Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prototype Reviews ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

okay my opinion on this game is this.

its great fun!!!!

i have finished all the missions and i have to say its a pretty decent story line compared to other games i have played.

it is great fun to pick up the pad and just run around(what seems to be an almost exact copy of new york)

havent gotten any draw distance problems as mention before on this thread.

would easily give this an 8/10, only reason its not a 9 or 10 is that it doesnt take to long to complete the missions and then you are left doing all the events and well consuming everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

To be honest lads, the only "review" that matters is your own. Granted reading reviews online can help a bit when it comes to buying the game, but a lot of them should be taken with a pinch of salt cos you may have different gaming likes/dislikes to the person who wrote the review.

Just my 2 cents :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Why do people even bother with Eurogamer ?

Its been proven they barely even play some of the games they review and just make stuff up based on trailers etc.

I'll wait for gametrailers and personal opinions of people here rather than Internet review sites. Eurogamer barely ever give good scores anyways. Everything seems to be 65-75

Ill buy it anyways im sure as i need something to keep me ticking over till batman comes out !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

I think too many games are getting high undeserved scores, i guess if you play a game for 8 hours then write a review its going to be very different from a review you would write after 2 weeks playing it.

GTA being a prime example it came out and got 10/10 all over the place everyone was jumping on anyone that didnt like it then a few weeks later people have got 30 % through it got bored and wandered off. And change their mind to oh yea its about a 7/10 actually.

7/10 i reckon are good score for infamous/prototype style games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jomz27

Moiph wrote: »
    To be honest lads, the only "review" that matters is your own. Granted reading reviews online can help a bit when it comes to buying the game, but a lot of them should be taken with a pinch of salt cos you may have different gaming likes/dislikes to the person who wrote the review.

Just my 2 cents :)

i agree with you mate reviewers gave Star Ocean: The Last Hope a low score like 7.5 and some are 8.0 which i think the game deserve more than that for me that is one of the best rpg game out so far this next gen. if you guys havent play it im telling yall it's very addictive game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I got to play this for a while tonight and it's not a bad game. It's nothing special, but it's fun. I only got to play the first 3 or 4 missions and spent a lot of time just jumping around the city.

It's graphics aren't great. They spent a lot of time on the gore and little on the surroundings. I kind of found it hard to see what I was trying to shoot. I was trying not to blow my disguise by not killing soldiers, but they automatically target and I couldn't really tell what I was shooting at. It's also kind of hectic when you're surrounded by enemies and they're all knocking you around.

The controls are grand, I suppose. I was using an 360 controller and the controls are mapped out well. My main problem with them is the "air dash" that you can do. What it does is let when you're in the air, you tap the right trigger and you get a bit of a boost. This allows you to quickly change direction. The problem is, when you're trying to do little maneuvers, you end up overshooting by miles. There's little mini-games, like checkpoint races, that require you to be accurate, so when a slight tap of a button can send you in the wrong direction at a seconds notice with no possibility of making up the lost time, you get very frustrated very quickly. I tried a couple of these side games a few times over and just never want to go near them ever again.

The powers are pretty cool. You can set several combinations of powers that are all accessible on the direction pad and they can be pretty effective. They're split up between disguises, offensive powers, defensive powers and, I think, vision powers. Not sure about the last one, but the only power in it that I unlocked was an enhanced vision, so I'm sticking to that.

As you kill stuff, you get XP to spend on upgrading your powers and unlocking new ones. I'm not sure how many powers there are to unlock, but I get the feeling that by the end of the game you'll have unlocked them all. Personally, I'd kind of prefer if you had to make a decision to unlock certain ones, so you'd have to choose if you were going to be a stealthy player, an offensive player or defensive player, etc. But that's just me.

It's hard not to compare it to Infamous. The graphics aren't as good. The powers are more varied. So far the story seems better (but as I said, I'm not that far into it). The map is bigger. Travelling is faster and more fun in this. And I suppose, this is more fun. Infamous seems a more serious game, where as this is just a violent messy bit of fun. Oh, and also, you don't have silly moral choices. You just kill everyone you want.

