs, 8 songs from 13 albums, so not everyone is going to be happy

Did any notice they didnt sing one song from POP?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

Was in the Cusack premium stand for the gig last night, could feel the stand swawing up and down when everybody was jumping to certain songs, Kinda freaked me out, did anybody else notice this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭TheDemiurge

MDub wrote: »

+1 I was so looking forward to last night, and was very disappointed compared to so many other gigs I've seen. AC/DC at Punchestown was the best, most joyous and stonking gig I've ever been at in this country. As for U2, Bono looked creaky, and the other lads seemed as if they didn't want to be there. The crowd in the Hogan Stand were like waxworks.

Can't wait for Fatboy Slim/Calvin Harris next Sunday. Not guitar heroes but the music and atmosphere will be on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

googlefan wrote: »
    I

3) The original Bloody Sunday happened in Croke Park. When the song was played there was some Islamic stuff up on screen. Not impressed.

The song is about the Bogside massacre in 1972 and not the 1920 one in Croke Park.

Advertisement