Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance cover on private property

• 05-06-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

This morning I reversed into a pillar in the underground carpark of my apartment complex! D'Oh! :(

I have fully comprehensive insurance. I just wanted to make sure that I am covered by my insurance when on private property. Might be a stupid question. Can anyone confirm?

Also, if the repairs cost more than the car is deemed to be worth, and the insurance company write off the car, do they write me a cheque for that amount and let me keep the car? Can I continue to drive (and insure) a written-off car? Note: the damage to the car is primarily cosmetic, and does not affect the road-worthiness, safety or security of the car.

I don't have a quote for the repairs yet, but it won't take much to push the cost of repair above the current estimated value of the car! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

This morning I reversed into a pillar in the underground carpark of my apartment complex! D'Oh! :(

I have fully comprehensive insurance. I just wanted to make sure that I am covered by my insurance when on private property. Might be a stupid question. Can anyone confirm?

Also, if the repairs cost more than the car is deemed to be worth, and the insurance company write off the car, do they write me a cheque for that amount and let me keep the car? Can I continue to drive (and insure) a written-off car? Note: the damage to the car is primarily cosmetic, and does not affect the road-worthiness, safety or security of the car.

I don't have a quote for the repairs yet, but it won't take much to push the cost of repair above the current estimated value of the car! :(

You are insured, but it sounds like it is hardly worth claiming.

You can still drive a "written off" car. Many people do. The insurers will give you the difference between the PAV (pre accident value) and salvage value (i.e. scrap value) and the car is yours. Some people claim you need assessors and so forth, but you don't if the car is only an economic write off.

Again you need to balance the claim against future premium increases. If you have NCB protection please note this may result in you being married to the same insurer for a number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The good news is you are covered. If the ins co write off your car, they'll pay you the market value and assume ownership of the car. You may be able to agree a figure which allows you to keep the car though - best thing would be to talk to your ins co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 noleafclover78

Thanks folks!

I phoned my insurance company, and I'm allowed to make 1 claim in a 3yr period without losing my NCB. So I'll probably go ahead with the repair if they don't write it off. Waiting for a quote from a body shop at the moment.

Advertisement