Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

back to education allowance please help!

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

Long shot, I know BUT:

Do you think that this rule (scrapping grant if in receipt of BTEA...) should still apply if an offer given and deferred in 2009 takes up a place this sept. 2010.

I ask as this new ruling was not announced until after decisions to defer were taken and would surely have impacted on any deferral decision being made if the info. was there at the time.

Anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sassypsych

Unfortunatly Terric it makes no difference if you are deferring.

Even if you are already in college, say your second year and you have never applied for the grant or BTEA before but need to this year you are now under the new system. The only ones who will continue to get both are those who got both last year and who are renewing their claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

Just wondering if u got any assistance at all? as I am in the same predicament myself and really dont think I can do it w/o some help.
    Ive been accepted as a mature student and have been unemployed for the padt 14 months but have an undergrad already......
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think you have to be 23 to get it no? They'll look at your points too because you're under 23 as far as i know.

I just finished first year as a mature student, I dont get anything, they said i cant get a grant because i was in college for 3 years before(even though i didnt get a grant then either), they also made me pay tuition and no BTEA cause i wasn't on the dole. OP, because you've been on the dole the past while i would have thought you'd be entitled to it?

browne111 wrote: »
    Just wondering if u got any assistance at all? as I am in the same predicament myself and really dont think I can do it w/o some help.
    Ive been accepted as a mature student and have been unemployed for the padt 14 months but have an undergrad already......

I am 24 years old and have the place in college its just im refused BTEA or an assistance aka fees as I have an undergrad already in another discipline. Even tho I cant get work in this area in this recession..........??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

nursingal wrote: »
    Browne, i am in same predicament got my degree in a fee paying college, but that still makes no difference. If i were to not disclose that i already have a degree is there anyway of them knowing?

I think they might take a dim view of someone falsifying a document used by/for the Goverment. I would really think twice before doing so. Even more so now that every Goverment dept is cutting back, you can take that they will be going through each grant with a nit pick !!

You can appeal it if you don't get the grant, 30days to do so, if that fails you can go even higher to Minister !

11.3 (...)
    (i) the local authority and the Department of Education and Skills, to seek the assistance of and supply any relevant information and documents to, the Revenue Commissioners;

(ii) the Revenue Commissioners and the Department of Social Protection to supply any relevant information or documents from their records to the local authority and the Department of Education and Skills and to make any enquiries and seek any documents they consider necessary to enable them to assist the local authority and the Department of Education and Skills;

(iv) the local authority/Department of Education and Skills to transfer information from the grant application to a central database which may be accessed by the Revenue Commissioners and the Department of Social Protection.
    13.1 (...)
    If a candidate's failure to provide this full and complete information be the result of a deliberate material omission or inaccuracy, the candidate(s) shall be liable to prosecution, loss of grant and repayment, with interest, of any portion of a grant already received.

• Advertisement

Has nyone out there sucessfully appealed it? and what do ya think would amount to 'exceptional circumsatances' to allow it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I am 24 years old and have the place in college its just im refused BTEA or an assistance aka fees as I have an undergrad already in another discipline. Even tho I cant get work in this area in this recession..........??

I was told browne111 from a SW Officer that you will get the BTEA (as long as you qualify conditions) in another discipline as long as it is a higher qualification than your last. For example, if you have a level 6 you can go for a level 7/8. If you already have a level 8 unfortunately you won't get the BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Has nyone out there sucessfully appealed it? and what do ya think would amount to 'exceptional circumsatances' to allow it?

Around the 24th of June I was told by the BTEA section in Carrick that 'exceptional circumstances' would be along the lines of someone with an existing third level qualification that was earned a seriously long time ago, the 1980's was quoted to me. Or if the level of qualification required for your area of work had been statutorily changed meaning you legally need to a certain qualification in order to get back to the same line of work.
    They are looking at this area at the minute as there are so many people with level 8 /postgrad quals who simply cannot find work. Its especially relevant for people who qualified in Construction and certain types of R&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

leah24 wrote: »
    Hey I have applied for nursing next year..its a four year course...I am currently working part time and am also receiving one parent family payment. I was going to just get my grant and stay on my opf!!is this not ok?do i have to apply for btea!!I dont want to! im sick of all the forms.....form after form it just drives me insane and not to mention all the copies you need of every document(sorry i dont have a copy of grandmothers dogs birth cert)!!!too much of a headache....i dont want to be doing anything I shouldn't be though so I dont know what to do????help???????

