Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education allowance please help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

Hi Bindi-congrats that is great news-you must be so relieved.

I applied for mine in Galway July 30th but nothing so far. Maybe I should go in next week and check up on it? I got statutory redundancy last nov so hopefully they'll give it to me. so sick of sitting at home-would love to go to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭robert18

can i ask people to stop sterotyping people here ,i am going back to college in september after working in dell for 15 years , i have done my duty paid my taxes and such , nearly all the people who have taking the time to go back to college have to be applauded .now we have people here slating people that are getting btea or who are bending the rules somewhat to get it and they are being thrown in with the people who have stayed on the dole all their lives there is a difference , i am from a bad area as they are called and the people who sit around all day would never ever dream of going to college , people who have the drive and get up and go to enter the educational system in my book are completely different people and so should be treated as such .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bindi

Clueless09 wrote: »
    Hi Bindi-congrats that is great news-you must be so relieved.

I applied for mine in Galway July 30th but nothing so far. Maybe I should go in next week and check up on it? I got statutory redundancy last nov so hopefully they'll give it to me. so sick of sitting at home-would love to go to college.

yeah you should have no bother getting the BTEA. They are probably up to their eyes as in most social welfare places. If you haven't already rang them then I would. Just a friendly call asking them did they get a chance to look over the form etc. doesnt hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Bindi

you weren't on unemployment assistance previous?? there may be hope for me too, what do you think:

Live at home
    Won't be able to work
    Dad works
    Based on my wage + his wage from last year, I'm probably just over the limit for maintenance grant.
    Have been signing on since 15 June, will be coming off in Sep to go to college

Is BTEA 204.30 too??

PS: Congrats on getting it!! I'm happy for ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭PYRO#1

If you have been made redundant you fast track the system if you go back to fulltime education and are upskilling!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭west101

Hi, does anyone know what this part of the scheme covers. I think its sort of a grey area. Do u think it would cover a masters.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_etdo.aspx#intro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

west101 wrote: »
    ... Do u think it would cover a masters.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I applied and got accepted to go to college, supposed to be starting next week. I enquired about btea, as I have a car loan to pay back, but because I am only signing on since June they will not give it to me.
    I have been working for the last 20 years and to say i am peed off would be an understatement. We all know people who get the dole and have no intention of trying to better themselves but they will not let me try and get a qualification and try and get a job.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Clueless09

jeez one man clappin that is a disgrace. You may appeal it, make an appointment with the jobs faciliatator asap. it is at their discretion at the end of the day so plead your case. i hope it works out for you. i really hate hearing stories like this. I'm signing since last Nov myself and heading back to college in two weeks-it has been a long 9months at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I've been on jobseekers since dec 13th, so just under the 9 months. I went into the local office 3 times with my BTEA form but they told me it was too early. They finally took it off me yesterday. I explained to them that yesterday was the last day i'd be able to get to the post office so it would really need to be sorted within the week, the woman didn't seem that hopeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭helpme23

Hello people.Am haven some complacations with the btea payment that im eligable to recieve going by the websites and of course the new budget change.The story is i am going into a second year in a further education college i have been in reciete of jobseekers allowance for over 78 days and am over 21 so this means to my knowledge that am entitled to get the the back to education allowance whislt going to college this year starting from this september till may 2010.Because that i am going to a second level college and have been actually signed on 91 days and over 21 the budget says that anyone that quailifys like i do can and is entitled to this payment.But the social welfare are just been awkward as usual.They say that i must be doin a level 6fetac course and which iam and they say that it must be an advanced course which it is.Its also a link into other third level education as well.But they say i am not intitled to it can anyone give me sum advise here or do i just have to sit out on the dole and do nothing for another year just to quailify:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Gonz0

hey help 23 ,you should try to get on to your Local TD or other such person tell them your situation, they've sorted it out for a few friends of mine who were in your position.It may be a long shot but give it go,you never know...

At the moment I've moved all my stuff from Galway to Dublin
    and still waiting on the bte to come through so fingers crossed.It should be fine but putting this much stress on people at this critical time is terrible, I have to pay my fees tomorrow and I've still no idea if I will be able to afford the whole thing.Makes me a bit mad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TvLicence

Hi,

Just to warn you that even if you got the btea it is based on your jobseekers benefit credits if they run out you will be asked to transfer to allowance at some stage. It happened to my girlfriend this summer halfway through her degree. Basically they have entered into a contract with you to pay for your full course however this is dependent on you qualifying for jobseekers. So be wary of this. I don't know if the credits will run out mid year, though I have the feeling this happened to someone else I know, but if I was you I wouldn't sign on during the summer and risk using up the credits if you don't qualify for JA.

Also working on BTE is fine but earning will affect your SWA/rent allowance

other then that just get your registration letter in as quickly as possible and get the book allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but there is alot of useful info on it.

im looking for some advice on my situation. Ive emailed social welfare, but i havent received a reply as of yet(its been a week, i know they are v.busy)

Im looking to do a higher cert. in science in sept.(with a view to do an add on year for a degree) I've been on BTEA before (6 years ago) and i did a city and guilds diploma in Sound engineering( i cant get a job in it!)

Im wondering if i would be entitled for BTEA again as ive already gotten it once? And would i be entitled to it because im only doing a higher certificate? (is this classed as second level education as its not a degree or diploma??)

