Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Book Log

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a stack of books to read. I'm reading really slow at the moment and have a habit of reading a few books on the go. A log will give me some structure to my reading habits. maybe.

So far in past few months have read:

Virginia Woolf Mrs Dalloway (oh why did I wait so long to read this!)
    Hermann Hesse Siddhartha (so short, yet takes me so long)
    Oliver Sachs The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat (okay, bit same-ish after a few case studies)
    Granta book of American Short Stories - (read quite a few of them. Some brilliant stories, some a bit blah)
    Baudelaire Les Fleurs Du Mal (it's in the bathroom, a poem per bath)

have five books beside the bed to choose from next:

Bodies by Susie orbach
    The lady with the little dog and other stories, Chekov
    Madame Bovary, Flaubert
    Revolutionary Road, Richard Yates
    The Museum of Doctor Moses, Joyce Carol Oates (short stories - have dipped into already, she tells a mean story).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

Just read The Wasteland again. Not on reading list but felt like reading it.

Finding Fleurs du Mal tough going. Reading in french and have to look up half the words.

reading Blake's Jerusalem and a bit lost. Need some notes on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

Susie Orbach - Bodies

This is a good analysis of the obsession we have with body culture today and how we use the body as a measure of self worth. There's a lot of interesting psychoanalysis in it and an examination of how we develop 'body' relationships as infants. Made me rethink my parenting strategies - glad I couldn't stand Gina Ford at least!

Advertisement