Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level Maths 2009(Paper 1): How was it for you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

kevogy wrote: »
    question 7 c part i
    how do you u show root is between 2 and 3?

i got dy/dx

solved the quadratic
    got x = 1
    f(x) = such and such
    put f(2) and f(3) in and it changes sign. you will get a neg answer and a positive thus the root lies between them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

In the distance/speed differentiation part, did anyone end up with a really stupid looking differential? After subbing in the t i think mine was something like root 26 over 5......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ OPPPPSSS

did people get x/y for the implicit function one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Do you get marks for writing the Newton Raphson and/or differentiating the function?

Piste wrote: »
    You find f(2) and f(3) and if the sign changes between them the root lies between them.
    oh goody what i done:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

newton raphson

ahhh ****er

In the distance/speed differentiation part, did anyone end up with a really stupid looking differential? After subbing in the t i think mine was something like root 26 over 5......

YEP. I got 5/root 26 I think

^ OPPPPSSS

i think that what i got. i left it as2x/2y though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

^ OPPPPSSS

Yeah I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

ayapatrick wrote: »
    oh goody what i done:D

Haha yeah. I just got a minus and a positive and just said "therefore lies between___"... sneaky guess.

• Advertisement

ahhh ****er

I think I was wrong actually :pac:

ahhh ****er
    not the way!
    look at my post above this !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

i think i got 5 over root 26 meters per second

i think i got 5 over root 26 meters per second

O wait, ya, thats what i got. Then i multiplied them both by root 26 to make it look nicer so got 5xroot26 over 26 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Yeah, I got 5/root 26 m/s... I was certain it was wrong but it kept coming out like that!

Oh yeah, what did ye get for the tangent to the curve in 7(b)? I got something with 4's and 9's in it...can't remember. I got either 3/4 or 4/3 for the slope, not sure which!

That was grand!
    It think I dropped 10-20 marks on the paper. It was pretty much as expected, and the standard of questions was low enough.

They did make the 2nd diff. one a bit wordy, though. Anne and Barry have no life :P

Do you get marks for writing the Newton Raphson and/or differentiating the function?

Last night on 2fm he said theres a certain amount of marks for writing a formula and more for filling it in.

^ OPPPPSSS

Yups :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, what did ye get for the tangent to the curve in 7(b)? I got something with 4's and 9's in it...can't remember. I got either 3/4 or 4/3 for the slope, not sure which!

I got 1/2 for the slope.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Elli-May

timmywex wrote: »
    I diff'd the formula and got somthing over (x-3)^2

Then i said since a square will be positive, its not possible to get a negative slope, thus its not possible to have m1.m2=-1

ohhh yeah that'd make a lot of sense lol
    I ended up subbing in 2 x values and then finding out what they were equal to and putting it back into the original formula and got something like -2=0 which obviously cant be right so they cant be perpendicular. Hope you can do it that way too

• Advertisement

Elli-May wrote: »
    ohhh yeah that'd make a lot of sense lol
    I ended up subbing in 2 x values and then finding out what they were equal to and putting it back into the original formula and got something like -2=0 which obviously cant be right so they cant be perpendicular. Hope you can do it that way too

Yup. That way works (:

what's the newton raphson formula? I may have done it wrong :o
    is it X1 = Xo -f(Xo)/f'(Xo)

cos that's what I did mmmm

what's the newton raphson formula? I may have done it wrong :o
    is it X1 = Xo -f(Xo)/f'(Xo)

cos that's what I did mmmm

That's the one. I just messed around until I got a good answer. Couldn't remember the formula!
    .:FuZion:. wrote: »
    I got 1/2 for the slope.... :rolleyes:

I got 2 I think :s

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Elli-May wrote: »
    We were always told not to sub values in to prove something,as if you do,you only prove that this is true for the two x values that you used rather than for all tangents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

You know for question 7(c) part (ii) when it said that you had to show that the root was less than 2.5.

a lot of you said that you sub in 2.5 but should you not sub in a number that's less than 2.5? since it says that you have to prove its LESS than 2.5

I subbed in 2.49 but i wrote down that i was subbing it in as it was less than 2.5 so would i still be okay even if they did mean you to sub in 2.5?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I answered 7 questions with plenty of time left, most things SEEMED to work out, except for 2 or 3 part Cs which I think I got mostly right, but I guess I can't really be sure.