Thanks a million for any advice you guys can give me. Its tough to get your head around everything isnt it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emma131

<Snip> No point dragging the thread off topic again. Thanks - Larianne.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

I've been unemployed since august last year. Last September I started one of the part time courses that was set up for people who received redundancy or were unemployed six months.
    I've decided that I would like to do the full time course this year and I am wondering if the fact I started the part time course means I won't be eligible fot the BTEA?

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

hello everyone !

I about to calculate my income and my expenses for a year and as far as i know i have to manage my student years from a little money, that is why i am writing here , could you tell me what kind of support am i allowed to get.

I am a 24 years old Eu citizen , have been living in Ireland for over 4 years, i was working hard all the way as a waiter slave , i got 8 months of unemployment during the recession, i have no criminal records (yet), i don't know what else would be important to mention.
    so far is know i can get my income from 20 hours of work what could mean approx 200euros per week,

i have heard about this back to education allowance that could be around 500 euros. but as a single working guy don't think that i could get it.

And there is a scholarship program , well i don't think that i will be an exceptionally good student so i can forget about that.

please if you have any more information how can i reach maybe the 300 euros a week income during my full time studies , please let me know !

i was also considering professional gambling , but its so risky that it could put me into the grave too soon.

thx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

i see everyone is so busy that they dont even have time to check boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 InterStu55555

Congrats to everyone whose trying to better themselves by returning to education, its extremely stressful trying to sort through all the redtape in getting entitlements sorted but its well worth it when you return to education. I returned to college in September after being made redundant in December 2008 and being on jobseekers until I started back in college in September. The BTEA is a godsend, it really is, I would be completely lost without it and other mature students that I've spoken to all agree that they wouldn't be able to attend the course without it so I really hope that everyone on the thread gets is succesful in their application. I was just wondering if anyone knows the full story about being eligible for work while on the BTEA cause I'm a bit unclear on this and was worried some changes could have been made with the last budget. Can I work during term time?? How many hours?? If I work during the summer while I then have my BTEA withdrawn?? Because I was under the impression that I'd have to go back on jobseekers during the summer, which I wholeheartedly do not want to do after the horrible time spent unemployed last year. Would I be able to work in the summer and then recommence the BTEA in September??

Any info anyone can provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SnookiePie

Hey all,

I'm new here but was finding it very interesting in regards to what we are entitled to if we return to college..

I am currently working full time and have had a keen interest in returning to college..I feel now that I am more responsible and mature to deal with it.....I don't know if I can do this or not....I was just wondering if anyone out there knows if I would be entitled to anything like an allowance or grant or would I need to be in receipt of a social welfare benefit...if anyone can answer this it would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Id suggest going onto www.welfare.ie and looking at the BTEA link. All the info you need is there. You could also contact the job facilitator in your local dole office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SnookiePie

Thanks a million for that link.....really informative....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DubShooter

Hi everyone.

I understand that if sombody is starting on btea as of this Sept. they will be eligable for free fees.

How would I go about applying for this? Or is it done automatically??:confused:

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

DubShooter wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I understand that if sombody is starting on btea as of this Sept. they will be eligable for free fees.

How would I go about applying for this? Or is it done automatically??:confused:

Richie

Everyone is entitled to free fees BTEA or not as long as you satisfy residency rules and are not repeating a year.You will need to apply through the VEC or County Council maintenance grant section to be means tested for them to pay your annual reg fee (approx €1700 per year) on your behalf. If you satisfy the means test, they pay that, otherwise you pay it! You can't get a maintenance grant payment +BTEA from Sep 2010 onwards, just the reg fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DubShooter

Cool, thanks for that Jano1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daner31

I dont think you can be so discriminating, regardless of whether you have the candidate has husband or not...why wouldnt someone try to get funding from the government...in the current climate its quite hard to even find part-time jobs to help fund their college fees. - and anyway the majority of part-time students get a part time job to fund their social habits and summer vacations to America and Thailand!!! So how do you define whats necessary??
    Personal circumstances are always varied and its only for social welfare to judge - if you have a husband with a source of income then SW are wise enough to change the funding accordingly.
    -I could think of more serious ways the government waste money than helping people with their education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 son.

Hi there, I know what you mean! I was wondering does anyone know as you apply for the BTEA scheme, once applied whether you are intitled to work part-time aswell as claiming BTEA before the academic year starts in sept? Or are you still officially on job seekers allowance scheme till then therefore only allowed to work p/t-supplementary welfare allowance? If anyone has the answers to this I'd be extremely grateful. As I'm wanting to get back into Education, have a course in line but have also been accepted for a full-time job, min wage. And realised if I can work part-time during the BTEA I am actually better off learning to the job I want, then keep doing the same dead end work I have been stuck in for the last 10 years! I have to decide by this wkend! I have been on welfare allowance since last April but by starting the job on Monday I could be jepordizing my chances of geting onto the career I want.. If anyone can help as it really means alot

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

BTEA rules regarding work will not apply to you until you have registered for a course and started to receive BTEA. BTEA rules cannot apply to you now as you do not get it now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 son.

Thanks for your reply Janol, I will be apply on Monday as I want to return to education. I just wanted to know in advance what the situation would be, as I've been offered a full-time job, minimum wage too and as its hard to get any job right now so Im needing to make a decision one way or the other.
    Do you know once made application if you are allowed to wk p/t during summer months, or will I have to wait till the academic year starts in Sept before I can get any additional work to support myself?

I would be extremely grateful of any information you might have

kind regards.

Advertisement