I'm not sure if I'll buy this. I'd probably rent it, or buy it if I see it going cheap. It's a bit of fun, but nothing great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Flaccus wrote: »
    well that's me out. oh well. roll on forza3,odst,mod.warfare2 etc..

lol..told you flaccus but you wouldn't listen to me...
    sick of being right all the time with you :D

And MW2? come off it dude...u suck at fps games..:)

here's the video review of stupid ign everyone...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/950254/prototype/videos/prototype_review_061009.html;jsessionid=2dvesjl2jbrq

i feel very disappointed... oh well everyone has different taste of games so some people will like and some don't...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Where are people getting this game from. It's not out yet is it ? I know some people get review copies as they review for mags/websites but I suspect most are not which sickens me to be honest.

lol..told you flaccus but you wouldn't listen to me...
    sick of being right all the time with you :D

And MW2? come off it dude...u suck at fps games..:)

You should keep your mouth shut. You harped on about Asassins Creed being a rubbish game over it being repetitive which some reviews said was the case. But the fact is you never tried it so weren't qualified to judge as far as I'm concerned. I actually liked the game and so did others and I know some didn't on this forum. But I didn't base my opinion on looking at some reviews on metacritic and forcing your views on people. You said the same about Pure being rubbish even before it was out (including reviews), and even though the vast majority of reviews praised it. Your reasoning this time was because it's a game advertised on TV and all games advertsied on TV are rubbish. Great logic that. You also claimed Killzone 2 sucked. Again you didn't even try it, and reasoning was fps games are poor on consoles. I could go on. Mario Galaxy is childish you said. You didn't even play it. As for this game in question. Yes, poor draw distance is being reported in reviews but at least 2 people on this forum have said that's not an issue for them and this game is fun. Going by the user review from Humanji, I've revised my opinion now and I'll continue to be open minded on this and pay attention to the people on this thread who will review it. And I think you should keep your opinions (which are nothing more then trying to force your views on others) and insults to yourself since you obviously aren't qualified to have an opinion of any value given your criteria for reviewing games is so childish. In other words, please go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Flaccus wrote: »
    You should keep your mouth shut. You harped on about Asassins Creed being a rubbish game over it being repetitive which some reviews said was the case. But the fact is you never tried it so weren't qualified to judge as far as I'm concerned. I actually liked the game and so did others and I know some didn't on this forum. But I didn't base my opinion on looking at some reviews on metacritic and forcing your views on people. You said the same about Pure being rubbish even before it was out (including reviews), and even though the vast majority of reviews praised it. Your reasoning this time was because it's a game advertised on TV and all games advertsied on TV are rubbish. Great logic that. You also claimed Killzone 2 sucked. Again you didn't even try it, and reasoning was fps games are poor on consoles. I could go on. Mario Galaxy is childish you said. You didn't even play it. As for this game in question. Yes, poor draw distance is being reported in reviews but at least 2 people on this forum have said that's not an issue for them and this game is fun. Going by the user review from Humanji, I've revised my opinion now and I'll continue to be open minded on this and pay attention to the people on this thread who will review it. And I think you should keep your opinions (which are nothing more then trying to force your views on others) and insults to yourself since you obviously aren't qualified to have an opinion of any value given your criteria for reviewing games is so childish. In other words, please go away.

jesus..you really go on...i fell asleep reading after the 1st sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Flaccus, tone it down please, you are very close to the personal abuse rule, and rants tend to give me a headache anyway.

Consider this post a warning, another outburst like that and I'll be forced to do things to you...bad things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

I posted my comment in the Playstation section as I got it on the PS3. For anyone who's interested here it is:

My rating 8/10.

Just my point on this debate. I got a promotional copy of Prototype on Tuesday. The game has not left my PS3 since. I'm only on Day 4 of the infection with 20% of the population infected and the story has me hooked. There's plenty of new abilities to upgrade to with experience points and you can cause absolute chaos if you so wish. The shapeshifting is cool aswell. Nothing like sprinting into an Army strong point and grabbing hold of a Captain and taking him up to the top of a building and consuming him so as to gain access to an Army building.
    You can also play through stealthily. Shapeshift into a soldier and use their tanks and helicopters to complete missions.
    I can wholeheartedly say I would recommend this game to anyone. Only played the demo of Infamous so cant comment fully on it. But it didn't really tempt me to buy it!! Infamous could be great but as said I cannot judge the game because I only played the demo.

sounds very much like how their hulk game was recieved, its alot of fun, but it has some flaws keeping it from being a classic.

