Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prototype Reviews ?

• 05-06-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

How come there are no reviews yet, and it's out in 7 days ? Seems strange. Nothing even on metacritic. Thought some sites/mags would have got review copies by now. The only half decent thing I found was the preview on EG

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/prototype-hands-on_4

Maybe it sucks and nothing has been sent out for review because of this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Must just be a review embargo on it, I'm sure they'll start pouring in soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Flaccus wrote: »
    Maybe it sucks and nothing has been sent out for review because of this ?
    tman wrote: »
    Must just be a review embargo on it, I'm sure they'll start pouring in soon...

review copies were allegedly posted out earlier this week. we havent received ours and i havent heard of anyone who has received theirs

general rule of thumb is the later the review copy is sent out the suckier the game is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 tuffenuff

seen it has got 9/10 im PSW and 8/10 in OPM browising in Easons. Looks good, not sure how simalar to Infamous though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

No review for such a largely hyped game can only mean the game is going to be toilet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah I really have my doubts about this one despite feeling excited about playing it. Played the infamous demo the other day and it was a good laugh. Hopefully prototype will deliver something unique and not just a crackdown rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

For anyone thinking of getting it gamesnash are doing a special pre-order deal for boardsies.
    Details here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Its pretty good from the small bit ive played of it, feels alot like crackdown except you can run up walls vertically and you are extremely powerful, alot more so than the guy from infamous.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

I was wondering the same thing about the lack of reviews. And PSW was in a sealed bag in case someone could look at the magazine before buying it:p.

I might just be an old cynic but I agree with Helix. If a game isn't given out for review before it's released there's usually a reason. My guess for this is it's going to be very short*.

*Disclaimer: This is based on nothing but my own pessimistic nature :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

This game is unbelievable, the freedom of movement in the game is just unreal. Graphics and motion are spot on, no slow-down, no matter what is on-screen, Infamous is boring in comparision to this. By no means is this game pants, it will take u whole at the intro, swallow u up and spit u out leaving u thinking, if thats the beginning, what else is there to be offered...trust me, you won't be disappointed.

C|F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

So I take it you've played the game through ? review copy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

His sig says he has an iXtreme on his 360, so I guess its by shady means. :)
    A few people on my friends list are playing so I guess the game is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah it was leaked last earlier in the week

obscenely, before review copies are out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

it will take u whole at the intro, swallow u up and spit u out leaving u thinking, if thats the beginning, what else is there to be offered
    Dan LaFontaine.. is that you?

All that was missing there was "In a world where.."!

HA! :D

Well I'm looking forward to it anyway. Hopefully it's as good or better than Infamous. I need to take a break from GtaIV and Fallout3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,788 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm remaining very hopeful for this game. The developer has a very good track record with open world games and made The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction which is very similar to prototype and a damn fine and underrated game. They also did scarface which was far better than it should have been, it was like a drug dealing business sim with GTA missions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Might end up getting this next month if it turns out to be decent, liking the sound of the previews at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Cold|Fusion

basquille wrote: »
    Dan LaFontaine.. is that you?

All that was missing there was "In a world where.."!

HA! :D

I didnt get this until I googled the name, but now I lol.

On a side note, my copy of Infamous arrived today...no Uncharted 2 beta code, i'm pissed!

C|F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 tuffenuff

some links to positive feedback, I cant wait, saw in Gamestopyou get a free figure of the character

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/sites/psw/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Is it not a bit strange this game has no reviews yet apart from one 90 from a playstation mag?

The games out today in america and surely ign and co would have had reviews ready to go up if there was an embargo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I don't trust reviews for the most part TBH but would it kill game companies to make a demo available before the game is released? That's the only way I've found to reliably judge how much I'll enjoy (or hate) any given game and good demos have made me buy games I wasn't even thinking of getting in the first place. Of course, terrible demos have also steered me clear of overhyped crap so I can understand why certain companies are hesitant to release them (or release them before the game) - and that's not usually a good sign...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

J-blk wrote: »
    I don't trust reviews for the most part TBH but would it kill game companies to make a demo available before the game is released? That's the only way I've found to reliably judge how much I'll enjoy (or hate) any given game and good demos have made me buy games I wasn't even thinking of getting in the first place. Of course, terrible demos have also steered me clear of overhyped crap so I can understand why certain companies are hesitant to release them (or release them before the game) - and that's not usually a good sign...

Yeah I agree. But when you have these review embargos thats a sure sign that something is up. I think it happened with Assassins Creed aswell and that ended up being pretty ****e.

Tis very strange theres no reviews out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

joe123 wrote: »
    Tis very strange theres no reviews out...

I think the game is already out in the US. So yeah, it is very odd we haven't seen any reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

wes wrote: »
    I think the game is already out in the US. So yeah, it is very odd we haven't seen any reviews.

It's because it's not that good. I've played the first couple of hours and it's just a very 'meh' game. Graphics/animation are pretty bad by current gen standards. Story/voice acting, also pretty bad. Controls are also a bit fiddly.

There are some great ideas in the game, but they just seem to be poorly executed and the sloppy presentation really lets it down.

In my opinion, inFamous electro ****es all over this game, the fact that inFamous is even out there makes this game look all the worse. Really disappointing as I was probably looking forward to this more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Oh well, I still have Infamous to finish in the mean time.

Someone else on this thread who played Prototype said it was brilliant and Infamous was boring in comparison. The opposite to what was posted above by another user. I guess we will have to wait for the reviews and/or demo and make up our minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Flaccus wrote: »
    Someone else on this thread who played Prototype said it was brilliant and Infamous was boring in comparison. The opposite to what was posted above by another user. I guess we will have to wait for the reviews and/or demo and make up our minds.

Of course what I posted was just my own opinion, and to be honest it's defo not the worst game out there, but very very far from great. Another thing to keep in mind is something I heard the guys on one of the 1UP podcasts say a while back, basically they said like 90% of the times that a publisher has a review embargo on a game that extends past the release date, it's usually because the publisher has gotten wind of some early bad reviews. Extending the embargo until after release gives them a higher chance of at least some strong early sales from the people that were hyped up for the game.

Yeah, I'll most definitely approach this one with caution and wait until there is a sizeable amount of reviews out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

Maybe it's abit better than infamous, im not that hyped when playing infamous tbh its a ok game for me... yes! the graphics is good but its abit repetitive and it took ages before you fight a boss the enemies are abit annoying i must say...

add me up lads
    jomz27.png

card.png

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Amazon.com doesn't have it in stock till the 15th, so I don't think it's out in the US

Edit: http://www.1up.com/boards/posts/list/38906.page?escapeContext#1521791 one of the 1up guys says reviews are embargoed until the 10th

"I don't have any inside info on their thinking but I'd guess that a.) they wanted to release the game as soon as possible once it was done as the reason behind the E3 timing and b.) hold the reviews so they didn't washed out in the E3 news wave last week."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

whitetrash wrote: »
    Amazon.com doesn't have it in stock till the 15th, so I don't think it's out in the US

It's out today in the U.S afaik

Advertisement