Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insurance paid but can I bring my car to cheaper place?

• 05-06-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I was involved in the accident where liability rests with the other side. My claim was settled and I got a cheque based on the invoice I got from the dealer. My question is - may I bring my car for repairing to another place where I can fix it for much less amount? I don't think it's any kind of insurance fraud, as the invoice I gave to the insurance company was based on dealers estimates. And it is my choice where to fix my car afterwards (including the quality and blah blah).

So, I guess my question is - will it be OK to fix my car in a different place or I should follow the invoice I gave to the insurance? Anyone had such experience?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi,

I was involved in the accident where liability rests with the other side. My claim was settled and I got a cheque based on the invoice I got from the dealer. My question is - may I bring my car for repairing to another place where I can fix it for much less amount? I don't think it's any kind of insurance fraud, as the invoice I gave to the insurance company was based on dealers estimates. And it is my choice where to fix my car afterwards (including the quality and blah blah).

So, I guess my question is - will it be OK to fix my car in a different place or I should follow the invoice I gave to the insurance? Anyone had such experience?

Thanks.

I doubt the insurance company were flinging money at you anyway, so you can bring it wherever you want after they have paid you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

not too sure but was it settled out of court? if so i'd be thinking if it's paid it's paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 student2008

Thanks for replies.

No, it was settled by insurance company itself. few phone calls and couple of weeks waiting time :)

The original invoice was brought down by 10%, after insurance spoke to the dealer :D But dealer agreed to fix it for less money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi,

Thanks.

The insurance have compensated you for their estimate of the value of the damage done to the car. It's up to you what you do with the cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The insurance have compensated you for their estimate of the value of the damage done to the car. It's up to you what you do with the cheque.

Yes, even if you decided not to fix it but sell it as is, it is no concern of the insurance company.
    Also, you would be foolish to actually pay the amount of the invoice to a garage to repair your car. Typically, the invoice that went to insurance company will have new parts listed for everything that was damaged, examples:
    wheel slightly scuffed in crash.... new one will be listed on invoice
    Tiny mark on a light that will polish away.... new one listed on invoice.

There will be loads of things like this where you can save big time and in many cases garages will not replace as they can be brought back perfectly but if you just offer them the cheque, they MIGHT not tell you that they saved some items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

is the cheque in your name or the dealers name? if its in your name you can do what you want with it if its in the dealers name you will probaly have to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 student2008

rocknchef wrote: »
    is the cheque in your name or the dealers name? if its in your name you can do what you want with it if its in the dealers name you will probaly have to go there.

the cheque is in my name and has been lodged already :) So, I guess I need to start looking for a cheaper place :D

Thanks everyone for response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I thought it was more common that the insurer pay the dealer directly?

Anyway, as others said, if you were paid, you can take the car anywhere to be fixed. In fact, you don't even have to get it fixed at all!

Advertisement