Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 05-06-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I used a premier scientific calculator for the maths exam but the paper asked for the make and model number of it. It didnt have any number on it except one on the back that seemed to be to do with the battery. Do you think they will question the fact that theres no model number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

honestly, most likely :S

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Ahhhhhh crap! Now my heart is pounding in my chest! I feel sick!
    Stupid calculator! It was a real cheap one for like,6 quid coz my proper one broke....ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

all you have to do is hold onto the calculator till august and if you get a dodgy result because of not putting down a model number you have your proof.....can't see it being a prob in the meantime though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Not a chance. They are looking for papers that suddenly have big complexicated sums in too short a space (i.e. You suddenly know all 3 roots of a cubic equation)

Don't worry. I've never heard of anyone getting rapped for a calculator. Relax, if it didn't have a model number that isn't you fault :)

EDIT: But seriously, relax :)

the only reason i reckon they want model numbers is to check if its a programmable calculator which are not allowed

• Advertisement

also if the invigilator didn't say anything as your script was collected then there's nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

you'll be grand! if it there's no really hard stuff with little workings in your exams you'll be fine. plus I doubt they actually look at the calculator thing anyway

pathway33 wrote: »
    also if the invigilator didn't say anything as your script was collected then there's nothing to worry about
    well actually as i was walkin out the door she made a 'ahermmm' noise and pointed vaguely at my page so i looked back at her and she didnt say anythin else,she just stood there.and since it was in the middle of the exam i had to walk out coz i was distractin everyone. I wonder if thats why she made that noise,because she saw there was no product number...
    I got home today and found the instruction booklet for the calculator and it wasnt in it,then i found the packaging at the bottom of my bag and thats the only place the product no. is written. Its KC S56 Premier.
    I wonder if i memorise the code for monday and put it on paper two will it be ok then?Im absoultely brickin it now...tryin to chill out but i felt like for once i did well in maths and now theres a chance my honesty will be called into question...im sure i passed the test but i dont tink i had any big mad perfect equations or anythin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I seriously wouldn't worry about it, especially if you put it on paper 2

ok i will do that and hope for the best. Urgh this is what i hate about state exams...the serious stuff never bothers me but all the little things have me goin gaga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Jade182 wrote: »
    ok i will do that and hope for the best. Urgh this is what i hate about state exams...the serious stuff never bothers me but all the little things have me goin gaga!

Relax. Unless its you did some serious calcs without showing work (i.e. Huge Complex roots with a massive cubic sort of thing) you are fine. Its not worth any marks to put it down and they certainly won't mark you down. I'd say it happens all the time, we all know how focused we can become in an exam and forget to write it down. Relax!

Advertisement