Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soldering stick

• 05-06-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Basically i cut open my hrap2 in hopes of connecting the wires up with a wired 360 pad, i have both, [OPEN actually] but i never got arround to soldering it, the points are too small and i fear il probably wrecked the pad as they are hard to come buy, so does anybody know any hardware/fixers that would solder it for me?

thanks

areyouken.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

not really on topic, but that image reminded me of this

"HADDOCKEN" :D

haddocken01.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What brand of joypad are you using (Microsoft/Madcatz?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

official ms, dont think it is common ground.

do you have a soldering iron?

also, are these solder points throughhole or surface mount?

Also, the cable you are trying to solder to the PCB, is it multi-strand? (if so, thinning would make the whole process a lot easier for you)

cable is similar to one that comes in those sticks, only , most solder points are big, i need to scrub off some black stuff [sand paper?]
    but theres one ground point that is tiny and its between two other points, which the wire cannot touch, and since it will be my first time soldering, im expecting huge blobs !?

• Advertisement

Ok, is it
    360_diagram6.jpg
    or
    360_diagram1.jpg
    ??

Secondly, PUT THE SANDPAPER AWAY!
    At most, you'll need to gently scratch away with a scalpel tip or jeweler's screwdriver.

As for the soldering part, what I do (works 99% of the time) is to:
    • Use stranded (NOT solid!) wire --- old ATA cables are great for this.
    • Heat up your soldering iron.
    • Now, melt the solder onto the wire so that a tiny, pinhead sized amount is left. Trim away any unwanted cable (and even unwanted solder)
    • Finally, touch the solder pinhead to your soldering point, and gently use the soldering iron's tip to melt the solder pinhead.
    If you've done it right, the solder point should be strong enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

why use stranded cable? I bloody hate soldering the stuff! I thought something more along the lines of kenyar would suit this job better?

Im actually doing a bit of soldering to a 360 controller soon so I'll let you know how i get on

Thanks , its the 2nd one but see on the far far left, the middle little silver , i need to solder wire to that without it touching the other two?

thanks

@witnessmenow: For PCB work you should ALWAYS use stranded, NEVER solid (unless it's really thin, IIRC 26AWG or higher).
    The reason is that with solid, you run a much higher chance of accidentally pulling on the cable & then ripping the soldered contact off, as it has less give than stranded.

@Placebo: Just "tin" the wire (coat it with solder), leaving a tiny blob of solder behind.
    Trim the wire so that it's just the blob (again, pinhead-sized or smaller), then put it on the contact.
    Secure the wire to the PCB with electrical tape, and VERY CAREFULLY use your soldering iron to melt the solder blob onto the contact.
    Test.
    Repeat if necessary.

*note* This works for me most of the time; if anyone has a better method, please post!

*edit*
    Oh yeah, I honestly would consider getting a Madcatz 4716 from Argos instead.
    Much simpler PCB, nice big soldering points, common ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The probem with doing a small bit of soldering is people normally buy irons that are far too big!

Thats acutally a relatively easy point if you have the right stuff. Do you have an iron already? Unfortunatly its pretty tough to buy decent irons in this country. Mine is an adjustable solder station from dealextreme

Maybe somethign like this. Its hard to tell without actually seeing it but you are looking for one with a small pointed head. ;16 expect to pay over €25 for it here though :(

This one here looks interesting too. It has changeable heads so one of them will be what your looking for. For what you are getting its much better than the maplin one at €35, but if you are only going to use it for this you might be better off getting the maplin one.

If you get into a bit of bother you are best off backing away form it for a while for two reasons:

1) Calm yourself down :)

2) Give the board time to cool down. If you heat solder pads too much you could end up lifting them(taking the metal away, not good!)

I'd love to give you a hand with it but im actually up the walls for the next month and I'm never in Dublin. If you have any questions feel free to ask and i'll do my best to answer and keep us posted how you are getting on!

EDIT: @ Kokiki : Kenyar is super thin and very flexible single core, its what you'd use to install mod chips

EDIT:EDIT: sorry it should be spelt kynar

• Advertisement

yeah what Kiki said can work. Also, OP that solder point looks fine, if you do what Kiki says (thin the stranded wire before soldering) there shouldn't be any chance of accidentally soldering to the adjoining solder points.

Use something to secure the wire and pcb in place before soldering, so that you merely have to touch the soldering iron off the wire to press it into place.

I use one of these for solder work, you can pick them up cheaply in maplins.

But on occasion I've just taped down the PCB and wire in place and then soldered that way

thanks yall
    is this the pcb
    http://slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram4.jpg

for

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500001501&langId=-1&searchTerms=MAD+CATZ

the directional pad wires seem to be going all over the gaf?
    why is there two grounds?
    directional joy only has 5 wires coming out of it [i think]

Nope, the current Argos ones are a variation on Madcatz Late 4716:
    http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/pcb_diagrams/360_diagram3.jpg
    which is common-ground (1 ground).

However, the actual ground point has been moved (just have a look, should be clear enough).

since each stick button has 2 wires, do i have to join them all then connect to button ground?

That works; just make sure you connect to the same tab on each microswitch (e.g., only the outside tab).

ok think il just get the argos pad,
    what a waste of a few months.

how do i identify that the wire is stranded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This is why I stick to converters!

ps2 to 360 ? dont think theres any good ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Placebo wrote: »
    ps2 to 360 ? dont think theres any good ones

There is the Max Shooter by Mayflash. Works well but is not compatible with the HRAP 2

i have my hrap 2 working.
    thanks ciaran

Watch out world.

Time to up my game and learn sf4

• Advertisement

LOL just sent you a PM for help -- turns out I didn't need to! :D

best place to get semistu [sp?] buttons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I roll with ArcadeShop.DE
    IMHO best seller in Europe.

Oh yeah -- whatever you do, DON'T BUY Seimitsu PS-15 (Short) buttons, they feel horrible due to using a Seimitsu 24mm microswitch instead of Seimitsu's 30mm.
    I thought they were OK at first, but as soon as I switched back to PS-14/Sanwa OBSFs... my god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I roll with ArcadeShop.DE
    IMHO best seller in Europe.

I find them a bit slow though. Starcab delivered faster for me (although their delivery cost was higher)

well hrap 2 only fits 30mm,

i need snap in's, looking for luminous, but they only have screw in's in arcade shop. Starcab only has plain colours :(

Luminous?
    Well, ArcadeShop do Seimitsu PS-14-K (translucent) snap-ins.

Anyway, you can use screw-ins on HRAPS, only prob is they usually cost a few cent more than snap-ins! :p

think screw'ins have different connector things,
    thanks for link, found it, trying to get pink, out of stock :pac::pac::pac:

Nah, screw-ins have the same microswitch, just are held in the panel by the screw ring rather than the tabs under the bezel.

• Advertisement

have u tried screw in's on a hrap2 type interface, apparently its a bit fidgety, might require some sanding..

Advertisement