Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths 2009(Paper 1): How was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I thought it was grand, a few tricky bits that seemed to catch people out, but overall it was definately manageable. :)

For 7 (c) (iii), i think its the phrasing that caught people out: (show that annes starting approximation is closer to the root). I think this is referring to her taking (2), alot of people (including me at first) took this as her 1st newton-raphson working.:)

What I did was got both of their first approximations, saw that annes was 2.6666, and barrys was 2.5(something), got a bit confused and all that. Then realised that this is the answer to part (iii) - barrys next approximation is closer to the root than annes. So i put a few arrows around the place and made a note to the examiner that i did it backwards and the answer to (ii) was on the next page.

Then i used 2.5 as my own approximation to the root, got it as 2.4444444, showing that Anne's 2 was closer than Barry's 3. Hope thats right...

Don't worry about it, by the looks of it everyone got confused, our teacher said afterwards that more marks will be apportioned for part (i) and for using newton raphson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mongey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

For the asymptotes did everyone else get x=3 and y=0? Please reply and reassure me . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I was fairly happy. Didn't know they could put an integral in a complex number question tho!!
    I was wondering about that, did you have to integrate it or is there another way using de moivre's theorem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

SCHWEET!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

GA361 wrote: »
    For the asymptotes did everyone else get x=3 and y=0? Please reply and reassure me . . .

Sounds good to me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Was a nice paper all in all I thought. I'd say I passed, that's all I wanted at this stage. stayed up all nigh studying and it paid off tbh. couldn't do any integration before, managed quite a bit of it. ****ed up the derive the cone formula. even though I JUST learnt it. I'd get a few attempt marks anyway. could only do the (a) part of complex no.s Q. what was the (b) about? and yeah I can't do de moivre's theorem so :(

was it just me or was the first algebra ridiculously easy? I think I did something wrong it was so easy. had it done in 5mins.

how did you do the (c) part of the 2nd algebra? I ****ed around a bit with it but got nothing out of it. wish I had my paper still but I left early.

differentiation was fine. did the asymtotes grand I think. didn't know how to prove no tagents were parrallel though. and the newton raphson anne and barry kind of threw me. how did you do the 2nd and third part of that?

one of my friends did anyway. I got the 3 but ****ed up the limit one. I think you're right! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You have no idea how horrible it feels to know that you won't even get attempt marks for going about 8(c) the wrong way. That's actually a 0/20. D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Sounds good to me :).
    El Pr0n wrote: »
    Correct!
    one of my friends did anyway. I got the 3 but ****ed up the limit one. I think you're right! ;)

Thanks a million :D:D . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭arthistory

Me Too!!!!!!:) Totally messed up the rest of it though

Davidius wrote: »
    You have no idea how horrible it feels to know that you won't even get attempt marks for going about 8(c) the wrong way. That's actually a 0/20. D:

what's question 8 integration? the cone thing? I think I went about it right. going to check now. didn't get it out though

yeah I'd say that feels horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Question 2(c) was dire! I got nq^2/p(n^2+2n+1) ...probably wrong. That's the worst part (c) i've seen in algebra in a long time!

I got that too :o and then used it in part (ii) by subbing in p=1 and n=5. Which made no more sense than any other way im afraid, i ended up with q greater than or less than some random assortment of letters :o
    Yup :D you could see from the graph that that was right :)
    I was wondering about that, did you have to integrate it or is there another way using de moivre's theorem?

I integrated using the other answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

For 2 part c, I worked out that q > 0

I'm pretty sure that that was given in the question..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Folks, forget the paper. Whats done is done. No matter how well it went or how badly it went for anyone, there is nothing you can do about it.

Relax, stop looking for answers and looking stuff up, because at the end of the day, it makes no difference! :) Throw paper one away and just look forward, post mortems don't help anyone, especially mates who mightn't have done well.

It was a fair paper in my eyes.

Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

were you supposed to cross multiply or simplify the fractions on question 1 part a?

cos i did both

and i still didnt get a sraight answer

aine-maire wrote: »
    For 2 part c, I worked out that q > 0

I'm pretty sure that that was given in the question..:(

I got what alpha was equal to and then let what it was equal to equal each other on both sides, got an answer, it's most likely completely wrong though.

and I agree that it was a fair paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

For 2(c) I got q>-36/5. Anyone able to confirm this?!

kevogy wrote: »
    were you supposed to cross multiply or simplify the fractions on question 1 part a?

cos i did both

and i still didnt get a sraight answer

I cross multiplied and got out an answer really fast. was 3/2 or something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Cross Multiply , get x in terms of y.
    Sub back in to get y = 3/2 or 2/3 cant remember which.

Get x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Sweet wrote: »
    For 2(c) I got q>-36/5. Anyone able to confirm this?!

mine was like that alright, we could be equally wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Yup :D you could see from the graph that that was right :)
    I just realised that I never sketched the curve.

Le bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

was question 3 b ii) (-1 0 ) diagonal matrix?
    (0 -1 )

-1^17 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Ok, did anyone else use the same method as me for q.1 (a)?

I let 2x+3y=4 and x+6y=5 and did it out as a normal simultaneous eqn!

I got 3/2 as the answer I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Ok, did anyone else use the same method as me for q.1 (a)?

I let 2x+3y=4 and x+6y=5 and did it out as a normal simultaneous eqn!

I got 3/2 as the answer I think...
    Ya I did that got the same answer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

It was alright, found some of the c parts pretty hard. The Newton-rapson was weird though. I did it a couple of times each coming out with 2 2/3. Anyway, hoping for a B, paper 2 is normally my stronger paper.

Edit: Yep got 3/2 also.

I got 3/2 too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Thought it was a grand paper. Made a good fist of it and I think I'm in high B territory.

Also I got interviewed by RTE, so you might see me on the 6 o clock news tonight, I'm the guy in the stripey grey jumper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Nihilist21 wrote: »
    I've approximated that I got in the region of 90%, I can't see how I'd get less than 85% - since I had time to go over all my answers. Anyhoo here's a breakdown of how it was per question.

1 = Got it all except C, which I did via the right method just must have made a slip (so should get most of the marks).

2= All except C (ii), clearly others had problems with this too.

3= All of this right I think, I wasn't sure about C (ii) but my friend and I both did it the same way, using the equation for sin3a in the prior question.

6= All correct, except for perhaps a small slip - unsure.

7= Everything up to C (i) was fine, then (ii) and (iii) I attempted.

8= Everything right, was a lovely integration question. So happy the volume of a cone came up instead of an area question.
    this is exactly how i think i got on! :D hoepfully get 85. what thats an A2?

Advertisement