I assume there is no moral dileama in this?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    sounds very much like how their hulk game was recieved, its alot of fun, but it has some flaws keeping it from being a classic.

I haven't spotted any moral dilemma in this, not really a Fallout/Oblivion type of game.

Was up til 3am playing this. What a struggle to get into work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

No dilemma's. Just knock seven shades of shìte out of everything until the game's over.

Considering what people have said on this thread about it, and the video reviews on youtube, I think I'll give it a shot. Do Gamestop still do that 10 day money back thing ?

Anyone got any prices in shops for this?

My mate works in Xtra vision. They are selling it for €49.99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gamestop €55. Where's best for trade-in deals? I've a couple games to get rid of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Gamestop have an okay offer where you get 10, 15 or 20% extra depending on how many games you trade.

I rented it out. I like it, but I've just the interest in the story missions. I am sick of how these game artificially increase their length with stupid mini games. Stick an extra couple of missions on there instead!

I'm loving it so far. I traded in 3 games and got a nice 30 euro off the game in xtravision :)

my first impression is omg it is so fun you'll not gonna mind the flaws of the game because of how awesome the gameplay is and i think the graphics is pretty good too im using 1080p so for me looks amazing....

add me up lads... :D
    jomz27.png

every review of it says the same. There are flaws mostly in the graphics area, but the basic mechanics are so tight and fun that you wont give a damn.

Makes it sound like one of those games that needed a multiplayer mode :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i went for the rental myself, €7.95 for a week in xtravision, why would you buy it with a deal like that?!?!?

i have to say, it's good so far (only played about 2 hours), i was very sceptical, it's nice to be surprised. i'm expecting a few repetitive tedious missions ahead as with all these types of games but so far so good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I've gotten quite far at this stage ("Shock and awe" mission) but I'm only really playing the missions and not much else (later on, the missions themselves give you an insane amount of experience points so you can afford pretty much all the upgrades). The graphics are a bit bland though - the buildings don't have a lot of detail to them and the "glass breaking" effect when you're running up the side of a building is extremely poor.

On the other hand, there are crazy amounts of people on screen at any time and when an all out battle with the military breaks out, there's an insane amount of stuff going on.

However, my gripes are that things do get repetitive, pretty fast and for an all powerful badass, later in the game you can get your a** kicked very easily (the strike teams get a lot harder to beat later on and come down on you almost all the time...).

The control system can be pretty messy too, especially the targeting - yes, I get that it locks onto whatever is most dangerous to me but still, even if I move the right stick to target something else, it keeps flicking back to other targets, very annoying. Switching powers when things get crazy can be hectic too, as you have shortcuts (the D-Pad) for only one of each power type: offensive, defensive, disguise and sensory... So if you want to change between offensive powers mid-fight, it can be tricky...

Finally, in the later missions, the difficulty ramps up big time and really suddenly - even with almost every power upgraded, it can be very hard to survive certain fights.

Still, I will complete the story mode but otherwise, I think it's pretty weak graphics-wise, a bit too repetitive and unbalanced difficulty-wise in some places.

On the other hand, grappling a helicopter and hijacking it or slicing a tank in half is pretty damn cool :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Finished it this morning. I put no more than 6 hours into it. Granted, I didn't bother with any of the fairground side attractions of see how fast you can run through big firey circles, but I'm glad I only rented. Good game, but definitely not worth the full price I could have paid. There is a lot more for me to do if I want to, but having gotten about 400 points, looking at the rest, it just seems like tedious grinding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I was considering getting The Godfather II but would this be worth it instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

hi so prototype seems to be another huge name with big hype that has been less than impressive! bad reviews all over really for a game that was being so talked about!

its a shame that they hype games that are not class like, and before anyone jumps in i know all companies spoof to make money ok?

i will be hanging on until a title worthy of 50 euro comes up!

back to the drawing board, oops i mean fallout 3 lol:o

Advertisement