Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway sleeper as a shelf? Help req'd.

Options
  • 05-06-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi folks,
    I'm trying to think of ways to mount a railway sleeper to the kitchen wall so that I can use it as a shelf and hang pots from hooks underneath.
    I had a joiner who said he could do this but later disappeared without telling me how or finishing his work.

The sleepers are heavy and brackets strong enough would be unsightly.

It's an exterior wall. I had been considering using very long, heavy bolts through the sleeper and right through the wall and then fixing it with a nut tightened to a face plate outside. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any bolts like this.

Does anyone know any other way I could do this or possibly even where I could get bolts like that? I don't mind if they have to be custom machined if you know anyone who would make them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

You can buy threaded rod in many diameters and in lengths of up to 3ft long( maybe longer) , I've bought it in Woodies before. I'd set the rod in the sleeper using a construction epoxy like Anchorset and proceed as you outlined.Or drill through the sleeper and set the rod in the wall and bolt the sleeper on , cut plugs to cover the nuts.Are you sure you want a railway sleeper in your kitchen though?, normally covered in cresote and other nasties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The use of the original sleepers in a house is a non runner from a carcinogenic stand point.

Even using the more modern ones is questionable as they are treated with stuff designed for outdoor use only.

I would make it up from say 9 by 2 timbers and hang from ceiling with threaded bar: tucks or all fasteners in finglas have the bar and nuts washers etc, going sideways through the 'sleeper' into the wall is fraught with danger

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

first off !
    the smell of the sleeper will kill ya :confused: esp with the heat , all the tar ?
    anyway its your choice , get a 12mm treaded bar bore a 14mm hole in the wall 75mm , bore a 12mm hloe through the sleeper . Get two pack hilti chemical fixing mixture use as per insturtions leave for 24 hrs at least .
    after the 12mm hole is bore through the sleeper counter sink for the nut and fit the sleeper through the treaded bar and fix with a washer and a lock tie nut . Easy mesay .

Advertisement