Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you need soakers as well as flashing - if so why?

Options
  • 05-06-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

coming to a side abutment on a slate roof, and just wondering if anyone knows do you need soakers as well as flashing - if so why?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

yes you need soakers this is to stop any water that is driven in under the flashing leaking in to the roof space Look at it this way if water gets in under the flashing it has to go uphill to get past the soakers
    (soakers are usualy made from 9 inch lead folder in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Off course you do as explained above also the plaster needs a flat surface to fit his stop bead for a good finish and water seal . For slating i use a 150*75mm press metal soaker {same color as slate ie. bule back } its a lot neater and no runs from lead . But you have to use a 150mm flashing remember to give it 2 coats of patination oil all four sides and cuts ends , Lead runs on a roof dont look well .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Pressed metal will be leaking in about ten years, depending on the location, steel sitting in water = rust.

Aluminum can be bought fairly cheap and does a good job, lead or copper would be my preferred options while it's not always possible use a minimum height of 4" (100mm) and 5" (125mm) out to the slate, if you must use a lower height fold the top forming a water check to prevent water going over the top of the soaker.

If you are using Tegral or similar fibre cement slates and the area is exposed you will need to hole each cut slate (150mm) and the full slate underneath to fit the copper crampion or the half slates will lift and are prone to breaking in the wind.

I hope the above is of help.

Advertisement