Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Subversion Server

Options
  • 05-06-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. I am in the process of setting up subversion to manage my source code and documents that I have for different clients. I do some web development in my spare time and want to operate some form of source control and in turn a means of back up of the documents.

I am going to install VisualSVN Server on a server but the question I have is around where I install it. I have 3 options

a. On my PC but not a fan of this
    b. I currently have a VPS supplied by blacknight for my clients websites. There is 3 sites on it with MS SQL Server back end etc. I was thinking about installing it on this server and use a client to conect to it etc. But is there any performance issues around this, would it cause any issues for the hosted sites? Any views on this?
    c. My final option is to purchase a small server, keep it at home and install home server on it similar to this approach -> http://www.hanselman.com/blog/RunningASubversionServerOffYourWindowsHomeServer.aspx

Feedback would be great and appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Why not use a service like www.springloops.com for the SVN and www.getdropbox.com for your document backups?

This is what I use and it works a treat.

Rgds, Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

As DJB points out, a hosted/cloud-based service might be your best bet. There's a variety of project hosting services available that support SVN and plenty of handy tools besides. Saw this one mentioned on some blogs recently - looks interesting, though I've never used it myself;
    http://projectlocker.com/

Hosting a repository on your local PC is certainly a straightforward option, I've done it before for various projects. That might take a bit more doing if you want external access from elsewhere though, which the online hosted options provide by definition.

If do go down that route (or the home server), make absolutely sure you have regular, reliable, offsite backups set up from day 0, or you will get burned sooner or later. Hard drives fail, PCs get coffeed, houses get burgled, etc. That applies to the hosted services too, though it's less urgent assuming you trust their backup and security solutions to a reasonable degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Why not set it up on a Pc and then back it up on a daily basis. you can perform a hot swap backup on the repository and export them to a backup location. Just be sure to test out the backing up and restoring so you are sure your doing it correctly, You dont want to find out you missed something when its too late.

I use Subversion over http / https hosted on apache on a specified port so as not to interfere with web development. Works like a charm once its setup and creating new repositories is just a right click away.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

DJB wrote: »
    Why not use a service like www.springloops.com for the SVN and www.getdropbox.com for your document backups?

This is what I use and it works a treat.

Rgds, Dave

Thanks for this repy Dave. I have at present 17 sites I want to host so springloops may end up expensive, unless there are any other compaies providing a similar service?

Alternatively, any suggestions as to where I might buy a server to achieve the above? Any good deals about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

To be honest, the regular SVN server is very lightweight, you can easily run it on Blacknight.

But maybe a more flexible move would be something like Git or Mercurial. That way you can run it both off your home PC/small server and Blacknight, so you have both full availability and backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

To be honest, the regular SVN server is very lightweight, you can easily run it on Blacknight.

But maybe a more flexible move would be something like Git or Mercurial. That way you can run it both off your home PC/small server and Blacknight, so you have both full availability and backup.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have taken a look at springloops and it does interest me. Looking at the €160 a year option for 25 repositiories / sites.

It is tempting to install on my VPS, but this is a live server, so it may not be the best approach putting development code, source control on a LIVE box.

Looking at purchasing a server, which would be something basic increases the workload but may be an interesting option to take. I am currently working part time but want to have the right structures in place so I can be in a position to expand. A server would enable this, could anyone recommend a server that may suit my needs? How much would I be looking to spend on such a device?

Advertisement