Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agar-agar

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Agar-agar - so good they named it twice.

Its made from seaweed and its a veggie alternative to gelatine. Has anyone used it here?

Got a nice recipe for strawberry panna cotta and going to try it out this weekend.

Going to pop out at lunch to buy it. Anyone know where to get it in town? First stop is the Asian market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

You should find it in the asian shops. It comes in long strands that you then boil. It's also the same thing used in agar plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It also stays set at warmer temps than gelatine, this is why it is used on agar plates/petri dishes (which are for growing baceria etc on in labs). But this fact is also used in some recipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

I couldn't find the powdered version. I got strands of agar-agar. I have tried to google information on how to use it and there is surprisingly very little info on the stuff. Does anyone have any good links or sites where I could get this information? Or has anyone used the strands before? Cheers.

It is really just used like gelatine, I got powdered stuff for making petri dishes, I also got flakes in an asian shop. I just pour boiling water on mine and let it dissolve. Do you have a recipie? Normally for petri culture dishes I use 1g per 100ml of water to get a solid jelly. You could cut up or scrunch up the strands to submerge them better.

When searching google just search for agar, not agar-agar which is a rarer term for it. "Agar flakes" would more likely get culinary tips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar

dissolves at 85C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I couldn't find the powdered version. I got strands of agar-agar. I have tried to google information on how to use it and there is surprisingly very little info on the stuff. Does anyone have any good links or sites where I could get this information? Or has anyone used the strands before? Cheers.

In the first section of this PDF there is plenty of information on agar agar, with some recipes to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Orby

rubadub wrote: »
    It is really just used like gelatine, I got powdered stuff for making petri dishes, I also got flakes in an asian shop. I just pour boiling water on mine and let it dissolve. Do you have a recipie? Normally for petri culture dishes I use 1g per 100ml of water to get a solid jelly. You could cut up or scrunch up the strands to submerge them better.

When searching google just search for agar, not agar-agar which is a rarer term for it. "Agar flakes" would more likely get culinary tips.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar

dissolves at 85C

Rubadub- What asian shop did you get these in and do you remember the brands? I have been looking for agar powder for ages. I also want to try a different flake brand other than clearspring. thanks

Orby wrote: »
    Rubadub- What asian shop did you get these in and do you remember the brands? I have been looking for agar powder for ages. I also want to try a different flake brand other than clearspring. thanks

The flakes were from a shop on georges street in dublin, near the arcade. Dunno the brand it was a navy packet with some white on it, and was clear in places to see inside. The powder was bought from an online mycological shop but they are no longer selling it.

Advertisement