You can stay on OPFP and get the grant but you should get in touch with DSP Social Welfare Services in Sligo, Tel; (071) 915 7100 or Locall 1890 500 000 to make sure its all above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 abi sant clare

Hello,
    I applied for a course in Limk Senior 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing yet, should i wait til i hear from them before i send off my BTEA form? Do you have to ask the college to send you out prove you got accepted and the duration of the course and send that off with the form? Can anyone tell me the process they went through? I am 24 years of age and will be applying as a mature student. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daner31

Hello,
    I applied for a course in Limk Senior 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing yet, should i wait til i hear from them before i send off my BTEA form? Do you have to ask the college to send you out prove you got accepted and the duration of the course and send that off with the form? Can anyone tell me the process they went through? I am 24 years of age and will be applying as a mature student. Thanks.

Yes, you have to get to get proof you have been accepted by the college and have actually registered to start the course - Basically, find out asap if you've been accepted or not and if so get an acceptance letter off them. When the course is starting you will be asked to provide evidence of registration and the BTEA only starts when you start college. And...as far as I know they check up on this throughout the year to make sure you have not quit the course whilst still getting their money!!

Remember though, if you have already completed an undergraduate course you cannot get the BTEA if the course is the same level or lower to the previous qualification....check with the college that the course is covered by BTEA (they should know this) and to give you some form of acceptance letter with details of the course type and duration and hand it in with the BTEA form....good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 daner31

greener44 wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering does the BTEA pay your college fee's and do you still get 196 a week aswell??i think i may be eligible as i have been out of work for a year and am hoping to go back to college and do a masters

Unfortunately, BTEA is just a weekly payment of 196 for the course duration and is not additional to any fees being payed for..They are not so generous Im afraid!! :(

Also, you have to have been getting social welfare for at least 9 months to apply for BTEA - if you have, then you should be eligible. And, so long as the masters is a higher level than your previous qualification there is no reason why you shouldnt get it....you have to apply first to the college though and show them that you have been accepted on the course...good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

greener44 wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering does the BTEA pay your college fee's and do you still get 196 a week aswell??i think i may be eligible as i have been out of work for a year and am hoping to go back to college and do a masters

AFAIK you will not qualify for the BTEA to persue a Masters. Below is from the SW website for the third level option for BTEA.. a HDip yes, Masters no.

1.8 Third Level Option (TLO)

A person may attend an approved third level course of education at any university or third level college or institution. The course must be a full-time day course of study which is recognised
    • by the Department of Education and Skills for Higher Education Grant Scheme, or
    • the Vocational Education Committee's Scholarship Scheme, or
    • the Third Level Maintenance Grants Scheme for Trainees, or
    • has Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC) recognition
    From 1 January 2003, the postgraduate option of the Back To Education Allowance is payable only to persons who wish to pursue a postgraduate course of study that leads to a Higher Diploma (H.Dip.) qualification in any discipline or to persons in pursuit of a Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary & Secondary Teaching).
    • Other types of postgraduate qualifications are not recognised for BTEA purposes. For e.g. Masters, MA, MSc, M.Phil etc.
    • Only postgraduate courses in Ireland are eligible for the BTEA scheme.
    • Under no circumstances will BTEA be awarded to a person who already holds a postgraduate qualification.
    Full-time day undergraduate courses in the United Kingdom and other European Union countries which are recognised for Higher Education Grant purposes may also be considered for the Back to Education Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

You may also apply for the maintenance Grant, which if approved will probably cover the course fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bn89

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on the Back to education allowance.
    I am currently getting the BTEA and was getting job seekers allowance before that so i want to know what happens if i leave my course?
    once I let the social welfare know If i leave education, do I get paid the job seekers allowance again or what happens?Do i need to apply again?
    Please help if you know anything about it because i can't go into the social welfare at the moment and i'm tired of talking to people from the social welfare by phone or email that can tell me nothing about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

bn89 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on the Back to education allowance.
    I am currently getting the BTEA and was getting job seekers allowance before that so i want to know what happens if i leave my course?
    once I let the social welfare know If i leave education, do I get paid the job seekers allowance again or what happens?Do i need to apply again?
    Please help if you know anything about it because i can't go into the social welfare at the moment and i'm tired of talking to people from the social welfare by phone or email that can tell me nothing about it!

I'm pretty sure you have to re-apply for whatever payment you were on before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 strictlyelvis

CAN I WORK ON BACK TO EDUCATION ALLOWANCE, NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO CLEARLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME?????

