Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Lens Advice please?

• 05-06-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm heading away traveling soon for 12 months and I need some advice from all you experts out there...

My current bag contains a canon 300d, canon 50mm f1.8, sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 and a sigma 28-300 f3.5-6.3.

I absolutely love the 10-20 and the 50 is great fun but my specific question is about the 28-300. I picked it up second hand a few years ago for e150 and while it has served me well I think it might be time to upgrade. Given that it's the lens that probably spends most of the time on the camera (that hated phrase, my "walk-about lens") what would people recommend as a replacement on a budge of about e500? Not to be smart but I'd pretty much be using it for everything, street scenes, architecture, landscapes, people..... not sure if I would mind shortening the focal length a bit to get a better quality lens. Any suggestions?

(I may also upgrade the 300d to a 40d or 50d before I go but that's a story for another day! I think the lens is probably a greater priority)

Thanks a million one and all for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

500 is not much for a decent zoom. This one here is popular
    http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF_70200mm_f4L_USM/index.asp but outside the budget.
    You might be able to pick one up second hand for 500 or less on buyandsell.ie

This one would replace your old lens pretty well but the only advantage would be the IS.
    http://www.canon.ie/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/EF_Lenses/Zoom_Lenses/EF-S_55-250mm_f_4-5_6_IS/index.asp

If you are going to be in the US on your travels wait and buy there. Its a hell of a lot cheaper. In NY bandhphoto.com is a legendary place to shop. They will also do a trade in on your old lens. Its run by Hassidic jews so its not open Saturday. Beware if you buy online - it will be caught in customs and have to pay duty/excise/VAT. However if you know someone in NY they could send it to you under plain package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I got the Canon 55 - 250 a while ago and am delighted with it. Its quite light and very sharp.

Think you would get it for about €330 - €380. You could use some of what you save for memory card or filters.
    Also got the 40d in January superb. Got it in Jessops Newry and saved serious money. It cost about £600stg which is €685 - 690. Second hand in Dublin hey are from €700 know i saved about €400 at the time.

Also try www.adorama.com if in N.Y.Or Hunts www.huntsphotographic.co in Boston. The 55 - 250 is $225 which is about €160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

70-200mm F4L is going at roughly €450 second hand on Adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Rb wrote: »
    70-200mm F4L is going at roughly €450 second hand on Adverts.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Forde-fotos

LeoB wrote: »
    I got the Canon 55 - 250 a while ago and am delighted with it. Its quite light and very sharp.

Think you would get it for about €330 - €380. You could use some of what you save for memory card or filters.
    Also got the 40d in January superb. Got it in Jessops Newry and saved serious money. It cost about £600stg which is €685 - 690. Second hand in Dublin hey are from €700 know i saved about €400 at the time.

Also try www.adorama.com if in N.Y.Or Hunts www.huntsphotographic.co in Boston. The 55 - 250 is $225 which is about €160
    Did you pay 685 euro for the 40D body ? If you did you got ripped off. You can pick the body up off e-bay for around 500 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

The 70-200 f4L is going for GB 465 new from online sellers in the UK, thats close enough to your budget. It's a fantastic lens but on a cropped frame camera may be a bit long for a walk about. If you ever upgrade to a full frame camera the lens will still be a useful addition to your arsenal, which is not the case if you go for an EF-S lens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 henryp

kmick wrote: »
    If you are going to be in the US on your travels wait and buy there. Its a hell of a lot cheaper. In NY bandhphoto.com is a legendary place to shop. They will also do a trade in on your old lens. Its run by Hassidic jews so its not open Saturday.
    Thank you. Much appreciated. We are in fact closed Friday afternoons and all day Saturdays.

Advertisement