1 part A I got 9/6 (hopefully they won't mind I didn't simplify).
    1 Part B(i) worked out
    1 Part B(ii) I got 1<x<2
    1 Part C I got something like c = (sqrt(6)/2)*b + 1.

2 Part A I got x=-2, y = 6 I think
    2 Part B(i): F(x) has unreal roots; g(x) has real, equal roots; h(x) has real roots(unequal)
    2 Part B(ii): can't remember off the top of my head.
    2 Part C(i) I got something like (n(q^2))/(p^2+2np+n^2)
    2 Part C(ii) I can't remember exactly but I got 2 values for q, I think 0 and 1, but I remember thinking I was doing it very weirdly, and would have expected it to be in terms of r.

Skipped 3, don't like it.

4 Part A I got -2 I think.
    4 Part B(i) worked out.
    4 Part B(ii) I got 1 + 1/3 - 1/n - 1/n+2 or something, second term in there might've been + or -, 1/3 or 1/2, can't be bothered doing it again or worrying over it, whichever answer I get I'll be convinced I got the opposite in the exam.
    4 Part B(iii) 2/3 I think (again, this depends on above answer)
    4 Part C(i) I got a(r^2m) or a(r^2m-1).
    4 Part C(ii) I got a(r^m) or a(r^m+1).
    4 Part C(iii) worked out.

Can't remember 5 Part A but I checked it at the time and it worked out.
    5 Part B worked out :P
    5 part C I got 2 and 4.5 or something, I got two answers each for X and Y but then said that log of negative is undefined so crossed those out.

6 Part A I got (6x-1)*(cos(3x^2 - x))
    6 part B(i) I got it to work after some scribbling on opposite page :P.
    6 part B(ii) I got t^3 + t for the speed and 130m/s at 5 seconds.
    6 Part C(i) asymptotes were x = 3 and y = 0
    6 Part C(ii) I said that derivative (worked it out) was always negative, therefore slopes at no points can be perpendicular.

7 Part A I got dy/dx = x/y (or y/x, can't remember)
    7 Part B(i) I got 4t/(t^2 - 2) (maybe the t on top wasn't there, can't remember)
    7 Part B(ii) I got something like 4x +/- y +/- 9 = 0
    7 Part C seemed to all work out handy enough. For part (i) get f(2) and f(3) and since one is negative and one positive it must cross X-axis between them.
    Part C(ii) is same, but with f(2) and f(2.5)
    Part C(iii) get next approx. values for each, they're both > 2.5 but Barry's is smaller, therefore it's closer.

8 Part A: 3x^2 + 3x - 1/x + c
    8 Part B(i) was 1/2 I think.
    8 Part B(ii) was like 12+2/3 or something close.
    8 Part C I did it and seemed to get 2/3(pi)(r^2)h, then I just went back and multiplied everything by a half.... Attempt marks for me hopefully :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I got 2 I think :s

Bollox I did it again and got 4/3 lol.

so did everybody think that anne and barry thing was just misleading? I was just like WUT?

JW91 wrote: »
    You know for question 7(c) part (ii) when it said that you had to show that the root was less than 2.5.

a lot of you said that you sub in 2.5 but should you not sub in a number that's less than 2.5? since it says that you have to prove its LESS than 2.5

I subbed in 2.49 but i wrote down that i was subbing it in as it was less than 2.5 so would i still be okay even if they did mean you to sub in 2.5?

The question already told you that the root was between 2 and 3, so it was asking you to prove that it was also between 2 and 2.5. Don't worry tho, it was a very badly phrased question. They can't really award more than 5 marks for it, and they'lll give you 2 or 3 attempt marks for anything! :)

• Advertisement

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    Bollox I did it again and got 4/3 lol.

Oh noes!
    I did every question so I should be Ok if I got it wrong anyway :D

Yeah, I thought that question was misleading, Sinead. The maths was fine, but the English didn't really help. Probably more confusing than anything else.

Advertisement