Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALDI polarised Sunglasses

• 05-06-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭

hi all
    just picked up a pair for driving. very nice with good sizes ( for those of us with big heads containing lots of brains ).
    €4.99
    they are polarised too so cant go wrong really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

davgtrek wrote: »
    hi all
    just picked up a pair for driving. very nice with good sizes ( for those of us with big heads containing lots of brains ).
    €4.99
    they are polarised too so cant go wrong really.

Must say I don't like polarised glasses for driving. Any I've tried have caused distortions on other peoples windscreens i.e. I couldn't see occupants of other cars from certain angles. Maybe they were just the wrong type of polarisation.

I find a good quality non-polarised, brown tinted lens best for driving. The brown tint enhances the green, orange and red colours that are important when driving.

Thanks for the tip though - I'm sure they'd be great for cycling etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Any images or links please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Good call... been meaning to find a cheap pair over the last few days. Sure they only ever last a few weeks before I bloody sit on them or something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

denat wrote: »
    I couldn't see occupants of other cars from certain angles.

Surely it's safer if you are looking at the cars themselves than trying to peer in at the occupants whilst driving? For that purpose then they are better if they help negate the normal glare against traffic.

Surely it's safer if you are looking at the cars themselves than trying to peer in at the occupants whilst driving? For that purpose then they are better if they help negate the normal glare against traffic.

If an explanation is needed for some people, it's an indication that polarised lenses distort vision in some situations and are therefore not ideal for driving. It's a fact rather than a point of argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Are these in store now or coming during the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Well, the OP picked up a pair yesterday.....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Yes they are in stores at moment.
    I always thought that polarised glasses were most effective at reflective light hitting you at angles rather than general glare as such. so fishing looking into water it cuts out reflected light and you see into water. o assumed then that the same principal applied to reflected light off wet roads , windscreens etc.

regardless i always sit on them or break them so for a fiver no problemo.
    the aldi glasses are categorised from 1-3 levels of strength. cat 4 is unsuitable for driving. i got cat 3 and they are ideal. the cat rating is printed on the arm of the glasses and not the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

denat wrote: »
    If an explanation is needed for some people, it's an indication that polarised lenses distort vision in some situations and are therefore not ideal for driving. It's a fact rather than a point of argument.

Your problem with windscreens is more to do with the ceramic tints used in certain car makes/models "interfering" with the polarisation in the glasses...the reason you can't see occupants in some other vehicles is that their w'screen and your glasses are like two very fine meshes that you can normally see through, but when you move either mesh it blocks most of the light that normally passed through either of the meshes. This is less likely to happen with purer optical material in the lenses; ie the more expensive brands (but it does still happen). Polarisation itself does not distort vision...that's more down to the curavture of the lens.

Picked up a pair of these for work myself the other day...nothing like painting white exterior walls in bright sunshine to make you prematurely blind...

Wertz wrote: »
    Your problem with windscreens is more to do with the ceramic tints used in certain car makes/models "interfering" with the polarisation in the glasses...the reason you can't see occupants in some other vehicles is that their w'screen and your glasses are like two very fine meshes that you can normally see through, but when you move either mesh it blocks most of the light that normally passed through either of the meshes. This is less likely to happen with purer optical material in the lenses; ie the more expensive brands (but it does still happen). Polarisation itself does not distort vision...that's more down to the curavture of the lens.

Thank you for that explanation - it makes sense. I've found that Renault windscreens, in particular, react with my polarised glasses.

And I accept your point that polarisation, in itself, does not distort vision. It can simply prevent vision in certain (maybe unlikely) circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i cannot see the people in cars any way

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭stek

Thanks, got a pair today, they were in with all the fishing gear in the shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭pathogan2008

Thanks op!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Got a pair the other day but I wear glasses so I'm hoping to try them out with the contacts this weekend.

Cheers OP

Advertisement