Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poorly advertised events (shows/festivals & exhibitions) in Wexford on the Internet

Options
  • 05-06-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This topic came about after someone pointed out how badly the Bannow-Rathagan Show in Killag is, whereby they have no website or contact details advertising it to try attract visitors or whereby you can contact them to find out if you could sell stuff at it as a trader.

Maybe it is just me but I get the impression that a lot of the organisers of these events are not very good at PR and have an 80s mindset approach to PR way of thinking - Word of Mouth, Parish Newsletters, getting Fr.Y to mention it at mass and maybe get it mentioned in local news papers.

If anybody reads this and are involved in organising something please consider the internet and setting up a website or something. You could get a simple website easily knocked up by a computer student at a bargain price. For about 100 euros you would have a domain and web space to put your web pages on. Money well spent in advertising to try attract visitors.

Examples I've seen lately of poor advertising of an event
    New Ross Dunbrody Festival
    If you go to the website now you will see it still has old content from 2008. This is so so bad especially when the festival is on in less than 2 months. People who will be visiting ireland or wexford region will be googling looking for dates and expected line up.

Bannon Rathangan Show in Killag
    Zero information about this can be found on the internet. I found out from word of mouth.

Duncannon Fort - Military Re-enactment & Vehicle Exhibition
    Very little info on the internet with two websites showing conflicting dates.
    Should have also got a plug for this on Beat FM as well as South East Radio to maximise getting word out there.

Examples of good event advertising
    Kilkenny Cat Laughs
    They had their 2009 content up a few months before advertising it on the Radio. I was very impressed at the advertising effort done.

There my rant over now for today :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Couldnt agree with you more. Im currently on the net trying to find somthing to keep the kids occupied today!

take them to the bowling place. its great fun.

Thanks for that. The bowling is great thanks. Was just looking to see if there was anything on outside today, thanks anyway. Might just head down to Duncannon for somthing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sam_mom1

theres an open day at the windfarm in Carne this afternoon, with goodiebags for kids etc

Thanks for that. I didnt see your post until after we came back. Went to Duncannon, The lighthouse and to Baginbun Head (I think thats how its spelt.) Had a great day.
    Thanks anyway. :D

sam_mom1 wrote: »
    theres an open day at the windfarm in Carne this afternoon, with goodiebags for kids etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

I couldn't agree with you more.. Was devasted I missed the duncannon renactment. I read about it here on boards months back and would really have loved to have gone!! I heard nothing more and forgot about it..
    Heard it was brill though but that's no good to me..

Hopefully people will advertise more on places like this and spead the good word of things going on.. I'm always looking for something to do..

By the way does any one know of any of those Monster Truck shows coming to the south east at any stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Dunmore East Festival of Food, Fish & Fun. 26, 27, 28 June.
    It should be great entertainment for the family. The programme is full of different events and activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Neyeen

The Bannow and Rathangan Show this year will be held on 9 July, at Killag, Duncormick.

The reason there is no website for the show is that the committee are a bit on the low tech side and proabably don't see the advatage of a website. Funny though, with the "word of mouth" effort of PR, people come from all corners of Ireland.... go figure!:D I have suggested a website would be a good investment but its always fell on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Neyeen wrote: »
    The Bannow and Rathangan Show this year will be held on 9 July, at Killag, Duncormick.

The reason there is no website for the show is that the committee are a bit on the low tech side and proabably don't see the advatage of a website. Funny though, with the "word of mouth" effort of PR, people come from all corners of Ireland.... go figure!:D I have suggested a website would be a good investment but its always fell on deaf ears.
    Well its the mindset of an older generation or people who dont use the internet and assume word of mouth is enough. In this case the killag show is well known so you get a lot of the same faces every year. BUT as someone else has pointed out they like to know of what is going on around the south east because they like going to things, so that type of person will not know about the killag show because they have no connection to word of mouth.

I suppose me writing about it hear is a form of word of mouth. :D

Incidently, I see the New Ross JFK Dunbrody Festival has updated their website for 2009 (3 weeks to go) and is showing the line up for this years bands - Jade, Saw Doctors etc are on the lin up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Theres some sort of open air concert on out in screen tomorrow from 2 afaik. 5 euro entry i think.

Not sure of the full details either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Neyeen wrote: »

Looks like someone has been listening!!!

http://bannowrathanganshow.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Advertisement