Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OL Maths :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Nah Dumble and Phic I think you guys did it wrong.

It was just a surds mistake...

If it had been

2routex^2 you would have been right...

but it was (2routex)^2

Which due to the wonder of BEMDAS, is different.

Oh right its pretty easy to prove

Sure your answers need to work with pythag and 30^2 + 15^2 =/= 45^2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I went in today not knowing what to expect, because I dropped down quite suddenly near the end of the year.Had no OL notes to go over...

I hadn't a clue about a lot of it, but I gave it all a go and it went suspiciously alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I think it was a lovely paper! I need to get at least B3 to get into the course I want. If the paper two will be as nice as this I will get it easily :).
    I did questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and started Q6, but I was short on time. I was stuck on some questions like Q2 B part iii :( .

Lucet wrote: »
    I think it was a lovely paper! I need to get at least B3 to get into the course I want. If the paper two will be as nice as this I will get it easily :).
    I did questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and started Q6, but I was short on time. I was stuck on some questions like Q2 B part iii :( .

It was tricky. What you did was took the original value and divided by 100 to get 1%. Then divided the difference by that to get percentage per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Bongomc

For the Q.3 part C i got : the area of a triangle : (half base by height) with a base of (square root 45) and the height (square root (45 divded by 2)) so that gave me 11.25cm so there was 2 of them so 22.5cm squared.

Probably wrong but i'm not too bothered coz the rest of the paper was grand.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    It was tricky. What you did was took the original value and divided by 100 to get 1%. Then divided the difference by that to get percentage per annum

Quee? What are you talking about? I'm talking about 27x X 3^x = 1/729 . Or did you mixed up something? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Nah Dumble and Phic I think you guys did it wrong.

It was just a surds mistake...

If it had been

2routex^2 you would have been right...

but it was (2routex)^2

Which due to the wonder of BEMDAS, is different.

Oh right its pretty easy to prove

Sure your answers need to work with pythag and 30^2 + 15^2 =/= 45^2

Um ok? Someone tried to explain this to me earlier, didn't understand then either! meh doesn't matter I'm not using maths for points anyway, only had to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

All you do is change the sign. In this case it was a plus, not a minus. Numbers stay the same, only the sign.

Nuh-uh. That's a formula. You square the two numbers given in the question (Leaving out the i) then add them together and get the square root of that. Answer was 5 if I remember correctly.

Can anybody tell me how you multiply square roots? Completely blanked on that...:confused:

Quee? What are you talking about? I'm talking about 27x X 3^x = 1/729 . Or did you mixed up something? :)

Oh sorry.

This is indices. Ok so the rules are pretty clear, when multiplying indices ad the powers and do it. So for example, 2^3 x 2^2 = 2^5 = 32

So we had 3^3 x 3^x = 1/729...

We knew 3^6 was 729...

Which means 3^-6 was 1/729

Which means we needed to to take 3 from that power to get the power required for the question..

Hence 3^-9

Nuh-uh. That's a formula. You square the two numbers given in the question (Leaving out the i) then add them together and get the square root of that. Answer was 5 if I remember correctly.

Can anybody tell me how you multiply square roots? Completely blanked on that...:confused:

Add the powers !!

Remember for square roots (route not sure lol) the power is 1/2

• Advertisement

B(iii) was a pain in the butt! You needed to change the 27 to 3^3 and the 729 to 3^6 and then play with the indecies

Add the powers !!

Remember for square roots (route not sure lol) the power is 1/2

Thanks! I think I actually got it right!! lol!!

Sheer luck. Remembered something about halves and changed the that. You've just made me a whole pile happier! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

That paper was awesomely easy! Except Q.4. I came from honours last year and when they covered it in my pass class they were "going over it" so I never got into it.. :/
    But anyway, got it all done really bar Q. 4! I drew the examiner a smiley elephant near the end too. ^^

B(iii) was a pain in the butt! You needed to change the 27 to 3^3 and the 729 to 3^6 and then play with the indecies

It was a huge pain in the butt I'd tell :D. I was thinking of indices, but that 1/729 just messed me up. Well, I hope I'll get at least attempt mark in that question :rolleyes:. On Sunday I'll do several past papers, because I suck at equations of a line/circle and Q11 is horrible for me. Maybe I'll try vectors instead :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Oh sorry.

This is indices. Ok so the rules are pretty clear, when multiplying indices ad the powers and do it. So for example, 2^3 x 2^2 = 2^5 = 32

So we had 3^3 x 3^x = 1/729...

We knew 3^6 was 729...

Which means 3^-6 was 1/729

Which means we needed to to take 3 from that power to get the power required for the question..

Hence 3^-9

3^-9 isn't the answer though, you had to solve for x...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i found it easy.although some of them gave me problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

i found it easy.although some of them gave me problems

ya same 4 me first 4 questions where fine and did fairly good in other 4 had plenty of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Soooooo easy!!! I had all the q's answered in an hour!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Got the Parts A and B of 6 questions done quite well and the odd C from each, and attempted the remaining two in case. Although I did quite poorly in those two. Should be fine. Not that worried about maths as it isn't needed for my course.
    phic wrote: »
    3^-9 isn't the answer though, you had to solve for x...

Whaaa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mosis11

heyguys sorry for the inconvienience but would someone tell me if i passec paper 1 if i put the qs i got right up??
    Q1....b (i) b (ii) b(iii) c(i)
    Q4...a b(i) b(ii) c(i)
    Q5...a b(i) b(ii)
    q7...a b(I) b(II)
    q8...a

paper 1 not strong 4 me but hoping for 20o + points on paper 2
    so wat u think thanks good luck in the exams
    oh and i was close with other qs so attempt marks aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

for the indices if you just worke out on you calculator that it was -9 what do you get??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Yeah I got -9 for the X in indices too :D I checked it in the original solution and it worked :P

I thought the paper was fantastic :D Yay pass maths! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

I thought that writing x = -9 was full marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

for the indices if you just worke out on you calculator that it was -9 what do you get??

Should just get full marks, that's what I did - it didn't say ''without the use of a calco" or anything. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ThatWouldBeNice

Mr.S wrote: »
    It does say "all workings must be shown" though, or something along thoes lines.

God, I forgot about that :confused: I maybe showed a bit of working out, hope it'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 c_92

By the way, anyone tell me what it means why it says solve |z| in complex numbers?

Find the modulus of it. square root of a squared plus b squared

Ah I get what people mean.

The answer is not 3^-9.

The answer is x = -9.

Because it was asked in the form find x so that x = blah blah and x was the number that was 3^x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kevwall

well i thought it was handy enough, thought art c ii, on q1 was a bitch, never saw it before!
    :eek:

kevwall wrote: »
    well i thought it was handy enough, thought art c ii, on q1 was a bitch, never saw it before!
    :eek:

What type was that now? I can't remember it myself? Refresh me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Well I dropped down to ordinary about a month back in the interest of my other subjects. I can say it was a good idea.

The paper was easy enough although some things took me a minute of reading over them. I would be surprised if I didn't get an A1 on this paper.

Advertisement