Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Maths :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

q5 was ridicously easy!
    nevr studied it before but reckon I got at least 45 out of 50 on it, no formulas neede whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Delighted with the paper! Bit annoyed that first principles came up as part b, would've much preferred it in c. What was with the last bit in question 2 that was like x cubed+ x squared... no root or factors? Hadn't a clue how to do it, I was just grasping at straws.. attempt marks, yeow!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Delighted with the paper! Bit annoyed that first principles came up as part b, would've much preferred it in c. What was with the last bit in question 2 that was like x cubed+ x squared... no root or factors? Hadn't a clue how to do it, I was just grasping at straws.. attempt marks, yeow!:cool:
    first principles come up every year dont they?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    first principles come up every year dont they?

Yeah, they put the harder one (For me anyway) up this year. Usually its a handy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here that bouncing ball question.

I think it was h = 10t^3 - 10t

To get the last part (maximum height) do you just get the second derivative.

• Advertisement

bbbah double post.

'Here that bouncing ball question.

I think it was h = 10t^3 - 10t

To get the last part (maximum height) do you just get the second derivative. '

I put t=0 'cause when it reaches its max height its speed is 0? Or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

No... the maximum height is when the speed is 0

No second derive = acceleration. epic

To get the maximum heigh you use the first derivitave (speed) and set it to zero.

It makes sense that when the ball is at it's maximum height it's speed is zero for a split second.

The answer was 3 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Thought it was a lovely paper, I couldn't believe how easy question 1 was! didn't do great on question 6, but I did seven questions so it should be ok!
    I just really hope they don't follow it with a horrible paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Anything with tangents went over my head but rest was okay... few weird bits though- especially the cubed question you had to solve.

I hate maths but I was happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

The q about the rectangle and the square with the square roots and the x's threw me off alot and i started having a mini panic so i left it and finished the paper,then i had enough time to come back to it.i took a stab at it,doubt it was right but i might get attempt marks for tryin several ddifferent ways to get at it...one of them had to be at least a little right.

The trick was to use pythagora's theorem in that I think

Oh the rectangle question had quite a trick

I think it was (2Routex)^2 + (Routex)^2 = (Route45)^2

Getting... 4x + x = 45

meaning x =9...

Meaning 6 x 3 were the sides...

Meaning the area was 18

Meaning the area of the square was 36

Route 36 = 6.

When the answer is that nice, you know you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I do love pass maths! :D
    Did 1,2,3,4,6,7,8, 3 was my extra sneaky one at the end.
    went great, couple of little things like the last bits of c's that were bit tricky, but happy over all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae

This thread just makes me so glad I did the leaving two years ago. I couldn't remember any of it, not if I tried. But I got a D2 in OL and was bloody delighted. Bahahahaha.

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

errlloyd wrote: »

Getting... 4x + x = 45

meaning x =9...

Meaning the area was 18

Route 36 = 6.

Damn i just randomly worked out something crazy and it certainly wasnt that...ok...ok...only those marks down the drain so far i think,but the rest seemed to be ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

I think I did really well on it, got it all worked out and stayed until the very end, the only question I had a little bit of bother with was 2 (c) (ii) but I think I got the right answer out, fingers crossed, hopefully this English paper isn't crap! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Dumbledore

errlloyd wrote: »

Getting... 4x + x = 45

meaning x =9...

Meaning the area was 18

Route 36 = 6.

Darn it Chris are you sure? it was 45= x+2x after you had squared them.

45=3x
    15=x
    Length was then 30
    Width was 15
    15x30= 450cmsquared

The square must be 900cm squared
    find the square root and you get 30cm, one side =30cm.

I am pretty sure that is right? That is what I did anyway.

• Advertisement

Le Cuid A wrote: »
    I think I did really well on it, got it all worked out and stayed until the very end, the only question I had a little bit of bother with was 2 (c) (ii) but I think I got the right answer out, fingers crossed, hopefully this English paper isn't crap! :D

That is just simple long division in algebra

if f(-2)=0

x+2 is what you divide in. IT worked out perfectly for me and I got the quadratic equation, and found the other two roots. Remember in a cubic equation there is 3 roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Dumbledore wrote: »
    Darn it Chris are you sure? it was 45= x+2x after you had squared them.

45=3x
    15=x
    Length was then 30
    Width was 15
    15x30= 450cmsquared

The square must be 900cm squared
    find the square root and you get 30cm, one side =30cm.

I am pretty sure that is right? That is what I did anyway.

yeah thats how I did it too!! tbh I dont really care if its right, it's done now!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

if f(-2)=0

x+2 is what you divide in. IT worked out perfectly for me and I got the quadratic equation, and found the other two roots. Remember in a cubic equation there is 3 roots.

i did this but couldnt remember how to finish it so annoying.

for question 7(i) did you get dy/dx and let it equal to 0?

tazbars wrote: »
    i did this but couldnt remember how to finish it so annoying.

for question 7(i) did you get dy/dx and let it equal to 0?

I just chain ruled it first and then substituted the x in. Worked out fine I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

I just chain ruled it first and then substituted the x in. Worked out fine I think.

what? for 30t-5t squared???

was it not 30-10t and let that equal 0

tazbars wrote: »
    what? for 30t-5t squared???

was it not 30-10t and let that equal 0

Be clearer, yo usaid 7(i) and that is what I assumed you meant.

Anyway, assuming you are referring to 7c(i)
    This took me ages to figure out, but after staring for long enough I got it.

When the ball hits the ground, its h is 0, so you must equate the height formula to 0.

30t-5tsquared=0
    divide by 5 across
    -tsquared+6t=0
    -tsquared=-6t
    tsquared=6t
    I got stuck here but eventually realised just to divide across by t.
    t=6.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Pala! wrote: »
    If it tells you: |z| = 2x + 3i

Then you put 2^2 + 3^2 then get the square route of that number.

Damnit, that's pretty handy, thanks. I multiplied by the conjegate ... Feeling pretty stupid now, but hopefully there'll be attemot marks. Can you get attempt marks for doing a sum the wrong way but still get the wrong answer out another way, if you get me? Eg. if a question meant for you to get the distance, but you used the slope formula instead and you got the correct slope, would you still get attempt marks?
    All you do is change the sign. In this case it was a plus, not a minus. Numbers stay the same, only the sign.

Is that not when it asks for the conjugate? Like:
    _
    w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Le Cuid A

if f(-2)=0

Yeah that's what I did, my head was a bit muffled in the exam but I did that question at the end when I was checking back over my paper, got the cubic roots for it, is that all you do?

Le Cuid A wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I did, my head was a bit muffled in the exam but I did that question at the end when I was checking back over my paper, got the cubic roots for it, is that all you do?

Yeah the question was not very clear, but getting the cubic roots is the very maximum you can do. So if they actually meant to ask for anything less, you would have done it along the way towards getting the cubic roots, and I cant imagine they take marks away for going further than you are meant to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Thought is good enough, should get at least a C in that paper, now for P2, which ive never been great at. Still happy for the moment.

Advertisement