Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British can vote in Dáil Elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭squonk

Is this not one of the things we voted for inthe GFA? It kind of makes sense in that way if, some day, the Shinners get their way and we all end up one happy little country?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Yes , the Irish have always been able to vote in Britain.

I being British can also vote here , except on constitutional matters , because after all the constitution is nothing to do with me ( except I should respect/abide it )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It's been there for quite a few years.

Irish people have been given a privilaged position in the UK in relation to voting rights, joining the armed forces and a bunch of other things since the UK's Ireland Act of 1949. We're generally treated at least as equal to a commonwealth country, quite often much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Interesting. There is a hint of the GFA about it. I never even realised this until I heard on the radio today. But can anyone confirm where's its origin lies?

Edit: Thanks Moriarty. Good job on that tribunal by the way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Davidth88 wrote: »

I being British can also vote here , except on constitutional matters , because after all the constitution is nothing to do with me ( except I should respect/abide it )
    Fair play David - very measured, matter of fact response - not used to that on boards! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

I never even realised this until I heard on the radio today. But can anyone confirm where's its origin lies?
    Neighbourly co-operation

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

http://www.migrationwatch.org/briefingPaper/document/81

Who has the Right to Vote in Britain?

3 British electoral law provides for the citizens of nearly fifty Commonwealth countries, British Dependent Territories, and the Republic of Ireland to vote in both local and general elections in the UK. The Representation of the People Act, 1918, provided that only British subjects could register as electors. However, the term British subject included any person who, at that time, owed allegiance to the Crown, regardless of the crown territory in which they were born. This included Commonwealth citizens and has never been revised.

4 Entitlement to vote in general elections is reciprocated for UK citizens only in the Republic of Ireland and a small number of (mainly West Indian) countries: Antigua & Barbuda; Dominica; Grenada; Guyana; Jamaica; Mauritius; St. Lucia and St. Vincent & The Grenadines.

5 Citizens of other EU countries may vote in European Parliamentary and local elections but not in general elections. There are reciprocal arrangements for British citizens resident in other EU countries to vote in local elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Cool , so if I ever chose to move to Mauritius I can vote there !

Nice one

Thanks ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Cool , so if I ever chose to move to Mauritius I can vote there !

Me too, but I think I'll stay here for now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

The logic is, if you are resident here you deserve to be represented.

In the same way the citizens of the EU can vote in local and Euro elections and non-EU citizens can vote in locals.

Obviously its also partly historical, to accommodate British people who were left south of the border. It is something I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We Brits cannot vote for El Presidente either, not that much of a democratic loss admitedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This thread about something that has always existed as if it it was new is typical of the level of attention paid to politics in this country.

Advertisement