Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Maths :D

Options
  • 05-06-2009 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

just sat paper 1 and was pleasantly surprised by the paper ... what did most people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I found it easy enough. Answered all my questions in about an hour and twenty minutes. Rechecked it about 4 times too. Only a few parts I couldn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior

I heart Pass Maths. That paper was grand, I could do everything that I had to do and drew a nice picture for the corrector to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

It was handy enough.

The only thing I was really disappointed about was the first principal question.

I usually get a handy 20 marks from that question but the one we got today was the type I cannot do. :(

The 2x^2 one. Usually it's just an X^2 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Q4 was annoying, but I did an extra question, so all is good:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

Really happy with how that went. Only part C) of Q.3 was tricky and the rest was fairly easy.

• Advertisement

Q4 was annoying, but I did an extra question, so all is good:cool:

Same, I done.

1, 2, 3 4, 6, 7, 8 (Not happy with 2 and 8. Pissed off about 8 because it's usually a peech for me.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ian 123

Was actually alot better than I tought it would be! I answered 7 questions just incase. I found question 4 hard =[

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

yeah same, pretty handy, love Q1s they're the ****!, whenever the question names the characters, you know it wont be too difficult:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Lulled into a false sense of security, we all end up failing maths on paper II.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Considering I've never even opened the book since I dropped down in fifth year, I found it very easy. Q1 I probaly could have answered when I was in 5th class:pac:

Only question I found difficult was complex numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Ordinary maths <3

It was a breeze.
    Did 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8.

Couldnt get my head around 7 (c), but attempted it none the less.
    And 8 (c) was tricky too.

Other than that, it went swimmingly :D

Here's hoping paper 2 goes as well!

I actually didn't find the complex numbers question very difficult.

But saying that, I probably got it wrong. :P

Now to lean some English, as John Montague says:

"I say goodbye to the cailliach, that terrible figue".

I'm not sure how that applies to here but atleast I remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Got 7q's done. 4 and 8 annoyed me, but I'm only looking for a pass so I think I'm ok :)

By the way, anyone tell me what it means why it says solve |z| in complex numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

thought Q 1,2,3, were fairly easy... but i thought the c parts to Q 6,7,8, were a bit tricky and that 1st principle question annoyed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    Got 7q's done. 4 and 8 annoyed me, but I'm only looking for a pass so I think I'm ok :)

By the way, anyone tell me what it means why it says solve |z| in complex numbers?

I believe thats some formula I didn't learn :D

If it tells you: |z| = 2x + 3i

Then you put 2^2 + 3^2 then get the square route of that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

All you do is change the sign. In this case it was a plus, not a minus. Numbers stay the same, only the sign.

thought Q 1,2,3, were fairly easy... but i thought the c parts to Q 6,7,8, were a bit tricky and that 1st principle question annoyed me!

You and me both brother, usually the easy X^2 first principal comes up. But they put the stupid 2x^2 question on the paper, one I never learned. Just looked at it now and I'm pissed off because its simple. I believe I may have got about 5 - 7 marks off it, which isn't too bad since I thought I got 0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I easily got 100%. Did all 8 questions, not a bother on any of them. Had time to double check it at the end aswell. Bring on Paper 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

The modulus.

Something i actually looked over the night before..
    BUT, when i saw it ont he page in front of me, i blanked =/

You square both terms, and then put them under a square root.

Something tells me, im going to remember that for a long time -.-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

All you do is change the sign. In this case it was a plus, not a minus. Numbers stay the same, only the sign.

No that is the complex conjugate you are thinking of, not the modulus.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Pala! wrote: »
    You and me both brother, usually the easy X^2 first principal comes up. But they put the stupid 2x^2 question on the paper, one I never learned. Just looked at it now and I'm pissed off because its simple. I believe I may have got about 5 - 7 marks off it, which isn't too bad since I thought I got 0.
    ya its a pity now, could have been a handy 20 marks! oh well i am much better at paper 2 so i hope that goes better!

Oh if anyones interested, the paper was very like the 2004 paper which I happened to do last night. Pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I had great fun :)
    was just what i needed after the english incident
    questions 1-4 were actually really nice, after that I did questions 5,6 and 7 which weren't too bad
    I think i aced the first 5 Q's after rechecking them all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Was very happy with that. I was a bit confused with Q8 (C)(iii). Could someone post an answer to it, maybe putting it as a spoiler incase some don't want to know it.

Don't have the paper with me. What was the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Loved it, went in scared, came out singing (in my head of course!). Now English...let me at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Got at the absolute least 50%.

Fairly sure I got Q1,2,3 100% right.

The rest, not so sure.

Got at least a B on the paper.

Was a bit annoyed First Principals came up on the Q8 (Actually, does it normally? I dunno) I got it right, but the curve? No!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

So....................Conor go 15 apples right?

Ha i better pass this damn subject.

Not a huge fan of paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

ye it was simple enuf

Advertisement