Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nil Aon Ni-Irish

Options
  • 05-06-2009 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else been told not to do this poem by their teachers due to the recent allegations against the poet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

While our teacher hasn't actually told us not to do it she did say that she didn't think the department would put it on this year

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Thats what I was hoping. I havent got it covered for the exam. I dont think they'll put it up what with the accusations against him...I think its too controversial for them to want to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

we talking higher or ordinary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Ya i wouldn't imagine it will be on.

It would be very funny though if the first question was

"imagine you're a nepalese boy, write a letter to cathal o'searcaigh"

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

You never really can tell, I mean they might just put it on, seeing as he has been left on the course for future years?
    I have it covered just in case, but you could also check past papers to see when it last came up and check if it's likely at all, just so you could defienetly cancel it out or learn just in case :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Both levels as far as I know. I do ordinary and i was told not to do it,and when i mentioned to a mate of mine doing higher,she cringed and said she wasnt learnin his poem. So i assume its on the higher level course and if so,im sure if they exempt ordinary from it for the reason we are discussing,they wont subject higher to it....
    I hope :-S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

We were told that it would come up coz controversial or not the govt. can't really discriminate against the poet when no actual charges were brought against him, or something like that anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I would say it's unlikely to come up, but it's still on the course and there is a chance, so I'd consider any teacher who told students not to study it to be a bit irresponsible.

On the off-chance it does come up I imagine a lot of students will be pretty annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

Just to clear things up... it has been announced that there is no reason Níl Aon Ní won't come up. Cathal Ó Searchaigh probably won't be up on the poets question in the higher course (Q4) but they even hinted that NAN would come up for the poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I really dont get why you wouldn't want it to come up!

It is an incredibly easy poem.

Laziness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Our teacher just barely covered it in the last week. In general the leaving cert papers are extrememly careful about avoiding contravesty after the year they put something about car crashes the year of the sligo school bus crash

Advertisement