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

robert18 wrote: »
    hi bindi as far as i know you have to be on A SOCIAL WELFARE payment to get the btea so if i was you i would go on the sick and no matter what stay on it just say to the doctor that you are suffering from stress which you are and that might bridge the gap of 2 weeks , also for the grant which is 3400 per year if you have been on a social welfare payment in the last year it goes up to 6950

Would you get social welfare if you were on sick, thought you had to be available for work. Bindi, sounds like a catch 22 situation, some of the systems in place are ridiculous and without sense. Maybe you could take anything part-time for few days and sign on for the rest. Citizens advice may be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭tina turner

CAN I WORK ON BACK TO EDUCATION ALLOWANCE, NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO CLEARLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR ME?????

i think you should get clear answer from your social welfare office. as far as i know, you can keep your part time employment as long as you are keeping up with your course and not missing any classes. i think SW might request the attendance letter from your college, so keep your back covered.

don't take my word for it, contact your local office and ask them,they have to tell you.good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Yes you can. You just need to inform your social welfare office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 schooler

Hi, I am a 2nd yr third level student. I currently recieve disability allowance and the maintenance grant of about 3,000. I never changed to BTEA, I didnt know I had to until the begining of the summer after 1st year when I was talking to another student. I rang the social welfare dept who confirmed this and said i would have to sign on for the summer this really scared me as i am unable to work and prone to periods of illness wihich i can not control. This is easier to maintain in college as much of my work can be done when i am able at weekends and nights.(I now know thru my own research today this was false) Anyway I didnt change payment and today I received a letter today asking me to inform social welfare of any changes in my circumstances. I will now tell them the whole story but;

I am worried that
    A)I wont get BTEA as im not in 1st year, and will be disqualified from disability as i did not tell them about my changes in circumstances and
    B)That if I am accepted onto BTEA I will lose my grant.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do and what they think the outcome will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 D_85

I came back from Australia 25th February 2011, I have been on the dole since march and I've been given the opportunity to attend LIT in September, on the Social Welfare site they said you need 234 days of unemployment (including 25/02/2011 upto September) I would have 189 days there abouts.

I was hoping to apply for the Back to Education Allowance to help with the costs of living and education materials. I know the legislation and procedure.

Is there going to be anychance of flexibility on their part? I only ask because I need to keep myself covered I can't get enough hours to cover me working to make more than the dole right now so it isn't financially possible to give up the dole and then start working one day a week and still have the financial burdens of college life, I know the maintenance grant covers some of the stuff but as I'm doing an IT based course I'd need a PC/LAPTOP of my own.

Funny thing I read tho is if I had served some prison time I'd actually be entitled to BTEA... I've never been locked up but if it gets me to college I'll do something small and get a week or two locked up and have all the entitlements.... No I'm not serious.

I really want to do this course I've done a Fetac course just so I could get the academic background and help persuade the decision for my college application. I went to Australia to try earn some money so when I came back I could support myself. Then I got caught in the flooding in Queensland... Talk about bad timing on my part but I'm alive and well and thats more important...

Any/ALL suggestions or comments are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spooky2009

Hi schooler, you dont have to change from disabitity to back to education, if you do you will not be entitled to the grant. I work with disabled people and they stay on disability and get the grant. It was an honest mistake not informing them so hopefully that'll be ok. Its stresfull enough going back to education so why switch payments and be 3000 down?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jessychan!

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me.

Two years ago I was on the dole for 12 months but I then found a job and have been working for a year.

However I have know decided to up-skill and get a better job but I am wondering would I be entilted to the back to education allowance as I was previously on the job seekers allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

jessychan! wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could answer this question for me.

Two years ago I was on the dole for 12 months but I then found a job and have been working for a year.

However I have know decided to up-skill and get a better job but I am wondering would I be entilted to the back to education allowance as I was previously on the job seekers allowance?

No, you have to be on job seekers allowance in the 12 months previous to starting the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Larianne wrote: »
    No, you have to be on job seekers allowance in the 12 months previous to starting the course.

You may be entitled to the VEC Grant .... depending on your income - not sure what their criteria is but I do know that you can't get both the BTEA and VEC Grant anymore, so maybe you could inquire about the VEC Grant! Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 borntosucceed

Does anybody know whether I can keep my Back To Education Allowance and register a Private Limited Company?

I was told that as a Director I will be considered "Self-Employed" which is weird to me since Ltd. is owned by shareholders, the director only runs it. Could someone clarify that for me, please?

Also, in case I register Ltd. and keep receiving BTEA, is there a risk they will tell me to pay back whatever I have gotten since Ltd. is set up?

Advertisement