Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a SLR book, please

• 05-06-2009 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I've decided I'm gonna take the plunge and buy a SLR with next weeks pay packet :D (yippy)

Can anyone reccommend a good book, beginneers or just general information for me. Preferably something I can buy in bricks and morter, I want it TODAY!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Digital SLR for Dummies. Its one of the best books out there, and cheap enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The SLR book to start with will be your camera manual (boring as it may sound) - After that it's photography that you need to learn and there's a wonderful read which you will go back to time and time again which is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This book will tell you "how" whilst your manual will inform the "how to do the 'how'".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Depending on the camera model, I'd highly recommend picking up a Thom Hogan Guide.......much easier to follow and more practical than the standard manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The SLR book to start with will be your camera manual (boring as it may sound) - After that it's photography that you need to learn and there's a wonderful read which you will go back to time and time again which is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. This book will tell you "how" whilst your manual will inform the "how to do the 'how'".

+1 to that. Excellent book. DSLRs are brutal in auto. Get used to Manual shooting ASAP. The difference is astonishing.:)

Understanding Exposure on Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

+1 to understanding exposure also I'm finding the collins complete photography course quite good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Hi guys, So its looks like Understanding Exposure would be the book to get does anyone know where I can pick this up online for the best price ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi guys, So its looks like Understanding Exposure would be the book to get does anyone know where I can pick this up online for the best price ??

The amazon link in post 5 is good - At £9.95 new or £7.25 used you can't go far wrong.

I think I picked mine up in the waterstones branch down from the mansion house, dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780817463007/Understanding-Exposure

Slightly cheaper here. I think I might pick up a copy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

They're 10.38 (all sterling), Amazon are quoting me 9.89 incl free delivery which is slightly cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

coylemj wrote: »
    They're 10.38 (all sterling), Amazon are quoting me 9.89 incl free delivery which is slightly cheaper.

Compared to what the cameras cost they're a pittance.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement