Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Won My Small Court Claim Against Pc World

• 05-06-2009 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I can talk about a company on here but I'm not slandering anyone so here I go.

I purchased a top spec laptop last year and since have had numerous problems with it so I was constantly bringing it back in for repair for this and that. The last time I brought it in for repair was just 2 days before my warranty was due to expire. They took it off me and had it for over 2 weeks, when I finally got it back I noticed they had only repaired 2 things when I had stated in black and white that there were 4 things that needed to be repaired. I said it to the manager and pretty much said tough luck as my warranty was now expired. So of course I went mad insisting that I told them to repair 4 problems BEFORE my warranty ran out. I then demanded a refund or a replacement product of the same specifiacations and he told me that a refund or replacement product is totally at his discretion....So what did that mean exactly!? I took it up that if he liked me then he would give me a new one but he obviously didnt like me so didnt want to entertain me whatsoever. I finally had enough so I told him I was going to take it to court and he said "oh yes, your very much entitled to do that sir but you are not entitled to a refund or replacement as your warranty has expired".

I left the store raging and went straight down to the court house, put in my claim and stated that I wanted to be re-inbursed for the full amount of the laptop (€1400).

Well its now 6 weeks since I put in the claim and I just received a phone call saying that I will be re-inbursed for the full amount of my laptop.

Happy Days!!

Sorry I am crap at wording things and I left plenty out as it would go on forever and ever. I suppose what I am trying to say is: I wont be shopping in pc world ever again. They dont seem to want to know you after they have your money in their pockets. Imagine all the people that go through this kind of thing every day and dont take it any further, were talking about €1400 like for god sakes. I was not goin to let it go, lol.

If any of you have had a similiar experience, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for reading.

Galwaylad :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good on you..........people need to wise up and not take sh1t from retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭galwaylad

Good on you..........people need to wise up and not take sh1t from retailers.

Too right niceirishfella,

Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

As a general heads up for everyone. It's always good advice to write down your issues on a piece of paper and have it stuck to the top of the laptop - not inside it. If you stick it inside then it's in the way of the screen/keyboard and will most likely be removed and possibly discarded.

I know the repair procedure for them, and the place they send it off to can be right ignorant. Had a laptop go off for repair and come back two times in a row unrepaired - with a little tick beside the lan port being tested (which was the fault). I gave up so much stink that when I got i back the third time half the laptop had been replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

galwaylad wrote: »
    Well its now 6 weeks since I put in the claim and I just received a phone call saying that I will be re-inbursed for the full amount of my laptop.:)

Did you have to attend court? how did all that work?

Greenman wrote: »
    Did you have to attend court? how did all that work?

Hi Greenman, No I did not attend a court sitting. They sorted it outside of court which they usually will do as it would cost them more money to go to court and they would have a high possiblilty of losing anyway. :)

• Advertisement

I know the repair procedure for them, and the place they send it off to can be right ignorant. Had a laptop go off for repair and come back two times in a row unrepaired - with a little tick beside the lan port being tested (which was the fault). I gave up so much stink that when I got i back the third time half the laptop had been replaced.

Hey Dob, I put it down to laziness. It's like everything really, if your not getting paid to do a job, you wont put your heart into it.

And that is the problem here, I'm sure they hate to see damaged products coming in that are still under warranty as they are not making any money to fix them, if anything they are losing money on labour/parts e.t.c...Pure and utter laziness. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Jeepers, you had a lot of issues with that laptop. Were the 4 issues hardware or software related? Its a good thing that you one but Id like to get a feel for the issues involved.

JDxtra wrote: »
    Jeepers, you had a lot of issues with that laptop. Were the 4 issues hardware or software related? Its a good thing that you one but Id like to get a feel for the issues involved.

Hey JDxtra, The issues were as follows:

*Blu-Ray Drive wouldn't play or burn dvds/cds.

*Web pages were constantly flipping back (very frustrating if you were typing a long scéal lol.

*Volume controls weren't responding.

*Laptop was overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The small claims proceedure is a very good one - I've used it against a retailer and won.
    Then the retailer did'nt pay out so for €16, I got the court sheriff to collect the debt and very quickly he did!
    I got my full money and the €16 was charged to the retailer so I got it back too.
    I would encourage anyone to use this low cost way of challenging these type of traders in the courts. They'll more than likely settle with you prior to any judgment to make it go away because they will have to pay for legal representation (you can if you want at your own expence) but if you loose, they cannot level or counter sue you for their legal costs as the small claims proceedure protects you and I as consumers.
    The arrogant retailer I challenged wrote to me and threatened me that he would counter sue me but little did he know he could'nt so I let him go of thinking he could.....until it was too late and it went to judgment. He lost and I won......man,he was real pissed. Karma I call it.

Good Stuff niceirishfella, always glad to hear a happy ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sweet..thats the fighting talk we like to hear..:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Great result.

Advertisement